Vinnie/Gretsch divorce?

Richie Jarvis

Re: Vinnie/Gretsch divorce?

Postby Richie Jarvis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:50 pm

I have read this entire thread and just thought I would throw in my $1.38 worth.

I am a Yamaha endorsee and have been for about 7 years but before that I was buying their drums and hardware for almost 10 years. For a breif stint I was also endorsed by a cymbal company as well but the cymbals just weren't me, weren't the sound I was looking for and no matter what Jedi mind tricks were used I went back to the sound I loved in the first place and just fell in love with them all over again. I am a fanboi of Yamaha and if they decided to no longer endorse the company I would still buy what I love. I do not get paid by Yamaha for anything, appearances, clinics, drummers days.... nothing, if you like the gear and like to play and talk about it then getting paid for it kind of takes the excitement away from being an endorsee of the company.

Gretsch make some great stuff, I heard a viine kit anf thought "WOW" and not in a good way, the sound wasn't me and all I wanted to hear was a YAMMY, thats the sound I like, thats where my musical heart is.

Who cares what he plays or anyone plays for that matter, you go to see the player, not the gear.

Sorry I whaffled.... :lol:
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:07 pm

Richie, you do clinics for free (for yamaha in this case)?
Sorry if I misunderstood...
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:22 pm

Julián Fernández wrote:Richie, you do clinics for free (for yamaha in this case)?
Sorry if I misunderstood...

Yep, If I need to travel interstate then costs would need to be covered but.... Drummers come and see you play, then they will come to your gigs, buy your book, CD, DVD ETC. Some shops will look after me but my hand is never out asking for $$$.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Feb 01, 2012 7:52 pm

Richie Jarvis wrote:I have read this entire thread and just thought I would throw in my $1.38 worth.

Thanks for chiming in Richie. Is that $1.38 in Australian dollars? ;)

I like Yamaha's stuff a lot too. Even though my main set is Gretsch, I use all Yamaha hardware, even tom mounts. :)
Richie Jarvis

Postby Richie Jarvis » Wed Feb 01, 2012 8:48 pm

DSOP wrote:
Richie Jarvis wrote:I have read this entire thread and just thought I would throw in my $1.38 worth.

Thanks for chiming in Richie. Is that $1.38 in Australian dollars? ;)

I like Yamaha's stuff a lot too. Even though my main set is Gretsch, I use all Yamaha hardware, even tom mounts. :)

It sure was, it's like $1.48USD I think but I preffer ZIMB and that works out to be like $554 Zimbabwe dollars..... then egain they do have a billion dollar note.

I think all drum companies make great gear, it's a very personal choice in my opinion. Before I was using Yamaha officialy I had other brands of hardware all over the house but I always kept back to Yamaha.

:)
Rhythmatist

Postby Rhythmatist » Wed Feb 01, 2012 9:40 pm

DSOP wrote:I like Yamaha's stuff a lot too. Even though my main set is Gretsch, I use all Yamaha hardware, even tom mounts. :)

I'm with you on that. I've had my "main" Gretsch kit since I got it new in the early 80's. By the late 80's I began migrating to all Yamaha hardware...it's incredibly road worthy, affordable and most importantly, logically designed. In all these years the only part I ever broke was a bushing insert and that was due to stupidity on my part.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Feb 02, 2012 12:38 am

I was with Yamaha in France, I left when Joe Testa and the french AR left, they paid me for doing demo, Master Class and Music Camp, I think it's normal, you can't go out of your home and working for nothing.
BUT, of course doing stuff like NAMM Show, Groove Night, etc... It's all fun, they pay your travel, food, hotel, you do it for free.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
johannhjorleifsson

Postby johannhjorleifsson » Sun Feb 05, 2012 12:07 pm

White Gretsch kit on stage for tonight's Sting gigg....

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=3039277576797
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sun Feb 05, 2012 1:14 pm

Thanks man, I'm glad to see the white kit still around.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:34 am

I dig on the white kit, maybe it's part of the sell off period haha...

Return to “Drumming Chat”