Nashville first-call drummers

cjbdrm

Re: Nashville first-call drummers

Postby cjbdrm » Fri May 20, 2011 5:20 pm

You can tell the difference between someone asking for advice, and someone trying to use you or exploit you, or manipulate you. I'll bet if we heard the actual conversation, we'd have a different opinion. I can gurantee that you that the Nashvile session guy you're referring to wouldn't be able to sustain such a prolonged session career in Nashville if he was a jerk. Wouldn't happen.
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Sat May 21, 2011 2:12 pm

cjbdrm wrote:I can gurantee that you that the Nashvile session guy you're referring to wouldn't be able to sustain such a prolonged session career in Nashville if he was a jerk. Wouldn't happen.

There are guys working at the Pizza Huts in Nashville who are "better" players than the session guys. But the drumming itself is a small part of what it takes to have a career there.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Sat May 21, 2011 2:58 pm

Ardent15 wrote:
cjbdrm wrote:I can gurantee that you that the Nashvile session guy you're referring to wouldn't be able to sustain such a prolonged session career in Nashville if he was a jerk. Wouldn't happen.

There are guys working at the Pizza Huts in Nashville who are "better" players than the session guys. But the drumming itself is a small part of what it takes to have a career there.

Exactly...It's the Old South after all..Total Good ole' boy country.. You just dont see that many non-caucasian musicians playing (drumming) behind big nashville acts or working in the Nashville studios..There are some exceptions but not that many...Like I said before,it's the ole' South...

There is nothing wrong with that tradition I suppose.
There is nothing left to say.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Sun May 22, 2011 9:05 am

You can tell the difference between someone asking for advice, and someone trying to use you or exploit you, or manipulate you.

Agreed. Yet in my story, why even email the guy back? Just let it go at that. Why berate the kid and establish a turf war to a virtual unknown young drummer? Why attach an email with your name on it?

The inner roundtable drummers are exactly that, an inner circle of guys that are tight. This drummer could not be a wanker and have a career like he has...maybe my friend caught the end of a bad run of cats nagging at him over a period of time or read into it more than it was. Who knows? This is a very tight little group and living outside of Nashville and the "south" it is not NYC or LA...it took some neighbors months before they spoke to me when I moved there and I realized quickly to not tell people I was from CA, especially So Cal!
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun May 22, 2011 7:45 pm

gotta figure that it's no longer "city based" call guys, that is to say the first call guys are who they are, vinnie, etc, doesn't matter where in the world they are. if you can afford them, you can afford to bring them in.

from there it steps down into the locals. no offense locals.

i've heard that nashville is primarily song writers recording their demos to shop their songs. that and the summers suuuuuuuuuuck.
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Mon May 23, 2011 3:02 pm

Just so you know,

This whole thread could be about any major city that I've ever worked in. It's certainly true of London, for the most part...

MP
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Mon May 23, 2011 3:43 pm

Mark P wrote:Just so you know,

This whole thread could be about any major city that I've ever worked in. It's certainly true of London, for the most part...

MP

Yes, but Mark, I understand the secret to making it "in" the London club is a plaid shirt. Low standards, brotha, and not a very well-kept secret!
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Mon May 23, 2011 10:18 pm

Gaddabout wrote:
Mark P wrote:Just so you know,

MP

Yes, but Mark, I understand the secret to making it "in" the London club is a plaid shirt. Low standards, brotha, and not a very well-kept secret!

What's the secret to making it in Phoenix? Leaving the town? :mrgreen:

Return to “Drumming Chat”