Wayne Krantz Keith Carlock Tim Lefebvre
header image 1
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tony Williams Tuning

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Houseofdrumming.com Forum Index -> Drumming Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
alva1414

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:05 pm    Post subject: Tony Williams Tuning Reply with quote

Does anyone know how Tony tuned his toms,foot technique and footloose.

Also, Tony had a insane right foot. Does anyone know what technique he used(heel up,down,heel toe, constant release)

He is the man.I have been listening to a ton of tony and pat petrillio and I am feeling like I am out of my slump. I also got my first real paying gig for the theater production footloose. Anyone have any words of advice or comments about the show?

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The show isn't too difficult, I've done it before. Just relax, follow the conductor and have fun!

In terms of Tony, his drums were tuned high (using think 2 ply heads), and I'd assume used a combination of heel up and down.
drummin1

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TWs later, "big drum" sound was a combination of big drums (Gretsch), tuned pretty high with Remo CS heads. Clear one plys w/ those black dots in the middles. He would run them tops & bottoms....and on the snare...go figure! Most videos I've seen, Tony played heel down, just fast w/ good control.

I don't think Tony ever played Footloose Very Happy
Phil T.

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sat right next to TW's kit at a club once. He played heel down consistently. Very fast and with outstanding control.
Sonorholic

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sometimes the bass drum batter was quite slack. The first time I saw him he had two felt strips on the batter head and almost no tension on it. There was a small piece of carpet in the drum and a full clear head on the front.
This was on the big Yellow kit with a 24" bass drum.

Having said all that, I wouldn't chase his sound too much. You can try opening up the bass drum a little. A lot of Tony's sound was in his hands as it is with all of us.
Sturla

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for fun, a couple of months ago while having listened a lot to Tony, I put on some CS Black Dot heads, top and bottom, on my old Tama Superstar kit ... and when I tuned them quite high, with the top and bottom heads around the same pitch, I kinda got that Tony vibe to it.
I freakin' loved it!
www.myspace.com/orkipanama
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
benrand

PostPosted: Fri May 25, 2007 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen pictures of his snares where the snares look to be 72 strand. Looked to be about 4" wide.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Bulent Akbay

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I watched Tony at Tribute to Miles concert in Istanbul/Turkey. 4 meters behind him at a big basketball hall. His yellow gretsch was there with big toms, high tuned. He has 3 spare snares near him (all same but I think different tuned). When concert started he requested to change the snare from his tech. In a song they switched the snares when Tony playing. He decided one of them.

Concert was amazing. Big drums, heavy hitting and big drum sound. After 15 years I still feel the power and energy.

His right foot is very quick and very powered. unbelievable right foot technique with heel up mostly.

I got his sticks that he played that night. You must see them. They destroyed after one gig.

The sound of Tony is coming from his Gretsch's, cs dot heads, tuning and most imported from his technique. He is hitting very hard and I think this is the key of that sound.

PostPosted: Sat May 26, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tony did tune them high BUT
hit them hard, as well. That
was a big part of the sound.

Think in terms of intervals,
when you tune for Tony or
any sound, really. Tony's
toms really 'opposed' each
other. Think 3's, 4's and 5's.

Heel down, mostly but lev-
eraging against his left foot,
a-lot, when moving the fast-
est and sometimes, even his
throne (left foot on throne).

He was insane. Best ever.
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Houseofdrumming.com Forum Index -> Drumming Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: