Quick torque Cam

deseipel

Quick torque Cam

Postby deseipel » Thu Dec 29, 2011 9:54 pm

http://www.eccentricsystems.com/eccentr ... ms_002.htm

looks interesting. I wish the video actually showed the side that the cam-in-action is on. I only wonder if the high-torque makes it harder to push down? Ideally, it would have minimal resistance and maximum 'rebound'.

this link shows more detail.

http://www.eccentricsystems.com/eccentr ... ms_005.htm
gretsch-o-rama

Re: Quick torque Cam

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:05 am

Tell you the truth I prefer concentric pedals v. eccentric action.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:19 am

Interesting idea, though I'm skeptical if it makes any noticeable difference in playing. Particularly if you are already using an accelerated cam - the pedals in the video are using linear cams.
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sat Dec 31, 2011 4:04 pm

i hadn't noticed that, good eyes Josiah.
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sat Dec 31, 2011 8:43 pm

I disagree those aren't turbos, those are accelerators.
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sat Dec 31, 2011 11:44 pm

Stop the video at :05 seconds, there is a clear frame of both cams, they are Turbo's for sure.

Non the less, the best thing you can do for your pedals, of any brand, is to replace the utter crap cheap bearings with some quality ones. Night and Day.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Jan 01, 2012 12:22 am

Josiah wrote:Non the less, the best thing you can do for your pedals, of any brand, is to replace the utter crap cheap bearings with some quality ones. Night and Day.

http://www.canopusdrums.com/en/otherpro ... index.html
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Jan 01, 2012 3:16 am

Was talking about the main internal bearings the central shaft operates on. It's rather interesting not a single drum company has put quality bearings in their pedals, but spend who knows how much on aesthetic design changes.

Canopus idea is interesting, but I doubt the spring rocker assembly, when properly lubricated, has that much more rotating friction then a ball bearing. Particularly considering the Canopus design does not deal with the primary rotating point of the spring hook.
Joesmechanic

Postby Joesmechanic » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:15 am

Not sure how much this will help your playing at all. Sure, I guess if you were to take an ancient Ludwig "Ghost pedal" and compare it to todays pedals, the playing feel would be night and day. But it was on those same 20-30 year old pedals designs that guys like Vinnie, Weckl, Buddy or Tony managed to pound out some pretty ridiculous stuff. I think the body can adjust to some pretty interesting road blocks when it comes to playing ability.

With that said, the majority of friction will always be at the largest cross sectional area's of pivot. So that would be where the spring mounts and the area where the beater rotates on. Those cheap sealed bearings usually aren't any better than say a quality AZF sealed bearing when it comes to friction (when they're new). Or course, a worn out bearing will give you a whole host of other problems, sometimes that being of higher friction.

Way back when I was an avid skateboarder, we used to "adjust" and purposely flush out the grease w/WD40 on the better quality AZF german bearings because they were on the "tight" side when they were new. The seal and the grease were the major friction issues. You could tell how much friction the bearing had by seeing how long the wheel would continue to spin after you did what you had to do to get the friction out. A higher quality bearing will last longer because of tighter tolerances and higher quality materials, but...in actuality, the cheaper stuff many times has less friction because the tolerances aren't as tight and the seals aren't of a better quality. Then of course, when you're talking about drum pedals, you have all the other dynamics that go into how a pedal works....i.e., other pivot/friction points and finally....how the geometry design principals work with your kind of drumming.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Wed Jan 04, 2012 10:48 am

Joesmechanic wrote:A higher quality bearing will last longer because of tighter tolerances and higher quality materials, but...[b]in actuality, the cheaper stuff many times has less friction because the tolerances aren't as tight and the seals aren't of a better quality.[b] Then of course, when you're talking about drum pedals, you have all the other dynamics that go into how a pedal works....i.e., other pivot/friction points and finally....how the geometry design principals work with your kind of drumming.

That's bollocks. Show me one piece of information, case study or comparison that supports that claim.

Ceramic bearings are far better then steel. With measurable differences. A given standard in almost every industry where bearings are used, from racing to machining. Even high quality steel bearings are better then cheap ones.

There are SO many sources on bearings that it's just absolutely silly to say cheaper bearings have less rolling resistance then high quality ones.

Another tip is to use dry lubricants on the chain and bearings as pedals get very dirty, very fast and wet oils attract dirt - which is a not so good thing.

By the way your skateboarding analogy doesn't apply do the extremely high impact forces on the bearings being squished repeatedly. AZF is soooo old too.

Return to “Drumming Chat”