Weckl no longer with Yamaha?

DSOP

Weckl no longer with Yamaha?

Postby DSOP » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:55 pm

ImageImage

Let's see, Weckl started off playing Gretsch, then went with Yamaha and Sabian, then switched to Zildjian for a few years, then back to Sabian.
Tony Williams started off with Gretsch and Zildjian, and switched to DW shortly before his premature death.
Phil Collins started off playing Gretsch and Zildjian and Paiste, then switched to Premier and Zildjian, then switched to Pearl for a minute, then back to Gretsch, then to Sabian.
Neil Peart started off playing Rogers, then went with Slingerland, then with Tama, then with Ludwig (all while playing Zildjian). Then he switched to DW and had Sabian make a line for him.
Todd Sucherman was playing Sonor drums and then switched to Pearl.

I could go on. Bottom line is, all of these guys always sounded great, regardless of the equipment. Every manufacturer makes some great stuff, and has some stuff that misses the mark.

If you could build your ideal set of drums, with parts from any manufacturer, what would you do? I have always tended to modify things like tom mounts & snare throw-offs, but what else do you like or dislike from the various makes?

Personally, I really like Yamaha's hardware, and Ludwig's new hardware too. I'm not familiar with Sonor's stuff, as I've only seen it up close a few times. I like some of Pearl's hardware, but have never liked their mounting system or lugs. I like a lot of Tama's hardware and pedals (especially their hi-hat), but I haven't liked the look of their lugs in a long time. Gretsch has nice lugs, and Slingerland's were nice (very Gretsch-like), but Gretsch pretty much gave up on their hardware or pedals (although the DW pedals are direct descendants of the Gretsch pedal from the past). I'm not a fan of DW's lugs, but their jazz line seems nice (with the die cast hoops). Canopus seems like an interesting company, but I've never actually heard them played in person. Not digging their hardware or mounts either really. Yamaha has some great sounding drums, and I've heard that their new mounting system is great - I just wish it looked nicer. Fibes should be on the comeback trail in about a year. Tempus will have new owners soon. Ludwig seems to offer some amazing choices in finishes and sizes, but no die-cast hoops for their toms. Brady drums are incredible, but super pricey. And they don't make any hardware, so you've gotta go a la carte.
Riddim

Re: Weckl no longer with Yamaha?

Postby Riddim » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 pm

Damn. I was expecting a pizza delivery video.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:04 pm

The best for me would be Gretsch drum, Yamaha hardware, maybe DW for the pedals even if Yamaha makes some great pedals too, Zildjian for the cymbals, Vic Firth is perfect, so Remo is.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:27 am

You would really have to get all of the companies together and play them side by side with the same heads and tuning to be absolutely certain. I haven't played everything out there but I would my ideal gear for today would be Yamaha kit/hardware, DW pedals (the DW 9000 high-hat might be my favorite piece of gear ever), Zildjian/Meinl cymbals, Remo heads, VF sticks and a few high end snares.

Todd also used Ayotte drums for a short period of time.
Da Chooch

Postby Da Chooch » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:16 am

this is gettin' ridiculous...
....ALWAYS let the Wookie win....
cristaples

Postby cristaples » Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:39 am

Rodge wrote:The best for me would be Gretsch drum, Yamaha hardware, maybe DW for the pedals even if Yamaha makes some great pedals too, Zildjian for the cymbals, Vic Firth is perfect, so Remo is.

Swap out Gretsch drums with Yamaha ones and that's my ideal. Luckily for me...exactly what I got.
I would like to have Gavin's sound too. But that may be just him not the drums.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Tue Mar 20, 2012 9:44 am

It's him, his touch, tuning and muffling. If he played X drums and cymbals he would sound exactly the same to us. He might hear a 1% difference but that doesn't translate to the listener.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Weck is growing a mullet again.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:51 pm

he's trying to cover the scars from his multiple shoulder surgeries.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Mar 20, 2012 1:53 pm

The best for me would be whomever gave me something for free.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.

Return to “Drumming Chat”