Letterman drum solo week II

Gavin Harrison

Re: Letterman drum solo week II

Postby Gavin Harrison » Wed Aug 24, 2011 3:56 am

Thanks guys.
that was intense - and I finally slept well.

@Clint. Paul Shaffer's son has drum lessons - and his teacher suggested me to Paul. So that's how I got invited.

@Rodge. you can pick any song you want and they'll make an arrangement of it. I just though "The Chicken" would be good fun to play - especially with Will Lee on bass!

cheers
Gavin
moose

Postby moose » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:08 am

Gavin, I noticed Paul Shaffer speaking into his mic - did you have him in your ears?
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:23 am

Yeah, I had the same question. Maybe related: was there a click (or was Paul your click)?

Where'd you get the "air into tom" trick?

Tasteful double pedal playing as always.
markie04drum

Postby markie04drum » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:32 am

Nice work Gavin! Both you and the kit sounded great! Really fun to watch. Chops and musicality. Very well done! The finger slides across the tom and the tube/floor tom things? Nice! bringing it to the masses!

I thought Tony's performance was fine too. I can't blame his sound on his DW drums though. They were obviously "tuned" maybe finger tight. I don't know any drum company that sounds good with those heads (Evans EC2's ??) just flapping and wrinkled. The guy can play-That's for sure!
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:36 am

Lucas Ives wrote:Where'd you get the "air into tom" trick?

I just found this site here...Glenn Kotche mentions that Mani Neumeier invented it.

>>>

Probably the most frequesntly asked question I get about my kit is about a set of tubes that are attached to my toms. People see me blowing in them while playing, and they can't figure out what it is that I'm doing. I'm quick to point out that this idea is not my own. I was lucky enough to read about it in an old interview with Mani Neumeier, the renowned drummer for the German band Guru Guru. He describes his invention as an air hose attached to a mounted tom, allowing him to change the pitch of the tom at will, simply by blowing air into it while playing.

Link:
http://glennkotche.com/press/md_0705.php
markie04drum

Postby markie04drum » Wed Aug 24, 2011 4:56 am

I remember meeting Stanton Moore at a small club here in Atlanta back in '95-'96 or so. I was there with a friend meeting with management asking for a gig for us under age at the time. Galactic was sound checking, and I hear that pitch control thing coming from a drum. I walked up to, the then unknown Stanton, and he showed me that he had a plastic hose inserted into the vent hole. Wow! Not just that idea, but that approach, changed my thoughts on drumming.

Really nice guy and I will never forget him taking the time out of sound check to show some kid that little trick. Great future educator! Cool dude and cool trick.

He is one I would add to the Letterman Drum Solo Week III.
old_K_ride

Postby old_K_ride » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:00 am

moose wrote:

- The band counting for all they're worth.

boy no kiddin ' !

yeah Gavin ! great song choice ! the solo was beautiful . I particularly dug the lick where you were striking the bell of the ride at the end of the flourishes .
as the others have already said too, your kit , top to bottom , sounded fantastic .
TR
janne jansson

Postby janne jansson » Wed Aug 24, 2011 5:45 am

Mr Gavin!

That was world class drumming from world class drummer!

------------------------------------
This is me playing 7/8:
http://youtu.be/KlkJ2QtY6hQ
robhaerr

Postby robhaerr » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:16 am

Gavin Harrison wrote:OK Guys - I've done it. For better or worse it's done. That is a really high pressure situation - (I just saw Tony Royster in the hotel and he felt the same) and for me being someone who NEVER plays solos - it was a real challenge too.
I tried to get the mix guy to put some reverb on the drums - but there's only so much meddling you can do.

I'm too tired to stay up and watch it tonight. I'll see it on YouTube tomorrow with all the comments like "drummer X" is so much better - why didn't they get "drummer Y" instead. My favourite is "drummer Z" and this guy sucks ass etc etc.

Hope you enjoy it
Gavin

Nailed it, Gavin. Drums sounded great, as usual for you...nice meddling!

Looked like you were having fun...wish Letterman would talk to all the drummers for a few minutes.

Those long solo sections...did Paul S count you back in? Would love the back story of the whole event!

Huge triumph for you...but you are setting the bar pretty high for us schlubs who also NEVER SOLO!

Raisin' a glass in your honor...nice, nice, nice...

Rob
Last edited by robhaerr on Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
Christopher

Postby Christopher » Wed Aug 24, 2011 6:24 am

That was fan-frigging-tastic!

Playing was excellent. Composition was excellent. Kit sound was excellent.

Toms sounded especially nice. Way to go telling the sound guy to ramp up the reverb, Gavin. Really sounded great.

Non musician comment (from my wife)…

“He really made it sound like music.”

In the end, that says it all.

Congrats!

Return to “Drumming Chat”