Pirates

DeeP_FRieD

Re: Pirates

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Wed Sep 21, 2011 11:54 pm

Just gonna point out some logic issues I had with you post, not that I don't agree with your overall message.
DSOP wrote:1. Music isn't as important to the current generation as it was to the previous generations.

Such is why Ipods aren't popular.
DSOP wrote:3. There is more music available now than ever before, and as a result, there is more bad music available than ever before. This makes it harder and harder to sift through the chaff to find the gems.

So, 17th century courts is a better option?
DSOP wrote:4. More and more "musicians" (term used loosely to include owners of musical instruments and recording equipment, with or without any talent) have the power to create and distribute their music, with no "gatekeeper" (formerly A&R or publishing companies) preventing them. Many of these "musicians" spend more time on promotion and social media than they do on learning and honing their craft (be it playing or songwriting or producing). This is by necessity, since no one will buy your music or attend your performance unless you SCREAM ABOUT IT.

Or they will find the good stuff. No faith in the average human to have good taste?
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:05 am

Well spoken DSOP!

The world is full of people who in one way or another justify theft....

Downloading music without paying kills music and musicians livehood, to say otherways is just plain stupid!

I´m off to teach, they still can`t download me.. :)
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Sep 22, 2011 12:39 am

DSOP wrote:2. Most people don't listen to music with a concern for high fidelity audio.

...and it's pretty pathetic. Those who listen to music with a concern for high fidelity audio have three choices:

#1 you purchase the cd and pray that it hasn't been brickwalled

#2 you purchase the download first in order to check how the album has been mastered, if it hasn't been brickwalled you can go ahead and purchase the cd

#3 you download the album illegally (because you feel it's a rip-off to pay twice) in order to check how the album has been mastered, if it hasn't been brickwalled you can go ahead and purchase the cd.
moose

Postby moose » Thu Sep 22, 2011 1:04 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:
DSOP wrote:1. Music isn't as important to the current generation as it was to the previous generations.

Such is why Ipods aren't popular.

iPods are popular because convenience is a valuable commodity, not because music is important.
Snowdogyyz

Postby Snowdogyyz » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:13 am

I read this link a few days ago. Who this really hurts (as well as the artists themselves) is the small label who is putting non mainstream music out. Take Abstract Logix for instance. He is putting out all kinds of great jazz/fusion music and has some pretty heavy artists on his label, but it's not a major audience. He puts this stuff out for the love of the music and doesn't make much money doing it. But, he wants to do a little better than breaking even because he wants to fund the next project and so on. When people download his label releases illegally, that is missed revenue for his label AND the artist, neither of which make pop star money. It kills both of them financially to where at some point, they can no longer fund anymore new projects.

So, was comparing it to murder a little overdone? Yes. But, this is a huge deal for musicians and labels, especially in the non mainstream areas of music where there is not much money to be made to start with.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:28 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:Such is why Ipods aren't popular.

I didn't say music wasn't of value to anyone, just that it isn't as important, or crucial, as it used to be. Sure ipods are popular, but video games are WAY more popular. Music and its effect on culture used to be much more obvious (I think).
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:42 am

janne jansson wrote:Well spoken DSOP!

The world is full of people who in one way or another justify theft....

Downloading music without paying kills music and musicians livehood, to say otherways is just plain stupid!

I´m off to teach, they still can`t download me.. :)

Agree 100%.......
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Sep 22, 2011 6:59 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:No faith in the average human to have good taste?

Are you Serious?
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:09 am

DeeP_FRieD wrote:No faith in the average human to have good taste?

Most people will spend neither the time nor the effort to find the truly talented.

How are people supposed to know the good from the bad, when there is so much bad music available? Well, they can't. So they stick with something that is safe, like one of the genre-specific pop radio stations.
moose

Postby moose » Thu Sep 22, 2011 7:21 am

Ardent15 wrote:How are people supposed to know the good from the bad, when there is so much bad music available?

Worse, when so much bad music is celebrated.

Return to “Drumming Chat”