When a gig is done- moving on

willyz

When a gig is done- moving on

Postby willyz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 8:56 am

For the first time in my career, after a year and a half of playing with this particular group- the gig is done. This is different because I've been fired from a gig for stupid reasons, I've quit gigs due to scheduling conflicts, conflict in personality, etc. This stuff happens, it's part of the business and part of life. I've never been in a situation where the band just simply disbanded.

Little bit of backround... I started out a year and half ago as a hired gun for this band. For whatever reasons drums always came last in their lineup. I actually got a long with these guys really well, dug the music and we became pretty good friends along the way too. It was an interesting mix of a "professional" working situation as well as an "artistic outlet" sort of thing do... a majorty of the gigs were contracted, were out of town, private events, fundraisers, weddings, etc, and then all the gigs we played in town were at the more "prestigous" (for lack of better term) live-music venues in Austin such as Momo's or Stubb's (I played some of my "goal" venues with this group). I was as emotionaly involved in the band as I was involved with the business side of things.

Long story short, the main songwriter/lead singer decided our sax/rhythm guitar player wasn't quite up to par with the rest of us and thought that he needed to go in order for the band to grow... which is a choice I agree with. His chops needed some work and we needed a player with a bit more control over pitch and a stronger ability to improvise in solo sections. I love the guy to death (he's the singers roomate since college, no less) but it was the right move. Turns out he was thinking about moving off with his girl and going to grad school.

When our lead guitarist heard the news... he decided he'd step down too and thus- the band is done. The catch is that we were planning on going into the studio next year, with a pretty big producer in town. Lead singer/main songwriter guy will be going into the studio with this big producer with new songs (a few of which we actually wrote and arranged together as a band) and it's unkown if the rest of us will even be involved.

Oh, and he's locked down JJ Johnson to record drums. I can't compete with that, and I don't even know if I'll be asked to do live work with the "new project"... I understand that it's not personal, and it's also not even about my playing. In fact, I'd RATHER it be about my playing or that we really don't get a long or something. It's strange that after a year and a halfs worth of work and gigs, I'm kind of back to square one. Granted, I've still been networking the whole time, and I've already gotten a call for something unrelated in March- but it's just kind of funny/interesting/whatever that even at any level of the music business, sometimes you find yourself back to "square one" so to speak, and have to resort back to putting your name out there, making it known that you're availiable for work, and waiting for the phone to ring or an email.

It's an interesting transition point for me, to say the least, and I have to just stay confident, keep shedding and networking, and try not to dwell too much on the situation and try not to get too much in my head about the whole thing.

Bands are like women- they come and go until the right thing comes along. :mrgreen:

Thoughts? Comments? Advice? I'm sure this is a situation a lot of us have been in.
Got Blushda?
Clint Hopkins

Re: When a gig is done- moving on

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:21 am

Willy,
If you're committed to sticking it out with this singer/songwriter, respectfully ask if you can hang during the sessions with JJ. Talk about a learning experience. Aronoff did the same thing with Mellencamp and look where it got him.
willyz

Postby willyz » Mon Dec 19, 2011 9:28 am

Oh yeah- I'll be at the sessions to hang with JJ and watch him play... already got that okay'd!
Got Blushda?
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Dec 19, 2011 11:47 am

I just left a project too, and it was hard cause the keyboard player was a dear friend of mine...
As you said, don´t take it personally and move on... Be close to the guy getting the deal and hopefully he´ll think of you for touring...

btw, post some clips of the man...
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Mon Dec 19, 2011 12:57 pm

Good post Willy. No matter what happens, the experience gained is really what it's about, and will elevate confidence for the next gig.
I played in a couple commited rock things a while ago. At one point we had Greg Ladanyi recording and mixing us. He had his own "production company" and was trying to get a piece of everything and anything we would make money on in the future so we ended up not signing with him. Who knows what would have happened if we did. Recording with him sure was fun though. He mic'd my BD in Jackson Brown's studio and pumped the signal through PA speakers, then mic'd the speakers.
Two songs from that demo collecting dust in my bio page:

http://www.houseofdrumming.com/mp3s/so_ ... y_goes.mp3
http://www.houseofdrumming.com/mp3s/GetOverMyself.mp3

Anyways we played together for a few years at a lot of LA clubs. Then we hung it up. Great experience.

Anyways (sorry to turn reply into a "Hai look at me guys" type thing) - I always thought it was super cool that you're moving around and drumming in different cities Willy. You've come a long way man, congrats and continued success. :mrgreen: :P :)
Tombo 7/4

Postby Tombo 7/4 » Mon Dec 19, 2011 4:55 pm

Willy you never know what can happen.
I had been in a very busy band for 2 years playing a mix of covers and compositions. There was a plan to record an album. The leader/composer kept adding new members to the band; we started as 5-piece and ended up as a 10-piece. It was fun but the pay suffered and the places that could hire a 10-piece band became scarce. So a subset of the band started freelancing in the down times. In the meanwhile the leader had secured good money for an album. But when he found out we were gigging with others he panicked and fired us accusing of treason. He said that he didn't need us anyway for the album because he had cash to hire studio guys.

A couple months latter he called us back because it didn't work out in the studio. Although he hired good players, the music didn't feel the way we had played it a zillion times. So he asked us to come and record "for free" because: "We're a band". Not anymore buddy, you fired us...spit the cash. I ended up with a very good fare to play the tunes on the record. It was a very good experience: a huge and the best studio in town, a top producer from Montreal and an expanded network that led to other things. I was making more money afterwards as a hired gun for his promo shows and nice venues.
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Mon Dec 19, 2011 6:27 pm

Tombo 7/4 wrote:Willy you never know what can happen.
I had been in a very busy band for 2 years playing a mix of covers and compositions. There was a plan to record an album. The leader/composer kept adding new members to the band; we started as 5-piece and ended up as a 10-piece. It was fun but the pay suffered and the places that could hire a 10-piece band became scarce. So a subset of the band started freelancing in the down times. In the meanwhile the leader had secured good money for an album. But when he found out we were gigging with others he panicked and fired us accusing of treason. He said that he didn't need us anyway for the album because he had cash to hire studio guys.

I hear stories like this all the time and I don't get the reaction of hearing band members taking other gigs. I can only imagine.

"What? You're trying to make a living wage instead of starving yourself for my art? You're fired!"

“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
S.P

Postby S.P » Tue Dec 20, 2011 5:41 am

Willyz, I think it's quite common as humans, when we've put a lot of hard work into something and hoped/wished/wanted it to go some way and it goes another, to feel dissapointed or like we're "back at square one". The truth is though, you were there because you were meant to be there and you are where you are now because that's where your meant to be so try not to dwell too much on what should have or could have been. It sounds like it was a great experience and you got to achieve some of your artistic goals which is awesome and not something most people get to do. All one can do is try and think of the good things that came out of the experience, and keep doing what your doing because it seems like whatever that is, it's working out well man!

It's been really cool having you share with us your journey as a musician and I personally really appreciate that and feel privileged to be able to know what's going on with you and to have you be so candid. Your sharing provides a good "real" look at what the life of a musician is like. Please keep on keepin' us posted!
willyz

Postby willyz » Tue Dec 20, 2011 6:20 am

Thank you for the kind words and encouragement lads. It's crazy to try to define success or what "making it" really means... that being said, I'm still young and still have plenty of time to grow and become a better player (which will be priority during my "off-season"- back to the shed!). And it's been good to reflect on some things because it really shows that I have come a ways since I started this journey 6 years ago...

Cheers!
Got Blushda?
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Tue Dec 20, 2011 11:05 am

Just remember if Steve Jordan is available then JJ doesn't get the gig. There's always going to be someone that's on another level then you. I think it's great you can at least watch the sessions. I'm sure you'll learn a lot. More then if you were actually doing them.

Also, Steve's stuff sounds good.

Return to “Drumming Chat”