VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Julián Fernández

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:13 pm

kinkymook wrote:Even Vinnie probably can’t afford to turn down any work at this point? That’s my guess.

You serious? He obviously plays where he wants to play...
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:44 am

Pure speculation on my part, of course.
To Steve’s point, this was a SCIENTOLOGY gig thru and thru, so he was remarking on that due to the fact Vinnie has been super up front about what he personally believes in.
But there’s no arguing that Vinnie didn’t tour last year, made pennies from streaming, and does far less session work than in days past.
We’ve all got bills to pay, the music business is shrinking, and COVID took a lot of money out of the pockets of players with otherwise lucrative music careers, from Vinnie on down. What musician can be choosy about gigs right now? That’s all I’m saying.
D.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Feb 01, 2021 9:46 am

Absolutely correct kinkymook.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:30 am

Well, Paul knows better... ;-)
Last edited by Rodge on Fri Feb 05, 2021 2:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Mon Feb 01, 2021 3:06 pm

$$$$$$$$$$$
I can't see how Vinnie could need money.
When he got on Sting's band in 1992, Sting offered him $10,000 a gig. (who know how much more he gets from Sting now).
Since then he has played huge arena's with Beck and Herbie.
He commands triple (?) scale for all the recording work he does.

Just don't see how he could be financially hurting. As Rodge says, he doesn't seem to
have any expensive habits or hobbies unless his new wife has a spending problem.
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Mon Feb 01, 2021 4:22 pm

I'm going to guess that you guys don't know what health care costs in the U.S.A. ESPECIALLY when you get close to the age to qualify for Medicare.

Vinnie isn't going to turn down paying work unless the music is not something he wants to play, especially if he's playing with someone like Mark Isham. There was a time when he was so busy that he wouldn't have been able to say "yes" to stuff like this.

I was hoping that he would use the pandemic as an opportunity to work on, and record, his own music.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Mon Feb 01, 2021 5:38 pm

I’m gonna go back to, “I thought Vinnie’s coloring with Islam was sublime”, and leave it at that.
Debating what he made years ago vs. now is all speculation on ANY of our parts, AND I SUSPECT, if Vinnie read this, he’d be just as pleased as seeing one of us video him at a gig.
I’m out.
D.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 02, 2021 2:27 am

It's exactly what I thought Paul thanks, the price of the health care is SO RIDICULOUSLY HEAVY in the USA, there you go...
Also I think that he was taking care of his beloved mother, for sure a lot of money (well) spend here too for a very good reason.

Vinnie said in some interview that he should use this moment for writing, but, I guess he doesn't want to produce any music for this crazy ass music business where the #1 is Cardi-B or something like that, can't blame my guy even if I'd love him to give us another album.

Paul Marangoni wrote:I'm going to guess that you guys don't know what health care costs in the U.S.A. ESPECIALLY when you get close to the age to qualify for Medicare.

Vinnie isn't going to turn down paying work unless the music is not something he wants to play, especially if he's playing with someone like Mark Isham. There was a time when he was so busy that he wouldn't have been able to say "yes" to stuff like this.

I was hoping that he would use the pandemic as an opportunity to work on, and record, his own music.
Last edited by Rodge on Tue Feb 02, 2021 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Tue Feb 02, 2021 10:25 am

jean krupa wrote:$$$$$$$$$$$
I can't see how Vinnie could need money.
When he got on Sting's band in 1992, Sting offered him $10,000 a gig. (who know how much more he gets from Sting now).
Since then he has played huge arena's with Beck and Herbie.
He commands triple (?) scale for all the recording work he does.

Just don't see how he could be financially hurting. As Rodge says, he doesn't seem to
have any expensive habits or hobbies unless his new wife has a spending problem.

$10,000 a gig? No, $10,000 a week! and this was more than 20 years ago. That money doesn't last forever and he's had a divorce in that time too!
Last edited by bored at work on Thu Feb 04, 2021 1:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Feb 03, 2021 2:58 am

If I didn't play in church when I actually was gigging there wouldn't be much more than club gigs left.

Doing your art is fine, but if you want to make a living it pays to be flexible and able to just do a job and still have the attitude to do it well.

Return to “Drumming Chat”