Dave Weckl Touring Schedule !?

Mark Petersson

Dave Weckl Touring Schedule !?

Postby Mark Petersson » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:28 am

Hey everybody,

I have to apply my leave for the next few month now which (of course) will be co-depending on who's when and where on tour...

so I had (among others) a look at Dave Weckls Web-Site and - no update since last year - have seen him many times with Mike Stern now and really would like to see him play with Oz Noy or Chris Minh Doky this time - has anyone news about that?

What's with him anyway? Is he ok? His Web-Site is usually updatet more regular - or am I wrong? edit: oh, my bad, we write the date the other way around, so the last update was in december not in september as I thought

(Any other gig-suggestions for nothern Europe this spring?)

Thanks folks!
Last edited by Mark Petersson on Mon Jan 24, 2011 12:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lucas Ives

Re: Dave Weckl Touring Schedule !?

Postby Lucas Ives » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:00 pm

Hey Mark,

Check your PMs when you get a chance.

Best,
Joesmechanic

Postby Joesmechanic » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:54 am

Daves website was just updated. He's doing Oz Noy here in L.A. at Catalinas soon. Sometime in Feb I think. He's been spending a lot of time in Europe. Thats where the work seems to be nowadays since things have dried up here in the U.S. I've heard from some other jazz recording artists that things are pretty tough these days.
Mark Petersson

Postby Mark Petersson » Tue Jan 25, 2011 4:54 am

Joesmechanic wrote:He's been spending a lot of time in Europe. Thats where the work seems to be nowadays since things have dried up here in the U.S.

That's bad... it seems as if family and a professional music career doesn't fit... (apart from the financial difficulties)...

But it explains why he has an italian girlfriend (according to this interview: http://www.drumdepartment.de/content/pu ... o.php?id=5)

So, there was a time when things were better? The "good old times"?
Steven Orkin

Postby Steven Orkin » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:22 pm

As the Dave Weckl site "updater," I just wanted to let you know that the site was updated yesterday! Plenty of new tour dates in there!

Please keep in mind that Dave really works exclusively as a sideman now. So, all dates come from the various bandleaders such as Oz, Mike Stern, and so on. We post them as soon as they are finalized by the leader and the promoter(s), and as soon as they forward them to us!

Dave will be as busy as ever this year. In addition to the Spring Stern dates, we'll be adding Summer dates, too. Don't forget: Dave stays VERY busy mixing in his studio. So, when you don't see dates, chances are he's in the studio cranking out work.

And...yes...he's a proud dad! That's always a priority, and he makes as much time as possible for that.

Hope that helps explain it!
Joesmechanic

Postby Joesmechanic » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:32 am

Very true. Dave always keeps himself busy. For the 18 years now that I've known him, I've never seen him slow down. He's always got about 10 things in the fire. Which is why I guess he's managed to make a pretty decent living at playing (and marketing) the drums. (so I don't think he's really experiencing any "financial difficulties" per se).

I'm just echoing what I've heard from Dave and others I know & have talked to personally. Things (gigs/music) has slowed down in general since the economic downturn in the U.S., but people like Dave always seem to be busy. I guess that goes right back to what I said about his self enterprising nature. He's a smart cookie. Most people I know that are go-getters are usually pretty busy.

As far as Claire is concerned, he's always made her a priority. He's a good dad. I can't believe how big she's gotten. Blows me away. I can remember when she was just a baby. Check out this clip he put on his Facebook page of him & her doing a cute little diddy. How would you like to have the great Dave Weckl backing you for a simple talent show contest? Haha!
www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=106369051902
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:41 pm

The truth is that American jazz and fusion will always be more popular in countries that have a collective higher IQ. We're all into good music here so I hope I dont offend anyone, but the USA is a large country and most of it doesn't have a clue what creativity or art is. However, in Europe and Asia, they eat it up. Dave is not a session drummer like Vinnie Colaiuta or some others. He is capable musically in my opinion, but it's obvious from his road schedule that he just can't bring home the $$ the same way by staying home like some other players can. I'm coming to this conclusion by simple observation. Many drummers in L.A, N.Y and Nashville still make a large chunk of change staying home most of the year and touring occasionally. I've seen the studio video, but if that studio was indeed busy, he wouldn't be touring like that. No dad wants to be away from the kids if they can help it. I love that talent show video. Dave has always struck me as a good guy, and a very serious guy. Can't say I know him like Joesmechanic does.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:55 am

Robert Bluman wrote:The truth is that American jazz and fusion will always be more popular in countries that have a collective higher IQ. We're all into good music here so I hope I dont offend anyone, but the USA is a large country and most of it doesn't have a clue what creativity or art is. However, in Europe and Asia, they eat it up. Dave is not a session drummer like Vinnie Colaiuta or some others. He is capable musically in my opinion, but it's obvious from his road schedule that he just can't bring home the $$ the same way by staying home like some other players can. I'm coming to this conclusion by simple observation. Many drummers in L.A, N.Y and Nashville still make a large chunk of change staying home most of the year and touring occasionally. I've seen the studio video, but if that studio was indeed busy, he wouldn't be touring like that. No dad wants to be away from the kids if they can help it. I love that talent show video. Dave has always struck me as a good guy, and a very serious guy. Can't say I know him like Joesmechanic does.

<s> Right- Vinnie is not capably musically. </s>

EDIT: sorry- misunderstood
Last edited by Andrew<3'sVinnie on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:48 am, edited 2 times in total.
moose

Postby moose » Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:58 am

Andrew<3'sVinnie wrote:Right- Vinnie is not capably musically. :|

You'll need to help me out here, because I can't see the where that was said in the message you quoted.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:54 am

:D
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”