Eliminating interference

ARZdrummer

Eliminating interference

Postby ARZdrummer » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:22 pm

I've been a heel up player all my life and after years of playing like that I decided to devote a majority of my practice time developing heel down to work different muscle groups. After 6 months of working on it every day I have found improvement, but there are things that don't feel right to me. When playing heel down I feel muscles all along my leg activating to make the stroke that only my ankle should do. Even at slow and moderate tempos I can't make it those muscle in my leg stop from working. In contrast when I compare my left foot playing heel down, it feels very relaxed and comfortable.

I was recently talking to a guitar player friend of mine about my observations and he suggested a couple of things that I wanted to ask you guys about to see if you had any experience with. First was using the Alexander Technique. It was the first time I've heard of the Alexander Technique and I wanted to get a drummers perspective if anyone had used it. Second was finding a physical therapist. What would be a good way to find a physical therapist that works with musician's?

Any other advice or suggestions are welcome. I've been fighting this problem for years. Even playing heel up I feel I'm working way to hard for the results I'm getting.
Jim Richman

Re: Eliminating interference

Postby Jim Richman » Sun Mar 24, 2013 9:30 pm

First off, what improvement did you find? What was improved, your overall drumming or your heel down technique?

Just because you play heel down does not mean you only use your heel. I play heel down, and I use my whole leg and hips. That's like only using your thumb and forefinger, no arms, no wrist.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ARZdrummer

Postby ARZdrummer » Mon Mar 25, 2013 11:49 am

My heel down technique improved. My control is better. But the only way I can get speed and power is with the thigh. My foot creeps up the foot board and I have to counter that movement with my hamstring to bring my foot back into place. It seems counter productive.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:42 pm

I've never been comfortable with heel down playing. Didn't have a drumset teacher (as opposed to snare drum teacher) for about 10 years and gravitated to heel up on my own.

Everything I know about heel down playing I learned sitting about 2 feet to the left of Tony Williams for a set at Yoshi's in the late '80s. He was fast, powerful, and relaxed. I especially remember how easy he made it seem. Have no idea how he did it. My leg muscles tense up when I try playing that way.

That is all.

P.S. The thread title is pretty mysterious. You might get more feedback if you mention heel up / heel down.
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Mon Mar 25, 2013 8:58 pm

ARZdrummer wrote:My heel down technique improved. My control is better. But the only way I can get speed and power is with the thigh. My foot creeps up the foot board and I have to counter that movement with my hamstring to bring my foot back into place. It seems counter productive.
Grip Peddler. Or some skateboard tape shuold help a bit.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:59 am

I thought of the Colin Bailey classic "Bass Drum Control," and happened to read that he's turned it into a DVD. This should help:

http://www.amazon.com/Bass-Drum-Technique-Colin-Bailey/dp/B004HMY6LQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1364478911&sr=8-1&keywords=colin+bailey+bass+drum+technique+dvd
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Fri Mar 29, 2013 1:12 am

I only have an introductory experience with the Alexander technique.

Some years ago I was having back problems, and rented several assorted DVDs regarding solutions.

The one that introduced me to the Alexander technique helped me more with my back than anything else I have tried, because it made me examine and rearrange my everyday movements.

I learned to stop before I would do anything that had to do with bending or twisting my back, think about what I was about to do, and then proceed in a manner that would not injure it.

After a while, I developed correct habits, and didn't have to think about it anymore.

There's a lot more to the Alexander technique, which I didn't delve into.

I think it's worth taking a look at.
ARZdrummer

Postby ARZdrummer » Fri Mar 29, 2013 8:08 am

Thanks for all the helpful info. I actually just took a lesson from a poster on this board by the name of John Lamb that is quite adept at teaching the Alexander Technique. I'm excitedly optimistic about where it might take me.

bclarkio wrote:Some years ago I was having back problems

John and I talked about Phil Collins and how the Alexander Technique could of helped him with playing his kit that wraps half way around him.

Phil T. wrote:I thought of the Colin Bailey classic "Bass Drum Control," and happened to read that he's turned it into a DVD. This should help:

I saw Colin Bailey give a drum clinic here in Portland way back the Don Worth drum shop was still in operation. I own his book and saw his recent DVD on the Drum Channel. I'll have to re-examine all of his info.

Return to “Drumming Chat”