Simple jazz recordings for beginner playalong

cjbdrm

Re: Simple jazz recordings for beginner playalong

Postby cjbdrm » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:51 pm

x3 Kind of Blue ;)

Should be a requirement for every aspiring jazz drummer...

...and talk about emotional content...Miles solos are soooooo deep....this is one of those records that you will always remember the first time you heard it, much like a major historic event or something...
Last edited by cjbdrm on Thu Apr 14, 2011 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 3:55 pm

Definitely Kind of Blue.
I start my students on jazz with it.
percusski

Postby percusski » Fri Apr 15, 2011 1:08 am

:D yes have already started them on Kind Of Blue...Blakey, yes very good, any more?
Rene

Postby Rene » Fri Apr 15, 2011 3:10 am

Start with the standards. Take a look at this website. http://www.jazzstandards.com/compositions/index.htm
Already at the first page you'll find " easy" tunes to playalong; the top 50 standards according to the website

And Youtube supplies you with the music:

stompin at the savoy with Max:

Bag's groove is a nice standard.

Rene
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 5:30 am

That guitar sound on the C Cameron without drums is supreme for me.

That was sweet music!

Reminds me of the guitar work on the TV show Beverly Hillbillies...if you've ever
seen the show, there is some sweet playing contained in some of the episodes.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 6:53 am

littlegrooves wrote:Tony Williams for a beginner? I'll have to rebuke that in the name of Moses :o

That's like learning to ride a pony by jumping on a bull.

....?

Even if someone can't play along, they can still LISTEN. An equally valuable learning tool.
whitehousec

Postby whitehousec » Fri Apr 15, 2011 8:56 am

Re: Tony for a beginner...just be careful which Tony. The first time I heard him was on Nefertiti and I couldn't take it - I put it away for years. Even Vinnie apparently put him away after the first time too. Sam Rivers with Tony is great on Fuschia Swing Song. Early Miles and Tony is great too.

A crackin album for Standards and the hear someone swing their ass off is in fact 'Standards' with Peter Erskine, Alan Pasqua and Dave Carpenter...has been one of my favs since it came out.

Kind Of Blue
Mel Lewis is defo worth a listen.
Milestones and anything with Philly Joe Jones tbh.

If you have, or have seen the Art Of Bop Drumming book, it has a magic recommended listen section in the back of it, with what albums to get.
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Fri Apr 15, 2011 11:24 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:
littlegrooves wrote:Tony Williams for a beginner? I'll have to rebuke that in the name of Moses :o

That's like learning to ride a pony by jumping on a bull.

....?

Even if someone can't play along, they can still LISTEN. An equally valuable learning tool.

Very true; however, the title of the thread is: "Simple jazz recordings for beginner playalong", and hence my reaction.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Apr 15, 2011 7:00 pm

Well, true, but I don't think any jazz is easy or beginner for that matter. That is recordings from the era, not purposefully played play along's. Unless you're equating tempo to "easiness", which I personally think is a mistake (within reason).

whitehousec wrote:Re: Tony for a beginner...just be careful which Tony. The first time I heard him was on Nefertiti and I couldn't take it - I put it away for years. Even Vinnie apparently put him away after the first time too. Sam Rivers with Tony is great on Fuschia Swing Song. Early Miles and Tony is great too.

You sure? I distinctly remember Vinnie talking about being floored when he heard Miles, and just dove into studying his playing. He's repeatedly called him his "drum hero". He (Vince) was only a teenager when he went to Berklee...
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Sat Apr 16, 2011 10:05 am

percusski wrote:This is great stuff, thanks. I was thinking more about album recommendations, for students to play along to and start to understand the feel of different player's interpretations of the ride cymbal beat.

Anything with Frank Sinatra and the Count Basie Orchestra is a good place for a beginner to learn about song form, set ups and kicks, as well as the cymbal beat. To me, this is more fundimental and rudimentary than bebop/small combo drumming. A beginner should start at the beginning, not with Miles. JMHO. Check out Frank Sinatra "Live at the Sands," or a best of called "Frank Sinatra The Reprise Years." The Basie band kicks ass in all of those classic recordings.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III

Return to “Drumming Chat”