Standard or "Power" sizes?

Paul Marangoni

Re: Standard or "Power" sizes?

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Mar 28, 2013 12:53 pm

Matthijs Ament wrote:Thanks Paul. Thats why I used ' ' on 'trad'. I meant the shallow racktoms combined with the square floors like Buddy did. I think Buddy had a 12" rack tom [9" deep] and 14x14 + 16x16 floors. Did they use 10" toms before the 60's? I always thought 12'' was the smallest tom.

I'm pretty sure that Buddy (and most drummers from that era) used a 13" x 9" mounted tom. He used two 16" x 16" floor toms and a 24" bass drum. I think 10" toms first came into being in the 70s or very late 60s.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Thu Mar 28, 2013 4:09 pm

If you want power don't go with so called power toms.
Just by the physics of sound waves and the modes that can resonate inside a cavity like a drum, power toms have the opposite effect if you consider pure dB/stroke.

There's a sweet spot ratio closer to standard sizes which, combined with proper tuning, will produce max volume.

Power toms were a look thing for 80s hair bands.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Mar 28, 2013 6:29 pm

Don't like power toms. Drum companies can just phase them out. Good luck playing 32nd notes on them. To much feed back on the head coming back to the stick. Sucks! Standard sizes way to go. I have a kit with power toms and can't get the fucking tom toms low enought cause of the bass drum hitting the bottom of the power tom.

Power tom Sound? It's a big sound. Really big. Love the sound! But I do like standard size tone better. Smaller sound wave to deal with. You can play fast notes on them. If your looking for really deep tone with huge sound that can travel across the universe, power toms are the way to go. I have a love hate relationship with power toms. Great sound with suck ass feel. Playing doubles on power toms sucks. No matter how clean and strong your doubles are they just don't sound/feel right. Cause the fucking shell is way to deep.

I'm gonna get off this bus. Why? Cause power toms SUCK.

Return to “Drumming Chat”