Drummers over 6 feet

DSOP

Re: Drummers over 6 feet

Postby DSOP » Fri Mar 25, 2011 9:45 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:Having larger hands though is probably a major factor in things...

My hands are kind of small, and I play with 2Bs. I find my hands tire with smaller sticks because I tend to squeeze them harder.
cristaples

Postby cristaples » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:10 am

Looking at Bozzio's kit I think he may have over 6 feet! :)
Chuck Lacy

Postby Chuck Lacy » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:10 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote
I play with 2B's, Tony used huge sticks, quite a few guys play with beefier sticks. Personally I've grown to really love the tone from the bigger stick, when ever I use something smaller it just sounds so thin to me.

Having larger hands though is probably a major factor in things...

Funny you mention that, I just bought a couple pair of 2b's. Been searching for a stick for the longest.

Let me clarify my height, I'm 6' 2" but and ex college basketball player with about a 6' 5" wingspan and long legs. I use to use a roc-n-soc nitro thrown as my main gigging seat but it never went high enough. And the extended version is more like a stool. Now I just use the regular spindle kind.

And I hear you about the 1/3 down from the foot pedal. I usually play further back like around 1/2 way. Depending on the pedal, typically on the last 1/3 of the pedal by the heel in order to get good rebound for doubles and fast singles. That's why I think normal boards should be a little longer. But friend of mine who works at GC is really trying to sell me on the speed cobras..... Thinking bout splurging. :D
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Sun Mar 27, 2011 5:29 pm

Even at 6'2" a throne should fully be able to accompany you. Take a picture or have someone take one from the side.... there's plenty of drummers MUCH bigger then you that don't have a problem. Danny Carey for instance is 6'6"+
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:04 am

I'm around 6' (I think) and my throne isn't even halfway up, so you really shouldn't have problems with seat height with most major brands. That is, if you don't plan on sitting unreasonably high.
As for pedals, Axis Longboards might be your thing. I hear the new Demon Drive pedals also have fairly long footboards.

Always have in mind that some guys are bigger or smaller than one might think. Terry Bozzio looks fairly big because his kit sizes are odd. His snare drum is 10" and all his small toms are 8". Danny Carey, on the other end of the spectrum, has very big cymbals and a massively arranged kit as far as distances go.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:13 am

I'm 6'4", thrones have never been the issue -- snare stands and floor tom legs, however, frequently won't extend high enough and need to be appleboxed for me.

Return to “Drumming Chat”