Getting through (u.s.) airport security with gear...

GoAndPractice

Getting through (u.s.) airport security with gear...

Postby GoAndPractice » Thu Dec 29, 2011 5:59 pm

In a week I plan on traveling with just carry-on luggage plus a couple pairs of sticks and some brushes. No cymbals or drums.

Has anyone had any security folks opposed to that?
Isaac Lee

Re: Getting through (u.s.) airport security with gear...

Postby Isaac Lee » Thu Dec 29, 2011 8:01 pm

Went through LAX with my snare stand, 12" pad, full stick bag (with Regal Tip brushes), Speed Cobra Dbl Pedal in a tama hardcase (checked), and a gibralter bass drum practice pad/stand, without any issues to mention. Not relavent, but I would add that I opted out of the body scanner and took the frisking.
piccupstix

Postby piccupstix » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:22 pm

Probably a roll of the dice. I had a pair of sticks confiscated from my backpack one time. Subsequent trips...no problem.
perksworks

Postby perksworks » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:35 pm

In my experience everything tends to go pretty smoothly other than dealing with often irrational flight attendants who tend to make over dramatic claims about how much space there is or isn't in the overhead bins. Just be careful about tools. I often forget that I sometimes store the odd screwdriver or multi-tool in my stickbag and have had to turn over more of them then I'd like to remember.

One quick story that I figured I'd share. Several years ago I was going through security and my cymbal bag got flagged for a closer inspection. The ride cymbal I was using at the time had split rivets in it which can be quite sharp and will cut your fingers if you're not looking out for them. As the security guy was preparing to go digging into the bag I figured the least I could do is let him know to be careful so as to not cut his fingers on the rivets in my ride cymbal. He paused, looked my in the eye and said, "Tony Williams never used rivets why do you think you need them?"

True story.

Travel safe!
Isaac Lee

Postby Isaac Lee » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:38 pm

"Tony Williams never used rivets why do you think you need them?"

Wow... :lol:
GoAndPractice

Postby GoAndPractice » Sat Dec 31, 2011 12:15 am

perksworks wrote: "Tony Williams never used rivets why do you think you need them?"

That wasn't by chance Ralph Peterson was it? I know he used to work at an airport back in the day to make ends meet.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=28Y6MaaCLQo
Otherwise, lots of rivets at 0:42, unless that's some kind of rental because at the Zildjian day clinic he mentions not liking riveted cymbals as well...

As for the TSA stuff, I guess i'm more worried about the brushes... small black rubber tubes full of metal strands probably look suspicious. I guess i'll find out.

I think FedEx or UPS could make a hauling if they opened a small store outside of every security checkpoint. I think a lot of people would appreciate being able to send their misc. tools, pocket knives, etc back home.
Don Worth

Postby Don Worth » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:10 am

TSA twice has tried to take my Gretsch drum key thinking it was drug paraphernalia or a weapon. Flew to Jakarta and had to transfer in Seoul and the guy their goes," OH Drum Key, you drummer, you go on thru. " TSA wants to have me searched and all kinds of nonsence.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sat Dec 31, 2011 9:32 am

Oddly I've had my drum key (on my keys) called out, never more then a "What is that?" "A drum key" "oh *looks at it* ok"

I've carried on snares, stick bags, cymbals and not had an issue post-911.

Safe travels!

Return to “Drumming Chat”