Tony Williams Discography

YamahaPlayer

Re: Tony Williams Discography

Postby YamahaPlayer » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:18 am

DSOP wrote:If I was wrong, I apologize. All I asked was what gave you the right.

And again you've never confronted the true issue, what gives YOU the right to question?
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Thu Nov 11, 2010 11:58 am

DSOP wrote:If I was wrong, I apologize. All I asked was what gave you the right.

IMHO, it was a 'loaded' and accusatory question asserting that I DO NOT have the right to do this. That being said, I accept your apology.

Moving on to the topic at hand... I have finalized the Discography section. Thanks for the contributions, y'all. A few more steps to complete and this will be on the DIME - hopefully by the weekend or sooner.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Thu Nov 11, 2010 12:39 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:
DSOP wrote:
matthughen wrote:I have a Tony Williams compilation consisting of 40+ solos and performances spanning from 64-94 that I am going to seed on DIME in the very near future.

Why? What gives you the right to do that?

Archiving one of the greatest and most influential drummers body of work so that others may enjoy, experience and learn from for decades, or perhaps longer to come, long after, in all possibility, such recordings may become lost or impossible to find as many are no longer sold or distributed.

Or are you speaking of the intrinsic "right" for matt's actions? In which case the answer would be, the very same "right" that you have to question his actions.

Perhaps you are one of those people who, unfortunately, has fallen prey to the great brainwashing of the public into believing in these things called 'rights', like they are some how special, or exist outside of humanity.
When in fact the "rights" you speak of are entirely arbitrary, they vary from culture to culture, from country to country and from generation to generation. The reality is, you have no "rights", you only have privileges, because in all cultures, countries and instances your "rights" can be stripped from you instantly - making them nothing more then arbitrary privileges dolled out and retracted by the powers at be.

So the truest answer to your question would be - Matt happens by the great collision of factors in life to be in a socio-economic position to own the technology and means to have the PRIVILEGE to compile such a great collection of works by one of the greatest drummers of all time.
And we also fall into that socio-economic status to be able to possible share in the PRIVILEGE of being able to listen to such a great player.

I think it's been established that these recordings are either live or out of print, so much of this banter is moot.

However, what if they weren't out of print and studio records? Do you also attribute this ideology towards in-print, commercially available music?

Also, a privilege is a right as a peculiar benefit. Prisoners have 'yard' privileges that enables them to go outside of their cell. The benefit is that they get outside of their cell. Driving privileges is a right bestowed on a person that benefits them by enabling them to get from point A to point B more quickly (among other things). Privileges, as they are a right to something that benefits you, can also be taken away.

I think a lot of people forget that when you enter a store to buy something or go online, you have an obligation, which is an opposite of privilege, to pay for the product/service. Weather or not you possess the means to get it for free is irrelevant. No one ever says, " I had the privilege to not pay for this music" because no one bestows that to anyone. A more accurate phrase would be "I didn't feel obligated to pay". I'd argue that privileges can't be self-bestowed. That's just narcissistic.

go try to get 'lap dance' privileges at your local club! :)

In other words, when you self-bestow a privilege to yourself by stealing copyrighted material, it's not
72drum

Postby 72drum » Thu Nov 11, 2010 5:55 pm

Thank you, Matt. I look forward to it. Unfortunately for my bank account, a collection such as this (especially with the discography) typically sends me to the record store to add to my collection. I still love buying music.

Brett
Stone

Postby Stone » Fri Nov 12, 2010 5:16 am

Tombo 7/4: The concert was at the Bottomline (I still have the ticket)

No I was not at the Montreal drumfest. I haven't been for several years. This year they had a great line up of Drummers.

I have seen a few clips of Jost. Yes he sounds great. I am happy to see him doing well. He was very dedicated in school.
YamahaPlayer

Postby YamahaPlayer » Fri Nov 12, 2010 10:32 am

deseipel wrote: I'd argue that privileges can't be self-bestowed. That's just narcissistic.

No it's not. You're argument is easily defeated.

I earn money.
The money affords me the privilege to go sky-diving.
Therefore I have earned the privilege to go sky-diving.

The opposite would of course be:

I did not earn the money.
Now I can not go sky-diving.
I have not earned the privilege to go sky-diving.

Don't get me wrong here, I'm not advocating distributing video games or books or software.

I'm just talking about music, an integral part of our society and I think anyone would argue that it's a requirement for any developing musician. Because music has been such an integral part or ours, and EVERY other society and culture on earth, since the dawn of recorded history.
It stands that music is much more then a product to be sold and collect royalties on, it's a special, undefinable magic part of being human, and that no aspiring musician should be limited in this great magical and very unknown phenomenon called music, just because he's not rich enough to pay for someone else's boat.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:09 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:I'm just talking about music, an integral part of our society and I think anyone would argue that it's a requirement for any developing musician. Because music has been such an integral part or ours, and EVERY other society and culture on earth, since the dawn of recorded history.
It stands that music is much more then a product to be sold and collect royalties on, it's a special, undefinable magic part of being human, and that no aspiring musician should be limited in this great magical and very unknown phenomenon called music, just because he's not rich enough to pay for someone else's boat.

Access to health care is probably an even more important part of society, and yet people are suffering and dying every day because they can't afford to "pay for someone else's boat" as you so eloquently put it.

By the way, what musicians or artists are you referring to when you talk about "someone else's boat"? And why can people afford to own a computer and have access to the internet, yet they can't afford 99 cents to legally download a song or two?
Lucas Ives

Postby Lucas Ives » Fri Nov 12, 2010 12:27 pm

YamahaPlayer wrote:I earn money.
The money affords me the privilege to go sky-diving.
Therefore I have earned the privilege to go sky-diving.

No. You've earned money, potential to pay for a sky diving session. The "privilege to sky dive" -- if we're going to keep using this odd analogy -- is to be conferred by the sky diving company which decides whether what you're offering is sufficient to cover their service, if you're healthy enough for sky diving, etc.

There are people who would claim literature, food, or visual art to be as important to our humanity as you find music to be. Applying your rationale to things I arbitrarily declare "magical," it follows I shouldn't have to compensate anyone for any product as long as I care deeply about its cultural importance.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Fri Nov 12, 2010 1:10 pm

Just remembered that Santana and Tony recorded one song together called "Trane" the album was called ......I cant remember the name off the top of my head....

Oh it's called "Blues for Salvador"..
There is nothing left to say.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Fri Nov 12, 2010 3:27 pm

Patrick Tiglao wrote:Just remembered that Santana and Tony recorded one song together called "Trane" the album was called ......I cant remember the name off the top of my head....

Oh it's called "Blues for Salvador"..

Which reminds me that Tony is on Carlos' "Swing of Delight" album along with Wayne and Herbie. It's not just Tony, Graham Lear is on some tracks and maybe others, too.

Return to “Drumming Chat”