Beck's new drummer????

Phil T.

Re: Beck's new drummer????

Postby Phil T. » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:16 pm

Randy Walker wrote:by email

Yow. Harsh. Particularly for a guy with history like Narada's. At least pick up the phone, Jeff....

[Responding to a separate post now] "For a girl"? Really? Plenty of great female players. We can start with Cindy Blackman. 'Nuff said. New drummer plays well but the recording was not good.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Thu Dec 01, 2011 12:26 pm

Gaddabout wrote: I'm not going to sit her and judge this girl based on the fact she's not Vinnie or Simon or any of other Beck's previous drummers. I have no idea what kind of music he's setting out to do. If it's new and different and challenging to him ... *shrug* what more can you ask from an artist of his caliber?

Not judging her based on anything other then her ability to play drums in the given context. The feel, groove, technical execution, etc

If one were to compare to Beck's previous drummers (and other instrumentalists) that would be just a joke. Beck plays Fusion flat out, on the heavier rock side, maybe you could call it prog rock. But he's improvising the heck outta almost everything. Personally I've only gone to see him because of the other players.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:15 pm

Sounded like she was playing over the existing drum track.. which doesn't allow for much musical exploration..

And that track was Bozzio.... I think what she played was within the style and execution that Bozzio did and would play now..

I don't see what could be done any better..in that situation.

Except buy some real mics.. and learn how to record..
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Thu Dec 01, 2011 1:32 pm

chris perra wrote:Great drumming... Just needs a recording engineer..

She sort of has a Jared Faulk vibe...

+1
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Dec 01, 2011 3:46 pm

Gaddabout wrote:Beck's not a jazz/fusion guy. He's a rock guy who dabbles in other arenas because he can. The way most of us think here is probably counter-intuitive to what he was looking for. I'm not going to sit her and judge this girl based on the fact she's not Vinnie or Simon or any of other Beck's previous drummers. I have no idea what kind of music he's setting out to do. If it's new and different and challenging to him ... *shrug* what more can you ask from an artist of his caliber ?

That he hires some musicians of his own caliber, or kind of...
It's really not the case here, whatever the music he would play.

But true that Jeff is a Rock guy, but not only.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Dec 01, 2011 4:40 pm

She has a nice backbeat. Also, she played some interesting figures with the time without going way out. The unison sections were pretty tight in the end. She rocks, she's got a nice vibe. Much better than Meytal, or Lux. I think she has skills beyond what she showed here. She is still young. She has a primal rock thing going on that Beck may want.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:27 pm

I'm sorry, that's just not professional level time-keeping IMO. That's amateur drumming.

I mean seriously, all the crap that Portnoy has been given here, but this girl is said 'to play.' Gimme a break.
Manu

Postby Manu » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:31 pm

Guys don't be pathetic, let Beck hire whoever he wants, and don't hate on the girl, she's got skills whether you dig or not.
sturla

Postby sturla » Thu Dec 01, 2011 11:04 pm

I was thinking the same thing as you did, Josiah. And I am still surprised that Jeff fired Narada and got this girl instead. All good luck to her though and it must be a great gig and opportunity.
When thinking back that Narada also got a bit of negative comments about "not being Vinnie" (who are?), I was frankly excited and very glad I got to see Narada with Jeff a couple of times and I could feel his infections presence and I felt I was witnessing a bit of "history", if not only for nostalgia´s sake, if you know what I mean?

I will look forward to hearing how it will sound with her in the band though.
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Fri Dec 02, 2011 12:07 am

Andrew<3'sVinnie wrote:That's amateur drumming.

Did you watch the clip I posted in this thread?
>>>
viewtopic.php?p=13868#p13868

That's certainly not 'amateur drumming'.

Return to “Drumming Chat”