New Tony Williams Lifetime 1979 w/ B. Brunel video

Frank Sanchez

Re: New Tony Williams Lifetime 1979 w/ B. Brunel video

Postby Frank Sanchez » Mon Aug 01, 2011 8:40 am

sjj,

I hear you. Listening to these guys through the terrible sound of the era is difficult. The sounds of the drums and the styles (I've always hated the yellow kit with the black dot heads all around) are the infancy of fusion music today. However, for me, when I listen to Tony, I see an icon that Vinnie imitates frequently in the same way that many of us imitate Vinnie today! Watch the Zildjian day video and you will see a moment with Vinnie looking on at Tony with the same awe that we look at our heroes with. When I listen to Tony through that lens, I appreciate things much more.
Manu

Postby Manu » Mon Aug 01, 2011 3:04 pm

Frank Sanchez wrote:sjj,

I hear you. Listening to these guys through the terrible sound of the era is difficult. The sounds of the drums and the styles (I've always hated the yellow kit with the black dot heads all around) are the infancy of fusion music today. However, for me, when I listen to Tony, I see an icon that Vinnie imitates frequently in the same way that many of us imitate Vinnie today! Watch the Zildjian day video and you will see a moment with Vinnie looking on at Tony with the same awe that we look at our heroes with. When I listen to Tony through that lens, I appreciate things much more.

That's an interesting take at things, I guess I enjoy certain drummers that way too, maybe they are not fully my cup of tea but when I listen to them having in mind the historic impact they had and how influential they were I look/listen at them through another lens and enjoy it in a different way.
langmick

Postby langmick » Tue Aug 02, 2011 5:17 am

Where is Peter C when you need him to lay a good Tony story on us?
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:42 pm

Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:52 pm

langmick wrote:Where is Peter C when you need him to lay a good Tony story on us?

That's funny! I can't watch a mid to late 70s clip without thinking about Peter C's stories.

Return to “Drumming Chat”