Nashville first-call drummers

Tombo 7/4

Re: Nashville first-call drummers

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Sun May 15, 2011 1:46 pm

Is Milton Sledge still in Nashville? I think he was pretty 1st call in the 90s having played on all Garth Brooks albums.

I discovered the country subculture when filling-in on a couple gigs with a country rock band. We played lots of Garth Brooks plus some Alan Jackson, George Strait, Travis Tritt,...I didn't know any of those songs or artists before. I really liked the GB stuff. Top notch production, good hooks and arrangements and great drumming by Milton Sledge. Brooks sold over 200M records! And I wondered who the hell buys this. I found out lots of people like country music in secrecy and when weekend comes, they put on their Stetsons and boots and go dancing in private halls.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun May 15, 2011 1:54 pm

What's the music genre who sell the most in the USA ? Country ? Rap or Gospel ?
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
S.P

Postby S.P » Sun May 15, 2011 2:01 pm

I just tried to have a quick look......then found this:

Nelly single "Just a dream" has 82m views on youtube and has gone 3x platinum.....
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun May 15, 2011 2:12 pm

Tombo 7/4 wrote:I found out lots of people like country music in secrecy...

Maybe it's time to try and put together a country/jazz fusion band. Something like Dixie Dregs, with less classical influence, and a bit more country, with a smokin' hot girl singer who wears really short cut-off jeans and tight tank-tops. The girl would draw the crowds, and you could get away with playing "jazz"...sort of....
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Mon May 16, 2011 3:39 pm

Rodge wrote:What's the music genre who sell the most in the USA ? Country ? Rap or Gospel ?

I would venture it's a close race between country and rap/contemporary R&B. Gospel isn't really a big seller unless you call it under the bigger label of "contemporary Christian music" (CCM); then it's a formidable (but still not quite massive) genre.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Andrew<3'sVinnie

Postby Andrew<3'sVinnie » Mon May 16, 2011 4:14 pm

I would say "Pop" is in the running too.
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Mon May 16, 2011 8:14 pm

And of course, "classic rock" is pretty high-selling too.
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Wed May 18, 2011 9:12 am

Man, I just listened to the song "Finest Hour" by Wayne Watson. I heard that tune a lot in my childhood.

Great drums on it. I looked up the credits and it was Chris McHugh.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Fri May 20, 2011 7:05 am

One of Keith's family members (sister?) goes to school with my buddie's daughter, so I think he is in Nashville (Brentwood) area.

Speaking of "breaking in" my friend is 27 trying to break into session work in Nashville living in Mufreesboro...he received a rather interesting email from a very famous Nashville session drummer. Can't get into the specifics, but this drummer with over 30 plus years of extremely successful session work seemed very threatened by my buddy asking some questions of how to work in Nashville. You would think this was almost second nature...young drummer asks seasoned vet some tips on how to "make it." Basically he said this is my turf and don't even try to get my gigs. My friend was floored...like he was going to steal a gig from this cat. In the end, the guy was very human and not very gracious.

Life.

Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri May 20, 2011 2:48 pm

Pocketplayer wrote:One of Keith's family members (sister?) goes to school with my buddie's daughter, so I think he is in Nashville (Brentwood) area.

Speaking of "breaking in" my friend is 27 trying to break into session work in Nashville living in Mufreesboro...he received a rather interesting email from a very famous Nashville session drummer. Can't get into the specifics, but this drummer with over 30 plus years of extremely successful session work seemed very threatened by my buddy asking some questions of how to work in Nashville. You would think this was almost second nature...young drummer asks seasoned vet some tips on how to "make it." Basically he said this is my turf and don't even try to get my gigs. My friend was floored...like he was going to steal a gig from this cat. In the end, the guy was very human and not very gracious.

I don't mean to excuse that kind of behavior, but I think that's the norm in the session world. There are a few highly successful guys over the years that were known for encouraging the careers of other young drummers, but they stand out I think because most session players are paranoid about where their next paycheck will come from.

I was at a small clinic for a very successful NY session guy a few years back here in Phoenix and afterwards I went up to him and asked him about a lick of his. He mumbled something and walked away, but the message was pretty clear: "That's my lick and I'm not giving you anything of mine for free."
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.

Return to “Drumming Chat”