MP's rage outburst on stage.

littlegrooves

Re: MP's rage outburst on stage.

Postby littlegrooves » Wed Nov 28, 2012 11:13 pm

Yeah, sounds like MP kinda steamrolled into the situation guns blazin'.

The video interview in the link above (starting at 9:00 in) is a little different than the transcript. For one, I didn't realize that MP never rehearsed with their band before he played his first gig with them, which I thought was interesting. Good on him for jumping in unprepared in front of 30,000 fans-- I'd probably chicken out.

But back to the point, from the video, the guitarist giving the interview has some uncomfortable body language talking about the subject-- sounds/looks genuine when he discusses the whole situation. I'm not a huge fan of their music (solid technical pop prog metal), but from what I've heard and read about them, they were huge Dream Theater/Mike Portnoy fans, which is telling in terms of how short his stint was.

I can't image how weird it would be to have to fire someone that I looked up to as an up-and-comer-- having to fire someone like Steve Vai or Anthony Jackson from my band...
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Thu Nov 29, 2012 11:27 pm

Rene wrote:The interview with a7x frontment is interested: "well mike, we only hired you to fill a gap for a short period of time. Your not the one to fill in the spot permanantly".
I think it was the moment the other dream theather members were waiting for, just to get rid of him.

In an interview with Nikki Blakk of California radio station 107.7 The Bone, Avenged Sevenfold guitarist Zacky Vengeance talked about unwillingly being caught up in some of the drama between their former touring sticksman Mike Portnoy and his former band Dream Theater.

Zacky commented on Portnoy leaving Dream Theater and Avenged Sevenfold, saying, “It was something that we were not used to at all. We had never, ever experienced any kind of in-the-spotlight drama; we just always stay in the shadows and keep any of our personal business private. And he is a very different character — he always goes straight to fans on Twitter or whatever. That’s how he dealt with his band, and it was new to us. We like to be in touch with our fans, but we’re also very private.”

The guitarist continued, “And he’d been talking about quitting Dream Theater, that he wasn’t necessarily happy, and he was excited to be playing with us; we were playing huge shows and stuff. I think he got caught up in the moment, got excited. We begged him to consider what he did, because we were in no position to find a permanent replacement, because in all honesty, you can’t replace Jimmy, who was our best friend — first and foremost — besides being an amazing drummer.”

Zacky goes on to say “He told us, ‘Hey, I’ve got good news and bad news. I quit Dream Theater.’ We were like, ‘Oh, no. Well, if you’re happy, then that’s good.’ [And he was like], ‘Now I can be with you guys.’ And we were like, ‘That’s not necessarily what we decided upon. And you should take your time and reconsider.’ And he was like, ‘Well, I put out my press release.’ We were like, ‘Dude, that’s not how we do business. You should have talked to us before.’

But the drama didn’t end there. Zacky further commented: “Then it was back and forth [between Mike and his former Dream Theater bandmates]. We were out of it; we had nothing to do with it. We were just trying to get back on our feet. So when all that was going down. t was causing us a lot of heartache, to be honest — to see our name in this drama-filled love triangle.”

Despite undesired and indirect participation in said love triangle, Zacky and A7x have no hard feelings towards the kit minder, who stepped in when they needed him the most. He said, “He helped us out at a really vulnerable time, and for that we will always be extremely appreciative. But for us, we were so unstable at that point that any unneeded attention was just very harmful to us. Obviously, it didn’t work out, but I think it’s for the best — for him and for us.”

http://loudwire.com/zacky-vengeance-avenged-sevenfold-speaks-mike-portnoy-dream-theater-drama/

Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:10 am

Young high school college friends + almost instant success playing indulgent prog rock = arrested development.

I kind of pity the guy.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
sjj123

Postby sjj123 » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:22 am

Funny stuff Gaddabout...funny stuff
When your taking on flack your over the target
NRA Life Member
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:41 am

Yeah Gaddabout that pretty much nails it.
AllenS

Postby AllenS » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:06 pm

So, uh...anyway...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FdJg9AuTvvs

I guess I don't see the big deal about Portnoy in general....Though to be fair, most rock drummers aren't great at soloing.

You know what they say...one MP drumkit can be enough to supply a poor village. :|
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Dec 02, 2012 1:20 pm

Where´s the clip destroying A day in the life? Maybe he took it down?
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:42 pm

AllenS wrote:So, uh...anyway...

I have no words.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Dec 03, 2012 2:11 am

Lucas Ives wrote:
AllenS wrote:So, uh...anyway...

I have no words.

Me neither... :|
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Rene

Postby Rene » Mon Dec 03, 2012 5:09 am

Julián Fernández wrote:Where´s the clip destroying A day in the life? Maybe he took it down?

Still available

Well Nick Mason isn't recognized for his virtuosity, but he plays with great taste and feel. And here's MP brutally raping the intro on Time (DT covering Pink Floyd).

Where is the one Matus posted some time ago, where whitnessed MP having some serious timing issues?

Return to “Drumming Chat”