Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: Bruner with Holdsworth (Dan Quayle Edition)

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Oct 02, 2011 10:37 pm

Noone's comparing anyone to anybody.

I'm simply stating as a guitarplayer, which I've been for 25 years, that in this example I hear a drummer that is too focused on displaying a bunch of quite stiff and square licks that take away from the music as a whole. It might just be that night. Just commenting as a musician on this particular performance. I would personally find that kind of drumming quite annoying and distracting to play along with.
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 3:39 am

Also, if Vinnie did something that didn't please my ears and was available to see, I'd most likely comment it, mainly because we all learn from that stuff and it will affect in some way how we play and perceive things. And it's the "do"s are as important as the "don't"s.
My problem with that fill was in context: the fill was cool, but it was so in your face and the tempo was so tense that it would throw you away anytime of the week. I listen to guys like VC or Virgil all the time and I do get this stuff, it doesn't bother me the way they play it. This particular one does, just because it's not fitting and I needed someone to "zoom in" and put a click track to it to hear it on time. And really, it's not just me, the dynamics and time pushing misled AH and JJ, who are as acomplished as it can get in musicianship. If I threw that stuff at them while playing their classic tune and threw them away, I wouldn't go like "gotcha!". My reading of the situation would be quite different.
Again, the guy is a terrific drummer and some stuff he plays is just awesome, but whenever he goes in that gospel super drummer mode I just can't enjoy the music.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Oct 03, 2011 4:29 am

Wow guys, you can get really anal about it... This whole thing about a FILL?!
Really makes me wonder how hard you are with your own playing...
I enjoyed the clip, didn´t change my life but doesn´t feel like a waste of my time...
I applaud Ron for being were he´s now and for remaining me that I need to keep pushing my own drumming to achieve some of the skills he has...
Matus

Postby Matus » Mon Oct 03, 2011 7:09 am

Actually it's about the style/philosophy of playing. It's a sum of the fill(s), the sound, the dynamics, the note placement... Some say it's fitting, some say it's not. It's not a "he made this fill, therefore he sucks" kind of thing, but discussing how he approached the song as a whole. And rather respectfully, I'd say.
But yeah, my self-analysis is even worse.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
james

Postby james » Mon Oct 03, 2011 8:29 am

Matus wrote:Actually it's about the style/philosophy of playing. It's a sum of the fill(s), the sound, the dynamics, the note placement... Some say it's fitting, some say it's not. It's not a "he made this fill, therefore he sucks" kind of thing, but discussing how he approached the song as a whole. And rather respectfully, I'd say.

agreed!
Cymbalfeltfetishist

Postby Cymbalfeltfetishist » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:01 am

Please remind me not to play at the BP when some of you are in the audience....you guys would make me feeling bad about myself if I flubbed a note!

I dunno, I like that the guy takes chances and misses every once in a while...it make the playing exciting. It's just a different approach, that's all, and it doesn't work in every situation. I don't think AH is stupid, you don't hire Ron to play it straight. He plays with forward motion.

We need guys like Ron to push the instrument and it's possiblities. Do I play like him or even want to?? No. I do my thing he does his. But I respect his thing...as a matter of fact, I admire his fearlessness...I wish I had a little more of this...playing safe all the time can sometimes make the music stagnant.

Come on guys, haven't you ever lost a fill? not even once? It's ok to be human for god sake.

With love and respect, Mark
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Oct 03, 2011 9:34 am

With myself I`d be much harder simply because then I would actually be commenting on my own shortcommings.

I`m not criticizing anyone`s ability or current level of musicality here. Anyone wants to be better at that no matter where they are, at east I hope so. What I`m commenting on is the intention and willingness to listen and communicate. Not being able to not pull something is cool if you really tried. This seemed like something else.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Mon Oct 03, 2011 11:45 am

Look simply put Bruner is working more and with higher-profile folks than all of us here replying to this topic....
There is nothing left to say.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Mon Oct 03, 2011 12:40 pm

This thread awright is pure moleculerization, awright
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon Oct 03, 2011 2:44 pm

Aside from Bruner's serious chops, he's obviously an awesome human being; Otherwise, no way would Allan or Jimmy play with him.

Return to “Drumming Chat”