Anyone have one of these thrones?

langmick

Re: Anyone have one of these thrones?

Postby langmick » Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:07 am

If you're having back problems you need to get one of these. Trust me.

chris perra

Postby chris perra » Thu Feb 18, 2016 7:32 pm

I have one of those as well haha..

and a massage chair,..and one of these ...

http://www.amazon.ca/Black-Corbusier-Ch ... B001G3Y92A

I'm hoping that this Ahead throne will help at the source of my back issues..
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sat Feb 20, 2016 6:55 pm

After a long gig.. Thumbs up on the Ahead spinal glide throne.. There is definitely something to the voodoo that this chair claims.. For me anyway.

Lowe Back and Hamstring stress was non existent at the end of the night..
Mike Meyers

Postby Mike Meyers » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:19 am

I've had both sizes of the Carmichaels and love the smaller one. You do have to make sure you are sitting on it just right and have your leg angle at just above 90 degrees to get it feeling right. The owner is really good about helping you get it adjusted correctly. The Ahead one just seemed like the channel was too narrow. This throne has helped me quite a bit over the last couple of years, especially when playing 4 hour gigs!

Mike
Guess what...I got a fever and the only prescription...is more cowbell!
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Mar 01, 2016 3:00 am

I'd like to try the Carmichael.. Sadly no one sells them locally.

When you sit.. what's the difference in feel?.. When i made one out of my Sonor seat I felt that the weight was on my hamstrings and pelvic bone rather than the butt. More forward than on a normal chair. Is that the same feeling?

On the Ahead,. It just feels solid and relaxed.. I don;t feel the weight shift to the front like the Sonor test.

I do find that for me to play I have to have the Ahead at an exact seat height as it has a lift on the front where you legs go.. Sit too high and it's not comfortable..

Although I'm coming from Ford Smart Ass memory foam seat so the seat would be set higher as it compresses
thewikiman

Postby thewikiman » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:24 am

chris perra wrote:I remember trying the Ergo Rider when I bought my Ford... It was a good feeling seat..

I wound up getting the Ahead Spinal G throne as that's the only thing I could get locally..
http://aheaddrumsticks.com/drum-thrones ... sVGs9C2V8E

I tried it at the store for a half hour or so and did a session for a few hours with it..
It's odd... while playing I didn't really notice a difference,. A throne is a throne.. but after is when I feet it's a better throne for me..

It's a solid throne.. feels comfortable,, a little softer than a Roc N Soc.. but not as much as my Ford..

Friday I do a gig that is typically 2 hour and a half sets.. so that will be the test..

Just wanted to say thanks for the reccomendation here, Chris. I just bought a Spinal G and last night was the first rehearsal with it. 5 hours long so a good test. And it was genuinely very different from sitting on any other throne I've used or tried. It feels better at the time, and afterwards, for me. The whole not compressing your coccyx thing, maybe it's psychosomatic but I could FEEL that. I felt supported and I felt more relaxed.

By the way, also tried out a new snare in the same practice, a Van Kleef custom drum, 13 x 4.5, made of titanium. I'm in love, it was beautiful. Always wanted a drum in that size, never found one. Having one made has been years in the planning. It's ace.
____
Ned
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Mon Jun 13, 2016 11:58 am

Yup,.. It really helps..

For me it feels like the weight is supported in the pelvic bone closer to your legs rather than further back on your spine.

After a gig It doesn't help cure back problems but it doesn't add to them.. My legs and hamstrings feel relaxed and my lower back isn't messed up like can be with other stools..
john lamb

Postby john lamb » Mon Jun 13, 2016 1:50 pm

You actually want a narrower channel. The extra wide channel of the Carmichael is not great fr the connective tissue capsule around the hips. I have a Motion Pro Spinal Glide (upon which the Carmichael was based). I do not like the ad copy that all these thrones with the split middle employ: that they take pressure off the tailbone. Proper posture shouldn't have

I do NOT like the Tama. It is slanted forward, making it very difficult to sit well. Like the "taking pressure off the tailbone" thing, it is a temporary "band-aid" solution that does more harm than good in the long run. Better to just sit well in the first place.

The seats with the split middle do something really great, though. The weight of the body is delivered into the throne through the "ischial tuberosities". The split cushion gives the seat independent suspension - allowing for more natural movement that a traditional seat affords. Additionally, the springs give a little bit of shock absorption to the lower back - something present in walking and standing, but not when sitting on something hard. Since getting used to the Motion Pro, I've noticed every single jolt when using other thrones.

Fun fact: About 1 out of 10 people have pointy ischial tuberositises - making is painful to sit on seats without lots of padding for more than a few minutes. For these people, I'd recommend a Pork Pie throne or similar that has lots mega padding. The other 9 out of 10 don't have this issue.
Check out my books:
Anatomy of Drumming
A Matter Of Time
Strt Playng Drums
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:17 am

Perhaps the Ischial tuberosity causes the brain to insert the 'idea' of being pointy when a player sits on less expensive thrones because most guys spend a lot of money on thrones that have not a scintilla of medical endorsement and the brain is conditioned to think that throwing money at $hit solves everything?
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Tue Jun 14, 2016 11:57 am

Perhaps... But I can't think my way out of needing muscle relaxants and inversion table after a long gig with a normal stool..

With this one I feel much better.. I still have back issues, it will take along time to get over them but this for me has helped tremendously.

To me, unless you need physical repair or surgery on your spine, typical medicine does nothing for you. They prescribe anti inflammatory and say wait..

When I herniated a disk the doctor gave me pain meds and a higher does of Naproxen.. I left still not being able to move and having shock out muscle spasms..
I wen to a chiro, he cracked my back and my back was 30% better on the spot. It still took months to recover to a point where I could function somewhat normal. I suspect way longer if I hadn't gone to a chiro. I'm still not 100%. I haven't been since I was in my 20's. In my experience the only people that really know anything about backs are Chiros.

Unless you want surgery done.. Then doctors are great.

Return to “Drumming Chat”