Looking For a Mentor

rpc

Re: Looking For a Mentor

Postby rpc » Mon Apr 11, 2011 6:51 pm

At the Baked Potato now. Well, Carl's Jr. across the street.

On the drive here, I was thinking about everything that's been said here. I wonder if I could rent a storage unit and live in it. I could get a gym membership and shower at the gym every morning. I need to be spending time in the gym anyway. And it would inspire me to eat differently, which is good. I could stick a box spring and mattress in the unit, drive to and from work, practice hours and hours a day and take lessons. I could set up a camera to film my progress. I'm a little worried about my hand, but if there's one thing I've learned from years upon years of being an inactive drummer, its that you never actually stop playing, whether you play a Pearl Masterworks in stadiums with Paul McCartney or you tap on the edge of the seat with your fingers on the bus you sleep on each day before work.

I think a drummer either actualizes the text that constantly streams through his head, or he spends the rest of his life in limbo, always drumming, but never in a setting that benefits anyone.

Or maybe I'm being a moron.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Mon Apr 11, 2011 8:36 pm

look, I don't know your situation. But what you just wrote is pure fantasy and frankly, a little scary. Here's what should be your focus: Health, Food, Shelter. period.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:37 pm

rpc wrote:On the drive here, I was thinking about everything that's been said here. I wonder if I could rent a storage unit and live in it. I could get a gym membership and shower at the gym every morning. I need to be spending time in the gym anyway. And it would inspire me to eat differently, which is good. I could stick a box spring and mattress in the unit, drive to and from work, practice hours and hours a day and take lessons.

That would be both dangerous and illegal. Also, pretty sure storage units wouldn't let you play your drums and your drums would end up being ruined from exposure. Seriously, follow d's advice above.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
littlegrooves

Postby littlegrooves » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:49 am

deseipel wrote:look, I don't know your situation. But what you just wrote is pure fantasy and frankly, a little scary. Here's what should be your focus: Health, Food, Shelter. period.

I second that.

RPC-- I don't mean any disrespect by saying this, but some of these posts, as well as your other posts, sound a bit manic.

Perhaps you should slow down and try to get everything into perspective. One moment you're thinking you are never going to play again, and now you are willing to lock yourself into a storage unit?

How about you let your finger heal, and once that takes place you call every "drummer needed" add within a 50 mile radius, network like crazy, etc. I think that kind of practical experience is much better for you in the long run than becoming a drum-hermit. Not to mention that it will give you a ton of stuff to work on and it will uncover your weaknesses so that you can have focused practice time, as opposed to practicing for the sake of logging hours.

One hour of "get sh*t done" shedding is worth 6 hours of noodling and wanking.
rpc

Postby rpc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:35 am

I'm kind of surprised by the responses to my storage shed idea. I've been sufficiently talked out of it, so Im not going to do it, but it really wouldn't be that wild or crazy of a thing.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:03 am

Yea, there's no way you would get away with that in a public storage. They have pretty strict rules about that stuff.

Do you have a job lined up? I think you said in Santa Monica?

To re-iterate previous, Shelter, Food, Water. I'm not sure what gas is in LA right now, but you gotta figure budgeting at LEAST $100/month alone for that.

The amount of work any given person can get done on a practice pad (both hands and feet) is incredible. Just most people it seems lack the motivation/dedication to get it the Work part of it done.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:53 pm

I was working w/Dave in Cool Springs the past two years...his baby steps are simple but foundational.
Was actually the reason I moved to TN.

This foundation is essential to creativity that lasts. If you simply want to have a thrill
lifestyle motivated more by fantasy and illusion then by all means, live in a shed. Makes a cool story
for your autobiography.

I think the first few posts to this thread was someone saying to heal that hand first. Thus the quick
shift from, "I'm about to lose my finger" to "Looking for a mentor" was a bit sudden. Thus, you can
understand the reaction. Hopefully, not having a Charlie Sheen moment of denial...just sayin'
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:34 pm

rpc wrote:I'm kind of surprised by the responses to my storage shed idea. I've been sufficiently talked out of it, so Im not going to do it, but it really wouldn't be that wild or crazy of a thing.

Years ago, back in the mid-80s, when was living in Canadia, a top-40 band in LA paid for me to fly down and play with them. I was to live with two other band members in the actual rehearsal "studio". Although the band itself was not very good, I looked at it as a chance to get down here and either audition for other gigs, or study with my heros.

It turned out that the rehearsal "studio" was more like a garage in an industrial neighborhood in Reseda. It had no hot water, and no shower. I had to join a gym so that I could shower. And without a car, it meant a daily bus ride to the gym each morning (30 minutes each way).

The first night, I slept on the carpeted floor. The second day, I bought a small bed at a garage sale. A few days later, I managed to snag lessons with Mark Craney, and he actually tried to find me a gig. But the whole thing didn't last. I couldn't take more than three or four weeks of that nonsense before flying back to Canaduh, where I had loads of well paying gigs (minus the sun and folks like Mark Craney).

So yeah, you CAN do it, but it's really a pretty creepy existence. It may help your drumming, but your soul will be screwed. Definitely not something for anyone over the age of 25 to consider.
rpc

Postby rpc » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:52 pm

I guess I feel like it should be a given that I'm talking about the future here. I'm not (necessarily) looking for a world-class drummer to sit down with me tomorrow; I'm planning my future in LA and, since I have to find a permanent place anyway (renting a room in Redondo Beach now), I put out feelers here to see where in town I should be setting my sights. Again, I want to live near a thriving music environment and near an instructor who will guide me through a sort of metamorphosis process as a player.

My finger is healing nicely. The swelling and pain have subsided and, since the doctor set it, I can move it again. I anticipate a pretty-close-to-full recovery.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 pm

DSOP wrote:
rpc wrote:I'm kind of surprised by the responses to my storage shed idea. I've been sufficiently talked out of it, so Im not going to do it, but it really wouldn't be that wild or crazy of a thing.

Years ago, back in the mid-80s, when was living in Canadia, a top-40 band in LA paid for me to fly down and play with them. I was to live with two other band members in the actual rehearsal "studio". Although the band itself was not very good, I looked at it as a chance to get down here and either audition for other gigs, or study with my heros.

It turned out that the rehearsal "studio" was more like a garage in an industrial neighborhood in Reseda. It had no hot water, and no shower. I had to join a gym so that I could shower. And without a car, it meant a daily bus ride to the gym each morning (30 minutes each way).

The first night, I slept on the carpeted floor. The second day, I bought a small bed at a garage sale. A few days later, I managed to snag lessons with Mark Craney, and he actually tried to find me a gig. But the whole thing didn't last. I couldn't take more than three or four weeks of that nonsense before flying back to Canaduh, where I had loads of well paying gigs (minus the sun and folks like Mark Craney).

So yeah, you CAN do it, but it's really a pretty creepy existence. It may help your drumming, but your soul will be screwed. Definitely not something for anyone over the age of 25 to consider.

But you made it in the end..You are living in Socal and playing music you want to play..and from what I gather about you,you are doing it on your own terms..That's motivational to someone like me who loves all that crazy fusion music and the technique it involves ,but I dont have "Vinnie's,Dave's,Jojo's etc etc " chops..I probably never will but it doesnt stop me from studying and doing it. In reference to rpc's situation..It's a good thing to go for once the finger is back.
There is nothing left to say.

Return to “Drumming Chat”