Quick torque Cam

Joesmechanic

Re: Quick torque Cam

Postby Joesmechanic » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:37 pm

Josiah.....If you go back and read what I posted slowly and carefully, you'll notice I agreed with you on some things.

Just for your information....I've been a professional mechanic for the past 35 years. Its what I do. From building racing motors, to fabrication, to research and development, to teaching (taught for Snap-on technical training for 10 years), etc. What I'm telling you about bearings is from over 3 decades of personal experience in the field. Not just from my good ol' skateboarding days =)). Plus, Dad was an Aerospace machinist. I grew up around the machine shop & in an auto shop. I've got a pretty well rounded background in materials and machining as well.

I completely forgot about ceramic bearings!! Didn't even think about it. Probably because I highly doubt most of the drum pedals out there come with them stock. But I'd be more than happy to retract that statement if you find a company that uses them =)). Usually too expensive for production, but true....they are the opitomy in low friction.

But...with that said. Most of the drum companies use really cheap and crappy bearings. I've heard the brand "Ninja" thrown around. Ouuuuu!! haha! I've got NINJA BEARINGS!!!! =D

But I'm serious when I say that I've compared the cheaper chinese sealed bearings to that of a high quality SEALED bearing (take your pic of manufacturers...there's a ton) when new. (Note....the word "new") One of the things a high quality sealed bearing will give you is a good seal (along w/long wear and tighter tolerances). The seal itself is BIG drag on a NEW bearing. When we pre-load bearings on equipment, the seal can account for anywhere from 1.5in lbs of torque all the way up to 8-10 in. lbs of torque. And then, like I said, most of the SEALED bearings (generic ones) are usually grease filled. Dry lubricants aren't really necessary on a sealed bearing as they would be on a chain, because the chain is exposed to the dirt. But then again, if you've ever worked on any kind of processing equipment like I do, the industry standard is wet lubricants (Synthetics and molys) because of the amount of abuse & use that kind of equipment takes.

Have you ever watched todays skateboarders? You don't think there are high impacts riding a skateboard? A 100-200 lbs person slamming the ground from ramps, jumps, pools, curbs, etc isn't a high impact being transferred to the bearings?

I agree with you changing out the factory caa caa bearings in a factory pedal with some semi-ceramic or full ceramics would be a nice upgrade, but I don't know how much that's really going to help your playing.
Don Worth

Re: Quick torque Cam

Postby Don Worth » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:45 pm

Some people just need to practice more and not expect some new gadget will let you off the hook of actually learing to use your pedal. I have students that think changing the connecting rod between there double pedal will help. In fact, they need to practise more and not think changing something out will make every problem go away and make then the next Virgil without practice.

Return to “Drumming Chat”