Looking For a Mentor

DSOP

Re: Looking For a Mentor

Postby DSOP » Sun Apr 10, 2011 5:05 pm

Plenty of rehearsal studios that will provide drums (that sound like crap) and rent by the hour. Just bring your own pedals, cymbals and snare. Should be good enough to practice, and it will only cost you $20 or so for a couple of hours.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:02 pm

I think "mentor" is a big word, somewhat rare, and almost unheard of in the music world. If you're 12 years old and you show a rare talent and live in Alan Dawson's neighborhood, maybe he takes you under his wing and shows you the ropes, introduces you to the big shots of the world while devoting a lot of time with you in the shed. But that's just now how it works for 99.99999999999 percent of the rest of the people who make it in this biz.

I'll give you this: I've read almost all of your posts here and I sense the hunger and dissatisfaction with your own playing. I can even sense the deep regret and relate to it. I took a whole decade off from serious drumming to care for my wife at a time right when I thought I was getting somewhere, and when I came back I felt like a newborn in traffic on the freeway. Two years deep into it, I still sort of feel that way. You're looking for someone to personally inspire you, and man do I get the appeal of that, because that clock is ticking.

There's no shortage of instructors in LA (o anywhere) -- even great instructors -- who will take your money and watch you squander your time. They're getting paid by the clock whether you improve or not, and I assure you if you're not going to put in the time, they're not going to give you anything extra.

But here's a bit of reality for you: At this stage in the game, there's no Mr. Myagi, janitor-drum instructor, who's going to step in and change the story arc in your life. No one else is going to get you where you want to be. Maybe things are dark right now, you can't see how to get from where you're at to where you want to be, but the only place that light is going to turn on is in the shed, behind the kit, sweating your ass off working on the things you already know you need to learn. Once you've cleared a path there, THEN you might find an instructor who sees your passion and pours some extra energy into you.

Gavin told his story awhile back. Search for that thread. It was so simple an educational. To sum: He accepted the reality of what I wrote above and he went locked himself out from the world for a long spell and gave himself over to the drums. It was a conscience decision, but one that came with major dividends. I have no idea what he worked on during that time, but I think he already knew what he both wanted and needed to work on and I'm betting you do, too.

I implore you to rent yourself a tiny apartment, live on rice and beans, live way below your means, buy a cheap used kit, rent a lockout, and go pursue your passion. Forget the instructor for now. Go get in the habit of selling out to the drums. Get in the habit of driving from work to the shed and getting lost in your practice. Do that for three months and come back and THEN tell us what you think. I guarantee your posts will be full of optimism and excitement and you will have fewer questions about which direction to take here or there. In fact I think you will answer most of your questions.
Last edited by Gaddabout on Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:03 pm

do you want to specifically work on something or are you looking for someone to break you down and build you back up?

On a serious note, I wouldn't get all worked up to go study when you have months of rehab on your finger ahead of you. just sayin'.

Focus on your health first.

actually, I just read Matt's post above. He's exactly right. AFter your finger heals, go get it. Go practice because you want it and you hunger for it. 'Getting lost in your practice' is such a romantic way of putting it, but it's so, so right.
willyz

Postby willyz » Sun Apr 10, 2011 6:37 pm

Jim Richman wrote:Drum books will only keep you playing in circles.

I really hope this statement and the rest of your post was tongue and cheek.

If you were a priest would you ditch the bible? If you were in med school would you just ditch your school and the curriculum being taught there?

Perhaps those examples are both a stretch, but telling someone that is eager to learn and is also thirsty for experience that the books that detail certain aspects of our craft is worth throwing out the door is just plain foolish.

I'm not saying that the books are the answer and that it's gonna get the guy where he wants to get- but it's a start... and a great resource to start with (in addition to some gigs and some records).
Got Blushda?
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Apr 10, 2011 7:14 pm

Gaddabout wrote:I think "mentor" is a big word, somewhat rare, and almost unheard of in the music world. If you're 12 years old and you show a rare talent and live in Alan Dawson's neighborhood, maybe he takes you under his wing and shows you the ropes, introduces you to the big shots of the world while devoting a lot of time with you in the shed. But that's just now how it works for 99.99999999999 percent of the rest of the people who make it in this biz.

I'll give you this: I've read almost all of your posts here and I sense the hunger and dissatisfaction with your own playing. I can even sense the deep regret and relate to it. I took a whole decade off from serious drumming to care for my wife at a time right when I thought I was getting somewhere, and when I came back I felt like a newborn in traffic on the freeway. Two years deep into it, I still sort of feel that way. You're looking for someone to personally inspire you, and man do I get the appeal of that, because that clock is ticking.

There's no shortage of instructors in LA (o anywhere) -- even great instructors -- who will take your money and watch you squander your time. They're getting paid by the clock whether you improve or not, and I assure you if you're not going to put in the time, they're not going to give you anything extra.

But here's a bit of reality for you: At this stage in the game, there's no Mr. Myagi, janitor-drum instructor, who's going to step in and change the story arc in your life. No one else is going to get you where you want to be. Maybe things are dark right now, you can't see how to get from where you're at to where you want to be, but the only place that light is going to turn on is in the shed, behind the kit, sweating your ass off working on the things you already know you need to learn. Once you've cleared a path there, THEN you might find an instructor who sees your passion and pours some extra energy into you.

Gavin told his story awhile back. Search for that thread. It was so simple an educational. To sum: He accepted the reality of what I wrote above and he went locked himself out from the world for a long spell and gave himself over to the drums. It was a conscience decision, but one that came with major dividends. I have no idea what he worked on during that time, but I think he already knew what he both wanted and needed to work on and I'm betting you do, too.

I implore you to rent yourself a tiny apartment, live on rice and beans, live way below your means, buy a cheap used kit, rent a lockout, and go pursue your passion. Forget the instructor for now. Go get in the habit of selling out to the drums. Get in the habit of driving from work to the shed and getting lost in your practice. Do that for three months and come back and THEN tell us what you think. I guarantee your posts will be full of optimism and excitement and you will have fewer questions about which direction to take here or there. In fact I think you will answer most of your questions.

Nicely put, man... IMHO , that´s the answer to most questions regarding pursuing something... Devoting yourselft to it...
bclarkio

Postby bclarkio » Mon Apr 11, 2011 1:51 am

Seems to me you're getting some mentoring right here.

House of Drumming - the Home of Multiple Mentors!

In your pursuit of Drumming Excellence, it can be valuable to know what you really want, and why.

Can the words from your brain tell you?

Can the feelings from your heart show you?

When you envision what your life will be like when you become a great drummer, what do you see?
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:03 am

Gaddabout hit it solid.

Live below your means, devote yourself to the instrument. There's a TON, just a TON of resources out. Between all that there is, a decent instructor and your own aspirations you should be good to go.

Above all things, and something that seemingly can't be stressed enough (cause still so few do it), record your practice! Video it. Review it with a keen sense of finding faults, write down what you find, work on them, repeat at length.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:15 am

Gaddabout wrote:I think "mentor" is a big word, somewhat rare ...

Excellent post. Thanks for taking the time. And can I ever relate to the ten years off quandary.
I'm not sure if that's a rhetorical question or not.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Mon Apr 11, 2011 9:28 am

Still wondering which area of LA to live in to try to meet people. I have to find a permanent place soon anyway

It seems finances are an issue. If you have not moved to LA already, I would have cash reserves for almost a year.
It is pretty easy to calculate a realistic expense chart. As for housing, I would rent a guest house. I did and you can
live in a residential neighborhood far beyond what you can afford and have more opportunity to practice not afforded
in the typical apt building. Then of you soundproof a small bedroom, all the better for an acoustic kit. No need to rent
a rehearsal room/studio. Start w/craigslist and work outward, search for guest house.

The next step to save cash is renting a room. Again, you can live in a better area. Look for someone into music...read
between the lines and do not come out with, "Hey bro, I play drums" within the first minute unless you enjoy that rejection
thing. Enough ladies out here will meet that need over time.

The next logical thought is work. I would cater around your work location...assuming you have a job lined up. If you
do not, think and think again.

Point being, the mentor thing is great, but get the basics in order first (food, water, shelter, the finger...)

just my thot 4 t day...
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Mon Apr 11, 2011 5:01 pm

A couple of you have e-mailed me privately or on Facebook about the post. Thanks for the positive feedback.

I get my philosophy from my grandfather, but it's been reinforced lately by Dave Ramsey, who is a radio host who gives people great advice on how to get out of debt. I believe his philosophy applies to just about anything. As a culture we spend too much time trying to find the easy way to something instead of doing the easiest thing ... just doing it and pursuing it. It takes a certain amount of courage and character, but it's amazing to me how people find strong personality traits when they just start taking baby steps. Discipline begets discipline. It's one of those human nature things -- a positive cycle.

If any of you care to learn about Dave Ramsey, his link is below:

http://www.daveramsey.com/home/
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.

Return to “Drumming Chat”