GAVIN HARRISON - The topic about The Creative Man

Juan Expósito

GAVIN HARRISON - The topic about The Creative Man

Postby Juan Expósito » Tue Dec 06, 2011 12:49 pm

And great playing footage in his studio...

Last edited by Juan Expósito on Sun Nov 05, 2017 7:22 am, edited 6 times in total.
Clint Hopkins

Re: GAVIN HARRISON signature VF sticks video

Postby Clint Hopkins » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks for posting this, Juan.

Gavin, what VF sticks would your stick closely compare to?
Isaac Lee

Re: GAVIN HARRISON - VF signature sticks video

Postby Isaac Lee » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:52 pm

Very interesting. I can totally relate to that feeling of the stick slipping out of my hand until I'm left holding near the butt. Then I have to choke back up to get to my ideal position. I started to really notice this when I began playing much harder and moved to a extreme 5b. I should have never bought a whole brick. I don't care for them at all. They are too long and the balance is very strange, especially for double strokes.

Maybe I'll try a 5b Dip next. I hope that the grip doesn't cause friction and blistering though.
Gavin Harrison

Postby Gavin Harrison » Wed Dec 07, 2011 2:01 am

The sticks are in the same ball park as the Vic Firth "Rock" model - which I've been using for the past few years. I think the balance on these new ones are actually better and possibly the best balance I've ever felt (and I have the guys at VF to thank for that). They are big sticks - and I'm sure they're not for everyone - but I learnt a long time ago that if you need to play loud - it's better to make the stick do the work for you. I can play loud with smaller sticks but they hurt my hands.

When I got my first pair of sticks with the 'Vic Grip' on (just before the last PT tour) I quickly realised that they were going to make the touring process easier. I still get calluses the same as I did in the old days - but I really love the feel and security of the grip.

cheers
Gavin
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:57 am

The Vic Grip is really great, but as I can't stand the odor it lets on my hands, I can't use it for my 5B, shame, I really like the feeling when I hold them. And like says Gavin, it's a priceless feeling to not thinking about holding the stick anymore.

Gavin, how do you feel ? I mean health side, all is well for you now ? Hug mate.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:02 am

I'm going to order some of these today. I've been going between the VF Buddy Rich & Danny Carey for a couple of years. Maybe the new Gavin stick will work for me.

and if there's something wrong with Gavin, take care, hope you feel better soon.
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:46 am

Gavin Harrison wrote:The sticks are in the same ball park as the Vic Firth "Rock" model - which I've been using for the past few years. I think the balance on these new ones are actually better and possibly the best balance I've ever felt (and I have the guys at VF to thank for that). They are big sticks - and I'm sure they're not for everyone - but I learnt a long time ago that if you need to play loud - it's better to make the stick do the work for you. I can play loud with smaller sticks but they hurt my hands.

When I got my first pair of sticks with the 'Vic Grip' on (just before the last PT tour) I quickly realised that they were going to make the touring process easier. I still get calluses the same as I did in the old days - but I really love the feel and security of the grip.

cheers
Gavin

Thanks for taking the time to respond in detail. I'll pick up a couple pairs of your sticks to try. I'm very interested having heard all that went into them and how much you like them.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 am

That's a very cool design, I'm going to have my guy make a few pairs with that shoulder/tip concept. Great playing in that clip.

I used to use VF exclusively, it's just become unfortunate the way they have raised the prices in the last few years. It's pretty hard to justify recommending students sticks that are well over $10/pair. Signature sticks being more as well.
It's even worse for players like myself who play out enough to go through a decent amount of sticks but not enough to qualify for discount level endorsement.

Would it be possible for a signature stick artist to make that part of the deal? Have their product be fiscally approachable for students, young players, etc...? Instead of being $13/pair...
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:25 am

Gotta admit I haven't looked at prices for other sticks much since I've only played the VF 5B for years, but I find that for $7. As for signature models, I know Weckl's sticks are $7-$9 depending on where you pick them up.

Are there others that are higher? $13 seems ludicrous. Heck, $7 seems silly but the market is the market.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:07 pm

Lucas Ives wrote:Gotta admit I haven't looked at prices for other sticks much since I've only played the VF 5B for years, but I find that for $7. As for signature models, I know Weckl's sticks are $7-$9 depending on where you pick them up.

Are there others that are higher? $13 seems ludicrous. Heck, $7 seems silly but the market is the market.

Yeah, $13.00 is downright unacceptable. I use VFs as well. I usually take an internet ad in to GC and they'll honor the price. Even still, their prices are around $7.50-$9.99 for signature models.

Return to “Drumming Chat”