LA Guys

LADanny

Re: LA Guys

Postby LADanny » Sat Jan 08, 2011 11:28 am

I will do my best to attend for sure!!
Joesmechanic

Postby Joesmechanic » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:09 am

Thanks Gavin for the heads up. Will be there for sure. Nice meeting you last night at Cafe Cordial =))
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Wed Jan 12, 2011 3:20 pm

Reports and reviews?
Wish I coulda been there for this one.
Andy Vermiglio

Postby Andy Vermiglio » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:41 pm

Gavin’s clinic was amazing! He was able to enlist the services of the audio engineer for Porcupine Tree. The guy definitely knew how to dial in Gavin’s sound. Gavin’s approach to drums and music is exquisitely thoughtful and thought provoking. What knocked me out more than his very clean and impressive execution was his musical sensibilities and his jazz phrasing. You can hear how years of analyzing the jazz greats comes through in his performance. This may sound odd but after hearing prog rock great Gavin Harrison doing a drum clinic, I'm inspired to study Coltrane.
Joesmechanic

Postby Joesmechanic » Sat Jan 15, 2011 4:43 am

I gotta say that this was one of the best clinics I've been to in a long time. Gavin did an excellent job of being really concise in his explanations of what he was doing, how he goes about dissecting his playing, and where he pulls his inspirations for phrasing. I liked the part where he explained how him and PT go about writing their parts out. VERY methodological. I like his less is more approach.

After the show, me and Andy went upstairs to talk with him for a bit. Very cool and down to earth fellow as well.

I didn't know that he was voted best prog rock drummer for 4 years running, but I can see why now. He's a class act.
Manu

Postby Manu » Sat Jan 15, 2011 10:21 am

hope you come to Barcelona sometime Gav!
Gavin Harrison

Postby Gavin Harrison » Sat Jan 15, 2011 12:30 pm

Thanks guys - it was really nice to hang with some fellow HOD'ers. I had a wild week in LA - and a lot the performances were filmed so I'm guessing they will show up on video soon.

had a nice hang with Steve too. Just got home...need to sleep for a week.

cheers
Gavin
Jeremy Smirnoff

Postby Jeremy Smirnoff » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:23 pm

Shame I couldn't be in LA due to my heart issue that came up a week ago etc.... I hope you all had a nice time. Still hoping to catch up with Steve, Gavin, and the rest of you crazy folks sometime soon.
Jeremy Smirnoff
drums, percussion
http://www.facebook.com/jeremy.smirnoff

Return to “Drumming Chat”