Vinnie Clinic London 1987 [audio]

Manu

Re: Vinnie Clinic London 1987 [audio]

Postby Manu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:18 am

drum6282 wrote:
amoergosum wrote:
Kurtis wrote:Vinnie doesn't lurk any drum forum. He has a guy that lurks for him. Maybe the person who runs his web site.

Vinnie is busy >>>

"Joining Mr. Obama for the joyous occasion was a bevy of other famous faces, including fellow Chi-town star Jennifer Hudson as well as famed drummer Vinnie Colaiuta and the city's mayor, Rahm Emanuel.
As for the musical entertainment, Hudson, Herbie Hancock and the rock group OK Go all took the stage throughout the evening, the American Idol star singing "Happy Birthday" to the President."

Source:
http://www.nowpublic.com/culture/presid ... ty-chicago

"After the birthday bash for the President, Mr. Colaiuta went back to the hotel to do followups on the popular drumming forum, Houseofdrumming.com. A forum that is built around the inspiring talents of Mr. Colaiuta and other professional drummers, inspiring any and everyone worldwide in relation to drumming. However, Mr. Colaiuta vows to fight the internet from, in what he considers illegally, spreading his talents, rather it be through video or audio. The rest of the night, Vinnie googled himself on such popular sites as Youtube.com and Houseofdrumming.com in hopes of being able to stop any leaks of his performances. If any performance is found he hasn't approved or received compensation for, he immediately starts the progress of getting the performance removed, through whatever means necessary, disappointing hundreds of die hard Vinnie fans worldwide. Don't let him catch you with a recording device at a live performance either."

:D

ROFL!
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:23 am

circh bustom wrote:Ive heard mostly bad things about Vinnie's behavior towards people when he's not on the drum throne. With only one exception, a kid i know working the local House Of Blues helped Vinnie and had a good convo with him after playing with J Beck.
When my wife and I saw Vinnie with Jeff in philly two years ago, we just stood outside the back door to see the band get on the bus. im not one for going up to these people and gushing, they get that enough already. We just wanted to stand right there and see him up close. But, Jeff came out and he was gracious. Then Tal walks out and starts to talk a little bit, Vinnie comes out and a few people, my wife included, cheer. He snubs us and very sternly grabs Tal's arm and tells her she needs to get on the bus NOW. That really bothered us. Weckl kinda snubbed me once in Philly, but he at least had a nice convo with my wife. Hell, id rather speak to her than me anyway, haha. If Vinnie was a business owner in the traditional sense, Id never patronize his store again. But the problem, and he knows it, is that he is the only Vinnie in the world. We hang on every single stroke and accent like its the bible. No matter how he is personally, we want more drumming. I guess he has the right to control what is out there if we, collectively are using his name, even if we arent striving to profit financially off of his videos on youtube or drummerworld or whereever. what can ya do? Drummers have argued for years that we"own what we play" and here he is putting his money where his mouth is. Guess we should just be happy that we heard it.

Cut the guy some slack, oftentimes after a gig I dont feel like talking to anyone, and I am a nobody. Probably Vinnie being meticulous as he is goes to the dressing room to punch some wall for that accented note he missed on page 5 of his sheet music or something. :D
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:40 am

An acquaintance of mine cornered Vinnie after the Herbie Hancock show, near the bus, and said Vinnie was very friendly. He said they carried on a pretty long chat which included Vinnie sharing his faith and some general talk about his participation in drum clinics.
Manu

Postby Manu » Fri Aug 05, 2011 11:42 am

Clint Hopkins wrote:An acquaintance of mine cornered Vinnie after the Herbie Hancock show, near the bus, and said Vinnie was very friendly. He said they carried on a pretty long chat which included Vinnie sharing his faith and some general talk about his participation in drum clinics.

Yeah, that's a good one, if you wanna get a word out of vinnie, talk about his faith, then you wont be able to get rid of him, and you will probably want to :D
Frank Sanchez

Postby Frank Sanchez » Fri Aug 05, 2011 12:34 pm

I'm sorry but every occasion I have had to meet Vinnie, I have found him friendly, winsome and willing to talk. I've not witnessed him being standoffish, which doesn't mean that he hasn't been, but in all the times that I have seen him, you'd think that one would see it at least once. Frankly, there are other guys that I have the opposite tale to tell, but not the Vinster.

Everyone can have a bad night. If someone is lurking for him, I hope that he'll hear the sentiment that propels us to seek after his playing, and consider offering something through an official medium that would satisfy his fans, perhaps multi-disk DVD. It may never happen, but it sure would be nice.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Fri Aug 05, 2011 1:50 pm

I really dig 1:15 when Vin breaks into that Scofield/Chambers 'So You Say' groove. I've always loved that groove.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Aug 05, 2011 2:01 pm

Frank Sanchez wrote:I'm sorry but every occasion I have had to meet Vinnie, I have found him friendly, winsome and willing to talk. I've not witnessed him being standoffish, which doesn't mean that he hasn't been, but in all the times that I have seen him, you'd think that one would see it at least once. Frankly, there are other guys that I have the opposite tale to tell, but not the Vinster.

Everyone can have a bad night. If someone is lurking for him, I hope that he'll hear the sentiment that propels us to seek after his playing, and consider offering something through an official medium that would satisfy his fans, perhaps multi-disk DVD. It may never happen, but it sure would be nice.

I've never met anyone who's met Vinnie who had a bad word to say about him, even before his newfound faith. The issue is -- and I think always will be -- recorded performances. Vinnie is sort of the anti-Weckl in that he doesn't seem to want any video performances of his playing getting out when he's really going for the Vinnie stuff. I think the last MD article revealed his mindset -- he wants people to go through the same process he went through and doesn't want a bunch of Vinnie clones out there (though that number has been growing rapidly the last decade). I don't think it's vanity. I think he sincerely thinks it's bad for drumming. Just my opinion.

I don't sweat that perspective, but it doesn't stop me from pursuing those illicit recordings, either. ;)
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:00 pm

I'd love to get a copy of this if anyone can spare it..??

Regarding VC off the throne...Well I had the opportunity to meet him in 94.He was all of the great things people say about him,except toward this one cat who was heckling him and pissing him off...Vinnie stood his ground verbally and then proceeded to play the living shit out of the drums like only he can.....

The jerk being an a-hole almost didnt make it out of there alive that night because of all of the other drummers in the audience..
There is nothing left to say.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Fri Aug 05, 2011 3:40 pm

Thanks Clint!!!
There is nothing left to say.
Manu

Postby Manu » Sat Aug 06, 2011 12:13 am

Patrick Tiglao wrote:I'd love to get a copy of this if anyone can spare it..??

Regarding VC off the throne...Well I had the opportunity to meet him in 94.He was all of the great things people say about him,except toward this one cat who was heckling him and pissing him off...Vinnie stood his ground verbally and then proceeded to play the living shit out of the drums like only he can.....

The jerk being an a-hole almost didnt make it out of there alive that night because of all of the other drummers in the audience..

what was the asshole's problem exactly? was it a clinic setting?

Return to “Drumming Chat”