VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

amoergosum

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby amoergosum » Mon Aug 29, 2016 10:42 am

bored at work

Postby bored at work » Fri Sep 02, 2016 8:58 am

Does anyone know why Josh Freese is doing all the promo for the new Sting album and not Vinnie?
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:52 am

Who did the session for that album ?

I heard that Freese is like one of Sting very favorite drummer, like his favorite drummer is Freese, not Vinnie, I think I heard Dominic Miller saying it.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Sep 02, 2016 10:24 am

Vinnie on the album, for sure.

I'm only aware of this clip recently with Josh.

That's the new song.

They also played "Next To You" and "All This Time", but it's all from the same morning show.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Fri Sep 02, 2016 2:48 pm

Not sure how many of these might have been posted before.

No drums no life, know drums know life...
baht habit

Postby baht habit » Sat Sep 03, 2016 4:36 am

bored at work wrote:Does anyone know why Josh Freese is doing all the promo for the new Sting album and not Vinnie?

During the 57th & 9th sessions, Josh Freese handled the drumming on the song "I Can't Stop Thinking About You". Being that this song is the first single - and the only new track being revealed for these promo performances - it seems logical for Freese to take part. So far, there has been the two radio gigs for stations KROQ and KCSN, and then they flew overseas to do TV France 2 at the Paris Olympia.

Colaiuta will be the drummer for Sting's 2017 tour.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Sep 04, 2016 4:52 pm

Can´t image how Sting prefers to play with Freese above Vinnie. Not meaning to trash the guy, but he sounds rather generic to me... :|
treeinrock

Postby treeinrock » Sun Sep 04, 2016 7:12 pm

Josh certainly has a full back beat. Stewart Copeland has that albeit with a snare that is tweaked so high it cracks.
I think Josh has punk attitude and rock influence. Stewart has the punk/exotic world- wild man thingy and edge.
Vinnie has all of the above, but perhaps more out of this world go for it, but maybe not as much edgy/punk these days. I think Vinnie really has to hold it back as to not to confuse the band because he could leave them in a second if he wanted.

Vinnie has a creativity like Wayne Shorter. (He could morph a tune differently every night if he was let to go). Wayne Shorter sounded like a different saxophone player every night in the "Live at the Plugged Nickel" - Miles Davis box-set.

I can understand why Sting likes Josh because he is rock solid and has an edge. You probably won't get too many curve balls like Vince or Copeland.
Sting used to turn around and look at Vinnie (upset/baffled/maybe, maybe exited?) when Vinnie played something crazy behind his vocals. I think Sting should let him go a little more like that again. Maybe he does live, but I haven't seen that as of late.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Sep 05, 2016 4:07 am

I doubt Sting would hire Vince if he had any issues wih his playing. He's a big part of the sound. Same goes for the rest of the band.

Sting has always udes hip musicians and jazz cats. Joni did the same. Thr arist has his/her own vision though and is ultimately responisble for the result. It is not a jam session.

I to would prefer Viinnie to go a little further than I both heard him with Sting not too long ago at Norwegian Wood or with Herbie where he really held back. The setting though, festivals and city square gigs as well as what Sting has been doing lately, represents more of a "best of" for the average listener rather than something new an exciting.

Josh is a solid drummer and I'm pretty sure Vinnie is the one who would have recommended him to substitute. He is sort of a neighbourhood kid that Vinnie took under his arm.
fitzpat

Postby fitzpat » Mon Sep 05, 2016 8:39 am

Minor derailment during All this time ?

Return to “Drumming Chat”