Tony Williams Discography

YamahaPlayer

Re: Tony Williams Discography

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:19 am

DSOP wrote:
matthughen wrote:I have a Tony Williams compilation consisting of 40+ solos and performances spanning from 64-94 that I am going to seed on DIME in the very near future.

Why? What gives you the right to do that?

Archiving one of the greatest and most influential drummers body of work so that others may enjoy, experience and learn from for decades, or perhaps longer to come, long after, in all possibility, such recordings may become lost or impossible to find as many are no longer sold or distributed.

Or are you speaking of the intrinsic "right" for matt's actions? In which case the answer would be, the very same "right" that you have to question his actions.

Perhaps you are one of those people who, unfortunately, has fallen prey to the great brainwashing of the public into believing in these things called 'rights', like they are some how special, or exist outside of humanity.
When in fact the "rights" you speak of are entirely arbitrary, they vary from culture to culture, from country to country and from generation to generation. The reality is, you have no "rights", you only have privileges, because in all cultures, countries and instances your "rights" can be stripped from you instantly - making them nothing more then arbitrary privileges dolled out and retracted by the powers at be.

So the truest answer to your question would be - Matt happens by the great collision of factors in life to be in a socio-economic position to own the technology and means to have the PRIVILEGE to compile such a great collection of works by one of the greatest drummers of all time.
And we also fall into that socio-economic status to be able to possible share in the PRIVILEGE of being able to listen to such a great player.

Cause honestly, DSOP, if you want to talk about "rights" I suggest you google Asian-American 1942 and learn about "rights" in this country or better yet, go ask a Native American about his "rights".
Or even better, go live in a 3rd world country and learn about how many "rights", excuse me, privileges you are afforded by being one of the richest 1% of people in the world.

If you have a problem with these kinds of musical archiving, then stay out of the conversation. Nobody forces you to enter into it, to read it, or even come to this site.
Because the fact the matter is, you have no RIGHT to question anyone else's actions. You are no more better and in no position of authority to question what other people do, that is to say - you have no RIGHT to question what Matt does.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:56 am

it would be very cool to hear all of those 40+ solos. i have heard most of his stuff and love it all. let me know when it's up on dime. thanks ahead of time.

don't read a word never mind a letter of dsop's. it's just blah blah blah that goes no where. i cringe when someone says what gives you the right. someday people will get it.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 9:59 am

Oh brother, what a load of crap! Are you serious?

Look, if music or video is no longer being offered for sale, then by all means, share away. And that list of recordings is awesome and valuable too. I actually already went to Amazon and purchased three records that I didn't know Tony played on. Thanks for that. But to suggest that distributing music that you did not create and are not authorized to legally distribute is fucking crazy shit and you either don't care about the harm you are doing to the future of music or you haven't thought about the ramifications.

Drawing analogies between this and the terrible atrocities of humanity is silly to say the least.
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:37 am

DSOP wrote:Look, if music or video is no longer being offered for sale, then by all means, share away...But to suggest that distributing music that you did not create and are not authorized to legally distribute is fucking crazy shit ...

The 155 minute DVD that I am nearly finished with is comprised of material from performances that have never been sold legally and most never sold at all. Are you familiar with DIME seeding policy? If you would like to provide me with examples of the commercially available Tony Williams video that I may be infringing upon, I would like that... cause I'll buy them immediately. But, there is likely none that I do not already own and there is scant little to begin with.

It appears you made some assumptions that turned out to be incorrect. You could have handled your objections in a much more diplomatic way - but hey, this is the internets.
willyz

Postby willyz » Thu Nov 11, 2010 10:41 am

...wait a tick! Are you guys talking about Napster?!

And is DSOP really Lars?!
Got Blushda?
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:05 am

I don't believe that a persons musicianship and ability to learn from the great players should be defined by their economic status.

True "fucking crazy shit" is to look a kid in the eyes and tell him he can't listen to Tony Williams because he's not rich enough. You gotta be a real sick person to be able to do that.

hahaha Lars.. I remember that, look where it got him...
Last edited by YamahaPlayer on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:09 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:look a kid in the eyes and tell him he can't listen to Tony Williams because he's not rich enough. You gotta be a real sick person to be able to do that.

Oh I see. So this is all about being altruistic is it? Rationalize away. Why don't grocery stores give away food to people who can't afford it while we're at it?
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:13 am

DSOP wrote:Oh I see. So this is all about being altruistic is it? Rationalize away. Why don't grocery stores give away food to people who can't afford it while we're at it?

Wow. Really? That's so laughable cause.... They do!!

Are you drunk or high? I can't imagine any functioning adult to not be aware of the numerous welfare systems in place, never heard of Food Stamps I guess...
Last edited by YamahaPlayer on Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:13 am

matthughen wrote:It appears you made some assumptions that turned out to be incorrect. You could have handled your objections in a much more diplomatic way - but hey, this is the internets.

If I was wrong, I apologize. All I asked was what gave you the right. If this stuff is audio or video that was never released, and public domain, then by all means, share away. If the rights belong to Tony's estate, then it's not cool. If it were up to me, there would be a 24/7 cable channel where we could all watch Tony whenever we want, and a radio station dedicated to playing only music with Tony playing drums.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:15 am

YamahaPlayer wrote:
DSOP wrote:Oh I see. So this is all about being altruistic is it? Rationalize away. Why don't grocery stores give away food to people who can't afford it while we're at it?

Wow. Really? That's so laughable cause.... They do!!

Then I suggest you start a free music charity, obtain the rights, and get artists and record labels to donate. Heck, I would even donate.

Return to “Drumming Chat”