A little help fixing a Gretsch snare strainer

samnmax203

A little help fixing a Gretsch snare strainer

Postby samnmax203 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:13 pm

The lightning throw off on my Gretsch Vinnie C. snare took a dump on me at a gig the other night. It looked as if a pin had worked its way loose enabling the strainer to fall. I returned the throw off to the engaged position and reset the pin (thankfully still on the drum), but I noticed that there is still zero tension on the snare wires and I can't move the throw any closer towards the drum. Any ideas on how to fix this? I'm quite frustrated as I've had the drum for a few years now and only recently started logging gig hours with this guy!

I'll post some pictures soon to help with my description.

Also, has anyone tried/heard of these? Are they worth it to change the throw off?
http://www.dwsnare.com/html/DW_Drum_Workshop.html

Thanks!
~ Matt
Josiah

Re: A little help fixing a Gretsch snare strainer

Postby Josiah » Tue Mar 13, 2012 8:17 pm

Not sure about the particular model.

The throw off pictured is a great one though. *shrug*
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:01 pm

Maybe join the Gretsch drum forum; I'm sure there are guys there with work-arounds and fixes, or who can sell you one. But I'd replace (or fix) that throw to maintain the drum's resale value. Or just order a new one at likely $100 easy.

The plates work fine, and the Trick's two hole pattern is the same as the Dunnett, and most any universal mount throw will work with that pattern as well. The Dynamicx RCK is a very good universal throw-off.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:56 pm

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:15 pm

I´m waiting this one to arrive... Seems solid.

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index. ... ts_id=5398
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Mar 13, 2012 10:56 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:I´m waiting this one to arrive... Seems solid.

http://www.drumfactorydirect.com/index. ... ts_id=5398

I put this on a snare, it is great. Actually, it seems better than the Dunnett itself, as it has a screw on the top where you can adjust the tension of the throw. When I had a regular Dunnett for a weekend, it did not have this, and it was a bit floppy.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Tue Mar 13, 2012 11:21 pm

Cool... I was worried that it could be way too bigger and heavy for some snares...
Randy Walker

Postby Randy Walker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:57 am

I have an older Gretsch snare that i replaced the throw off with a Yamaha which is the same hole pattern.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:25 am

I had the same issue with a gretsch lightning throw, but the issue was that I was tightening it too tight. If you can't get the dial to go any tighter, the problem is how you're settting the snare wires in the first place. My lightning throw actually broke (which is the hard way to learn that you're doing it wrong). The threads stripped out inside of the adjuster, so be careful. I got lucky and was able to fix it with a tap/die insert, but it wasn't easy to fix. The lightning throw offs are made of cheap pop-metal and they're really soft on the inside. The quality isn't great for a top of the line snare drum, imo.

loosen up the tensioner and then use the slack to re-tighten at the butt plate. then go back and see if it tightens up at the adjuster. And I'm assuming a lot, so I could be misunderstanding your issue,sorry if I have it wrong....
samnmax203

Postby samnmax203 » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:18 pm

It looks like I fixed it! I somehow missed a linkage hole in the throw off at the gig (damn lighting!). I got it home and in the light to look at, replaced the pin and it's (seemingly) good as new.

Does anyone know if there is a way to tighten or secure the pin in the throw off mechanism?

This is the pin I'm referencing

This is the throw off with the pin removed

...and this is the completed strainer

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!

Return to “Drumming Chat”