Grp Super Live In Japan 87

Postby french toast » Fri Dec 16, 2011 4:52 am

I found it today...
Long vid...I think it's great...
Vinnie and Weckl... 8-)

langmick

Re: Grp Super Live In Japan 87

Postby langmick » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:41 am

This tape was the first thing I heard of the non-Zappa Vinnie, I think...

His playing totally threw me, the long melodic cymbal/tom patterns with the little clusters of notes played over the bar line, but in time, which are also like stuff he did on Tinseltown Rebellion (elsewhere, I'm sure, that was the place I heard it)...I still totally love those out fills.

That's what I love most about Vinnie's playing. Those fills are so fucking bizarre...
Frank Sanchez

Postby Frank Sanchez » Fri Dec 16, 2011 2:40 pm

Thank you for posting this. It's funny to see how the CCEB had these little moves back in that day on stage, I would suppose, in an effort to engage the audience. Some of that was much more ridiculous in other places, but, I'm glad that they don't do that anymore.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:00 pm

I have this whole thing on vhs
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Fri Dec 16, 2011 7:44 pm

Frank Sanchez wrote:Thank you for posting this. It's funny to see how the CCEB had these little moves back in that day on stage, I would suppose, in an effort to engage the audience. Some of that was much more ridiculous in other places, but, I'm glad that they don't do that anymore.

I wish I could find the old interview, but Scott Henderson talks about the whole CCEB era and how much he hated, how he didn't get along with Chick because Chick thought he was too worldly, and how commercial Chick was about the music. Henderson didn't see it as a fusion gig, and I guess Chick tried his best to make it a cleaner rock-and-roll. Complete with regrettable fashion statements and corny stage dancing.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Fri Dec 16, 2011 8:31 pm

I've got the VHS and double CD set. I really enjoy the Diane Schuur stuff.
D.
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:20 am

oh snaps, forgot I had the cd too.
Yussuf

Postby Yussuf » Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:28 am

Gaddabout wrote:
Frank Sanchez wrote:Thank you for posting this. It's funny to see how the CCEB had these little moves back in that day on stage, I would suppose, in an effort to engage the audience. Some of that was much more ridiculous in other places, but, I'm glad that they don't do that anymore.

I wish I could find the old interview, but Scott Henderson talks about the whole CCEB era and how much he hated, how he didn't get along with Chick because Chick thought he was too worldly, and how commercial Chick was about the music. Henderson didn't see it as a fusion gig, and I guess Chick tried his best to make it a cleaner rock-and-roll. Complete with regrettable fashion statements and corny stage dancing.

You can find some of those rants from Scott's forum, check it out, pure entertainment at it's best. Respect to Scott!
Ardent15

Postby Ardent15 » Sun Dec 18, 2011 11:57 am

Yussuf wrote:
Gaddabout wrote:

You can find some of those rants from Scott's forum, check it out, pure entertainment at it's best. Respect to Scott!

Yeah, Scott's quite a character. His playing was more Holdsworth-like back in the CCEB days, as opposed to the Jeff Beck/aggressive blues rock style he's into these days. Can't say I have much of a preference, either way. He's a monster in whatever style he does!
french toast

Postby french toast » Thu May 31, 2012 5:55 am

Laser disc version

Return to “Drumming Chat”