VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Nov 16, 2016 1:36 pm

bored at work wrote:Any thoughts on the new Sting album?

I like parts of it.

It's more like a Police album than your typical Sting effort. Really raw and basic production.

Inshallah is my warm-up song this last week. Just put it on and overplay like crazy. :lol: I think it's good exercise playing along to both versions. Very different vibe.
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Thu Nov 17, 2016 1:33 am

thewikiman wrote:Have to say this is the most focused and coherent Sting's band has sounded in ages, to my ears. The Simon and Gabriel collabs were pretty wooly round the edges, as was the stuff before that. There's a tightness and energy to this four-piece he's not had for a while.

Someone schooled in using sequencers, can you explain to me how the backing vocals work? Clearly the BVs are Sting - the Millers are miming along but it's Sting on the audio. So I imagine Vinnie triggers each song, with a click for the monitor and backing vocals for the PA. But Sting still seems to count in some of the songs, how does that work with the sequencer being in the right place? And in Every Breath there's a long false-ending and then it comes back in with the BVs again - how does that work?

I've always wondered about this.

Sting alaways used to use the Synclavier system and if you go back and watch the Ten Sumoners Tales tour videos, you can see that Stings BV are very present in the mix. I guess they us a sequencer to beef up live shows, particularly if they are carrying a small band. Someone, maybe not Vinnie, will start the sequence, there will be some clicks or a sequened percussion part that only the band can hear to count in and some BV's and other musical reinforcment on the track to make sound bigger and brighter.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Nov 17, 2016 5:55 am

My boy, with that gorgeous lady. :-)

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Nov 17, 2016 7:18 pm

That Faith Hill performance is SO GOOD. Never mind the rock solid and great feeling groove - the simple effective fills - but the ENERGY and vibe is perfect for THAT TUNE. You can really tell the song is energizing him and he's almost barely able to contain himself. It's a sight to see really. What he said in that Sting promo interview has kind of stayed with me - "Getting inside the music". You can really tell he does that.

A LOT of AAA guys could do that gig but nowhere near this well.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Thu Nov 17, 2016 8:48 pm

I TOTALLY agree Steve. And that (what you described) is EXACTLY why I LOVE that Shedaisy record. He and I had a long talk about that record once, and he almost couldn't contain his excitement in merely talking about that record.

Some guys get too involved in trying to find a secret entrance into the music, sometimes you gotta just walk right through the front door. Some guys get too wrapped up in trying to redecorate the music. Sometimes the decor is just fine, you just gotta walk right in, take your shoes off, and make yourself comfortable.

Total conviction and presence in the music at hand (being played at this. very. moment.) is a big part of creating a big groove and energy!

For me, it goes back to a taoist proverb that says something like... There is nothing more important than what you are doing RIGHT NOW! (Because if there was, you would-should be doing THAT other thing instead.) I added that last part.

Being present is getting harder and harder for people today, but man when you can get a bunch of good musicians all in the moment, it's electric and palpable!

Thanks for posting that Rodge. I remember seeing a Christmas special that Faith did with Vinnie that was very good too! I've been told that she is wonderful to work with, total pro!

MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Nov 18, 2016 2:15 am

Not the hippest music, but "Free" at 8:40 and "One" at 22:50 are cool.

Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat Nov 19, 2016 10:51 am

Christopher

Postby Christopher » Sat Nov 19, 2016 6:10 pm

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:43 am

Steve Holmes wrote:You can really tell the song is energizing him and he's almost barely able to contain himself. It's a sight to see really.

amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Sun Nov 20, 2016 8:57 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Not the hippest music, but "Free" at 8:40 and "One" at 22:50 are cool.

...listen to 50:26 to 51:39...there are some awesome fills!

Return to “Drumming Chat”