Gregg Bissonette debuting Mapex Velvetone Black Panthers

Rodge

Re: Gregg Bissonette debuting Mapex Velvetone Black Panthers

Postby Rodge » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:08 am

Maybe that even with very bad quality, Vinnie still has a lot to offer.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
cristaples

Postby cristaples » Sat Mar 26, 2011 10:26 am

I saw Steve White in clinic a couple of months back and his velvetone or similar was tuned so badly, like he didn't care, his whole kit was a bit crap, but the guy in support who did the first half hour (his first clinic too!) had a great sound using Mapex, just goes to show that we all have different tastes, and probably a commitment to our sound (Weckl)I would be embarrased if my snare was so badly tuned, but then I'm a drum geek....
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Sat Mar 26, 2011 11:27 am

Rodge wrote:Maybe that even with very bad quality, Vinnie still has a lot to offer.

He's a bottomless well !

Some of those 45 minute sets, if you've the patience, are drifting drum set symphonies of awe and inspiration. I always notice how the crowds respond when he lets off the throttle and settles briefly into a groove-oriented section. I don't know if they're applauding the groove or signaling their appreciation of mercy from the onslaught before the groove section.

There was this young player, can't remember his name, who was another guy immersed in Vinnie at school, and another guy who never went to class. He didn't have the chops but he had this astounding turn of phrase for a young guy. He tells me he can't read, transcribe - nothing - but that half the time he's blowing these off the wall phrases he's playing to nursery rhymes in his head - blowing over top - but knows where the quarter is instinctively. I never knew whether he was bullshitting me or not, but he was better than halfway there in his own way. Wish I could remember his name ... Cory something? Swarthy young man with jet black hair back then.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:14 pm

I know a Cory that went to PIT. What year would it have been? I want to say that the guy I know when about 10 yrs ago?
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:29 am

deseipel wrote:I know a Cory that went to PIT. What year would it have been? I want to say that the guy I know when about 10 yrs ago?

This would have been in the '85-'88 range. Small guy in stature and very soft-spoken. Mixed Caucasian. Very nice guy, and everyone dug his playing, but he wasn't in school much - playing out a lot or hanging somewhere else. I think I did hear he got a gig with someone, but can't remember. See the first word in my screen name :(

Return to “Drumming Chat”