Wayne Krantz Keith Carlock Tim Lefebvre
header image 1
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

erskoman coming to Columbia, SC
Goto page 1, 2  Next

This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Houseofdrumming.com Forum Index -> Drumming Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SBdrumz

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 6:45 am    Post subject: erskoman coming to Columbia, SC Reply with quote

HOD East Coast Hang!!!

http://www.zildjian.com/en-us/news/eventsDetail.ad2?eventID=1203

Looking forward to hearing what Peter has to say.

Can't wait to get a Neutral pic taken with him!!

-sb
Miki C.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2010 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool man i love attending peters clinics he tells some funny ass storyies

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

FINALLY! I'm in Charleston, SC - I'll be driving up for this one. See you there.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2010 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sweet...that's 2 of us. Mark Lucas, where you at?
Ghostnoter

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've seen Peter, bugged him for autographs on cd's and have a pic with him. If I'm free, I'll be there. Columbia isn't too far from Charlotte.
I hope Sims Music is a well stocked store, with some goodies I don't see in Charlotte's big box stores. Thanks for the heads up!

G

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely going to try and make it.

Yo Scott! You know my deal here! Got my hands full!! LITERALLY!

Gonna try though, it will be very cool to meet some fellow HOD members.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

G- Sims definitely isn't 'big box'...but it's a great place.

Mark- 'Both' hands full...I know!!!
SBdrumz

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a great clinic! Good turnout, good atmosphere, and free bottled water.
Was nice to finally meet drum6282, especially since we both taught at Sims (also not at the same time!).

Ersko was awesome. Told some great stories and played beautifully in a quartet setting. After the clinic, he did the usual meet-n-greet, and took the time to give a few of us an impromptu brush lesson, and a sweet triplet lick (3 groups of 8 over 2 bars phrased 3-3-2).

I was left with several impressions.
1)He played a wide-open bass drum (with absolutely no muffling since there wasn't a copy of a newspaper laying around). I was blown away by what I could hear of his foot technique when it came to open and closed tones on the bass drum. Pretty awesome, really.
2)His concept of time. Most of us subdivide in our head, but he thinks less quarter note and more upbeat. Maybe this is how he's able to keep that beautiful forward motion in his playing (especially on slow-to-mid-tempo charts). I always feel like I'm trudging through swamp mud on slower tunes...maybe thinking upbeats instead of quarter notes will help.
3)He did a great illustration (hopefully processed by the younger kids in the crowd) of the drummer's main job of keeping time and playing for the song.

Peter-Thanks for coming to our little town and showing us such a good time!

Here's a link to the pics I took w/ my phone:
http://picasaweb.google.com/116729529841479386968/PeterErskine05062010?feat=directlink
ladanny

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NICE!!!! That's very cool a few HODer's were able to hang out.

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Peter Erskine Clinic (Tampa, Florida):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2oKvYj_lLu4

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2010 12:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

amoergosum wrote:

Great find , that song is called the music of my people, really cool song . Pete killed in that clip

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 5:01 am    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

SBdrumz wrote:
What a great clinic! Good turnout, good atmosphere, and free bottled water.
Was nice to finally meet drum6282, especially since we both taught at Sims (also not at the same time!).

Ersko was awesome. Told some great stories and played beautifully in a quartet setting. After the clinic, he did the usual meet-n-greet, and took the time to give a few of us an impromptu brush lesson, and a sweet triplet lick (3 groups of 8 over 2 bars phrased 3-3-2).

I was left with several impressions.
1)He played a wide-open bass drum (with absolutely no muffling since there wasn't a copy of a newspaper laying around). I was blown away by what I could hear of his foot technique when it came to open and closed tones on the bass drum. Pretty awesome, really.
2)His concept of time. Most of us subdivide in our head, but he thinks less quarter note and more upbeat. Maybe this is how he's able to keep that beautiful forward motion in his playing (especially on slow-to-mid-tempo charts). I always feel like I'm trudging through swamp mud on slower tunes...maybe thinking upbeats instead of quarter notes will help.
3)He did a great illustration (hopefully processed by the younger kids in the crowd) of the drummer's main job of keeping time and playing for the song.

Peter-Thanks for coming to our little town and showing us such a good time!

Here's a link to the pics I took w/ my phone:
http://picasaweb.google.com/116729529841479386968/PeterErskine05062010?feat=directlink

Thanks SB, for the mini review! Sounds like sage advice was given. I'm digging drummers who play the bass drum open, the smaller bass drums, 18" or so. Suzi Ibara's latest cd has an amazing ex. of that bought from Papa Jazz, by the way. Thanks, again, SB! Oh, if anyone had a video camera running at one of his clinics!? I am sorry I missed it! Sims is a nice store. Made it down there Sat.
By the way, if you haven't, get Peter's new big band cd. Amazing playing! Pete has certainly from a "listener's" point of view, plays and says more with less, with clarity. Not to take anything away from his younger days...he seems to be more "zen" with his playing. The AJ pro clip is a nice example. I wonder what his cymbal set up sizes/models are, he was using? He seems equipped to play any genre of music and his sound would fit! When I grow up....(I'd love to be that well rounded!)
Ghostnoter

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2010 12:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Reply with quote

Miki C. wrote:
amoergosum wrote:

Great find , that song is called the music of my people, really cool song . Pete killed in that clip

Ugh, i had to miss it, got a last-minute call for a Cinco de Mayo blues/RnB/classic rock/reggae-ska trio gig for some decent bread.

What made the miss all the more disgusting was the fact that PE also had Jeff Berlin & Richard Drexler "accompanying" on bass & piano respectively. Idea Neutral Ugh.
drum6282

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2010 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It was great to meet SBdrumz at the clinic and talk to Peter - his mid tempo swing is to do die for. I have practiced thinking on the upbeat more at a mid tempo and it's actually a little harder than I first imagined. I'm recording myself with the zoom H2 to make sure it's swinging. I'm also working on a lighter, more consistent, "touch" with the brushes. His touch is incredible. I sat across from him with a snare between us. He was showing me his "point" and slide with the brush - he told me to do it - I did it - didn't sound like his - he makes it look so easy and sound so good. The clinic was wonderful - he is truly an inspiration and wonderful player. I wish I lived on the other coast to get private lessons with him. He can explain things so easily - and makes analogies to help you "get it".

His cymbal set up was a 22" K Con Medium - main ride, 20" K Custom Left Side Ride, 22" A Swish Knocker, 16" K Dark Crash Thin (left), 18" K Dark Crash Thin (right), 14" A New Beat Hi Hats and a 9" or 11" K Custom Hybrid Splash. Those DW Jazz Series drums sounded great too. - little DW jab there Wink (yes, he'd sound great on anything and yes, he sounded great on Yamaha).

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2010 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

...and someone bought themselves a 22" Swish Knocker!
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.    Houseofdrumming.com Forum Index -> Drumming Chat All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: