A Vinnie solo I hadn't heard before

Henrik

A Vinnie solo I hadn't heard before

Postby Henrik » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:28 pm

There's a cool Facebook page called The Amazing Era Of The L.A. Session Men (http://www.facebook.com/pages/The-Amazing-Era-Of-The-LA-Session-Men/235161687383). I found a clip with Vinnie trading solos there today, taken from a Los Lobotomys concert. It might be old news to some of you guys, but it's great so I thought I'd post it. Some nice Gadd-tributes in there:

Enjoy!
Rodge

Re: A Vinnie solo I hadn't heard before

Postby Rodge » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:18 pm

It's before 1992 man...
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:01 pm

might be old news but this stuff is some amazing playing. i have listen to these breaks a few million times and go to bed thinking about the phrasings. night after night. how did he get there. all the shit you have to learn through the years to come up with some something like he did. i mean what the fuck! he's the greatest. it's all there is to it. vinnie is the most entertaining drummer to ever walk on this planet. everyone wants his shit but no matter how many people clone him no one will ever come out like him. ( charlie sheen duh). so glad hes still able to play the way he does. he's 55 years old and kicking everyones ass.... still
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:02 pm

MD did a transcription of this a while back. The last Vinnie one always slays me. Pretty ridiculous phrasing.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:13 pm

Ahhh, that is absurd stuff.

That's my favorite "vinnie era" for sure. The off the wall phrasing just slays me every time.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Apr 01, 2011 7:30 pm

Who thinks like that? Who thinks, "I'm trading 8s in a half-time reggae-style groove, so I'm going to double the feel of my solo sections and play a lot of broken, unswung figures -- it's going to kill!"

I mean, who thinks like that but actually makes it make sense? And then he's right back in the groove like he never left, same tempo, same great feel. That's FREAKISH ability. People who think my Vinnie love is all about chops doesn't really get the real appeal of Vinnie.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:33 pm

Gaddabout wrote:People who think my Vinnie love is all about chops doesn't really get the real appeal of Vinnie.

That's exactly the rub. I used to go back and forth with guys - some who'd attended top schools - while they'd slag on him ad nauseam. I've never understood it. Most are traditionalists or bee-boppers. You don't have to wank raw to it, but you have to cop to it.
beat hit

Postby beat hit » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:35 pm

Phenomenal... So smooth transitions... elastic-like sense of time... If I may say-so myself...
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Fri Apr 01, 2011 11:45 pm

Kurtis wrote:might be old news but this stuff is some amazing playing. i have listen to these breaks a few million times and go to bed thinking about the phrasings. night after night. how did he get there. all the shit you have to learn through the years to come up with some something like he did. i mean what the fuck! he's the greatest. it's all there is to it. vinnie is the most entertaining drummer to ever walk on this planet. everyone wants his shit but no matter how many people clone him no one will ever come out like him. ( charlie sheen duh). so glad hes still able to play the way he does. he's 55 years old and kicking everyones ass.... still

Agreed!!
There is nothing left to say.
cristaples

Postby cristaples » Sun Apr 03, 2011 8:52 am

This clip is from the last track of the Los Lobotomys CD "Live at the complex" recorded in 89, I've had this since it was released and it is the bollocks!

Jeff, Vinnie, Carlos, Lenny Castro, Lukather and Garfield, big grooves from Jeff and Vinnie melts your face off on 2 tracks.... a must own CD for HODders!

Return to “Drumming Chat”