VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Terry Branam

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Terry Branam » Wed May 26, 2021 1:50 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:And now...

@ 4:05

Vinnie: "Can I get some more kick in the monitor?"

Proceeds to play dotted quarters on the ride bell over the 11/8. :o
Check out my app PERFECT RHYTHM on the App store!
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Wed May 26, 2021 10:58 pm

Yeah that specifically always kills me.
Sam

Postby Sam » Thu May 27, 2021 10:02 am

Terry Branam wrote:
Steve Holmes wrote:
Proceeds to play dotted quarters on the ride bell over the 11/8. :o

That is fucking unreal.

Just absurd
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri May 28, 2021 12:11 pm

My boy, way too classy, what a finesse !!!

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Tom Reschke

Postby Tom Reschke » Fri May 28, 2021 4:56 pm

Rodge wrote:My boy, way too classy, what a finesse !!!

Out of all the records he's on this is definitely top 5 for me (might even be number 1). Ten Summoner's Tales is a fucking clinic on how to play for the song behind an iconic singer/songwriter and still play some of the tastiest, nastiest shit on record. There's soooooooo much genius little shit that the average person wouldn't ever notice because the groove is so taken care of. It's a pretty ridiculous pop drumming performance. I mean... he's the man.
Moderation's all well and good, just don't overdo it.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Sat May 29, 2021 12:47 am

Vinnie does it all while still sounding like himself. That's where it's at IMO and then you can just take your pick in regards to who you like.

It obviously has a lot to do with the material and the other musicians and there's been a lot of right choices/chances for him.

I like most of it, but certainly lean towards the more open live jazz and fusion stuff.
Morgenthaler

Postby Morgenthaler » Sat May 29, 2021 7:58 am

Tom Reschke wrote:

Out of all the records he's on this is definitely top 5 for me (might even be number 1). Ten Summoner's Tales is a fucking clinic on how to play for the song behind an iconic singer/songwriter and still play some of the tastiest, nastiest shit on record. There's soooooooo much genius little shit that the average person wouldn't ever notice because the groove is so taken care of. It's a pretty ridiculous pop drumming performance. I mean... he's the man.

Right there with you guys. The first time I heard 'Love Is Stronger Than Justice' I was floored. Seven Days was never my favorite, but LISTJ just killed me. Still does. That whole album is a drum clinic for all the reasons you mention, Tom. It is such a master piece from that perspective. (and many others)
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Mon May 31, 2021 5:48 am

Morgenthaler wrote:
Tom Reschke wrote:

Right there with you guys. The first time I heard 'Love Is Stronger Than Justice' I was floored. Seven Days was never my favorite, but LISTJ just killed me. Still does. That whole album is a drum clinic for all the reasons you mention, Tom. It is such a master piece from that perspective. (and many others)

LISTJ had a similar effect on me. It was the first song I ever learned to play that wasn’t in 3, 4, or 6, and I remember it being easier than I’d thought. It was brilliant and it made so much perfect sense all at once. Like that was the only way a drummer could play that song.

Come to think of it, a lot of Vinnie’s stuff is like that for me. If I’m on a gig where Take Me to the River is on the set list, I end up doing all his crafty subtle little shit from that Commitments record. You just can’t unhear it. It immediately embeds in your psyche.

TST however is one of the best records ever made, much of it thanks to Vinnie’s genius, but also to the songwriting. It was (IMO) Sting’s apex.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon May 31, 2021 7:58 am

TST doesn't necessarily represented too much these days, though it was my chosen car CD a few weeks ago, but it was my first introduction to odd meters and I remember very well the the school band summer trip when we blasted it over the bus stereo all day.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Mon May 31, 2021 10:15 am

The consistency of ALL THE SONGS in that album, it's not just 3/4 great songs, there is 12 songs on TST, 12 gems for me, awesome !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”