VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

thewikiman

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby thewikiman » Fri Mar 03, 2017 1:34 am

Don't know exactly what this is going to be but I'm very much looking forward to it... Some great pics on the site too.
____
Ned
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Mar 03, 2017 9:45 pm

This weeks huge investment. lol

Seems Vinnie is not with Vic anymore?

What now?

People say there are other sticks, but there really isn't. The Zildjian Riley stick has a similar tip, but it's a completely different gauge.

Wonder why, but yeah it's no secret that the old Zildjian version lasts a lot longer. They would only dent and last for months. The Vics start chipping right away.

Interesting to see what's up with that site. It was adverized on the Late Show, so I guess he's personally involved.
tranguill

Postby tranguill » Sat Mar 04, 2017 5:06 am

Rene

Postby Rene » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:22 pm

I liked the feel of Vinnie's zildjian sig drum sticks, but the the splitted in seconds. Paiste should make drum sticks... ;)
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 12:33 pm

Rene wrote:I liked the feel of Vinnie's zildjian sig drum sticks, but the the splitted in seconds. Paiste should make drum sticks... ;)

That's sort of interesting.

My second pair of Vics actually split, just broke in two on impact on rimshot nr.1 or 2. I keep them for a while, but long strips start chipping off from the get go. I've gotten splinters in my fingers several times from them. Really, I think they're just to dry, or something. The last few have been better. At first I found them too sticky as well. I don't think my perception changed that much or rather I think the sticks changed, not me.

Every pair of Zildjians honestly lasted 4-5 months and the reason I finally threw them in the bin then was tip chipping. Rimshots just made small dents.
Rene

Postby Rene » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:09 pm

It were the tips that splitted.... quite fast....
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 2:38 pm

Well. I guess it's time for the Vinnie Colaiuta Drum Company. Maker of sticks, brushes and chocolatey hi-hat clutches. :D
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:27 pm

Funny you would say that... He actually looked into buying a lathe, and what it would cost to get a steady supply of wood, and make his own sticks. Seriously.

He really tried to work with the people at Vic Firth to get his sticks right, but they wouldn't do it. Apparently, because they use grinding stones instead of blades, making changes requires the purchase of new stones which is very expensive. This meant that they wouldn't (couldn't?) make the changes he wanted. It was very frustrating for him.

There will be a new signature model, but it's still not clear who will be making them. Drum Workshop is looking into it.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat Mar 04, 2017 3:59 pm

Nothing weird about that.

I was looking into making my own when he left Zildjian and making them in all the wood options I have like, oak, rosewood, birch, male, sandalwood. For a while there with a house, garage, good income, set to live there until old age... Then we all know what happened with me.

I would guess the C-man has the dough for the gear, so...

Anyway.

They say Vic makes Zildjian sticks, but I don't really know. Zildjian's seems way more dense. The sticks look the same, but ok maybe it's the weight in general, but the Zs are more front heavy to me. It was strange at first as suddenly with the Wics they were sliding out of my hands. Just weird. Not too happy with the wax, but later batches seem less sticky. Zs cut a bit more and I personally find it easier to play jazzy ride stuff with them. Soft doubles and press rolls are easier, too.

It's maybe a bit weird with sticks and heroes and bla bla bla, but really, though subtle, it's different. Dynamic, versatile, great for Moeller and pretty effortless backbeats.

And then the tip.

So many occasions, even in the orchestra, I try every stick, but then I usually have a pair of them somewhere and there it is, super fat tone but without that enormous contact like some of those long flat tips.

Sort of strange they wouldn't make changes. Peter has 3. They still make both of Dave's sticks, I believe.

Offcourse, I have no idea how popular they are. I see them in stores, but I don't know anyone else who uses them.

What I see in general apart from the typical AC 5A is Peter's Ride stick, Peter's Big Band stick, Jojo's stick for sure(especially with females) SD-2s and SD-4s.

Apart from those other American makers there are e few here in Europe. One of the more popular ones that also has a deal with the main chains is Wincent sticks. Just change W for V and and Bob's your... :D

Given John's wood obsession it's sort strange DW haven't gotten big into sticks. These seem out of production, but that acorn tip is the closest I've seen. http://www.musiciansfriend.com/accessories/dw-3-drumsticks-by-dw-with-acorn-tip
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sun Mar 05, 2017 10:34 am

What did he want to change about his stick?

Return to “Drumming Chat”