VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

bored at work

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby bored at work » Mon Sep 05, 2016 11:40 am

Rodge wrote:Who did the session for that album ?

I heard that Freese is like one of Sting very favorite drummer, like his favorite drummer is Freese, not Vinnie, I think I heard Dominic Miller saying it.

You would think that if Sting loved Josh that much he would use him more!
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Sep 07, 2016 2:02 am

Another one... Cool!

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 3:11 am

bored at work wrote:

I heard that Freese is like one of Sting very favorite drummer, like his favorite drummer is Freese, not Vinnie, I think I heard Dominic Miller saying it.

I don't know mate, being a favorite is something, having just everything in the bag is another.
Josh is a good drummer, nothing special, but he's a real pro, saying that he can't touch Vinnie, no even in dreams so, for a clever guy like Gordon, the choice is obvious I'd say.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bored at work

Postby bored at work » Thu Sep 08, 2016 9:43 am

Rodge wrote:
bored at work wrote:

I don't know mate, being a favorite is something, having just everything in the bag is another.
Josh is a good drummer, nothing special, but he's a real pro, saying that he can't touch Vinnie, no even in dreams so, for a clever guy like Gordon, the choice is obvious I'd say.

I agree!
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Sep 08, 2016 11:25 am

I don't know, I'd say he's pretty special considering his gigs!
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Thu Sep 08, 2016 12:36 pm

I know plenty of guys who get great gig, I consider them good, but, being a consummate professionnal is something above a "normal" drumming ?

I don't know.

Well, I know that I have my own taste, if Sting hires you, I'm a huge fan of him, but it's not because Sting likes you, that I have to.
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Fri Sep 09, 2016 2:51 am

I understand what you are saying. I sometimes forget this is a drummer centric forum, and so personal favorites and comparing guys is inevitable.

I should have written that I'd prefer to hear Sting with VC, too, but I also think not very many non-drummers would have a bad listening experience if Freese performs the songs.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Sep 09, 2016 4:50 am

Yeah mate, in fact I think that 98% of Sting audience doesn't know/care about the drummer, so, whatever it's Freese, Carlock, VC, as much as they hear "Roxanne" with that famous voice, it's a win.

I think that maybe Manu had more "charisma" and would be more noticed, french side... ;-)

Omar Hakim too back in the days ?
He was singing too...
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Sep 09, 2016 5:07 am

I think Sting is a bit of an exception, at least in my country.

He's not a current "pop" start. He's someone that survived. An old, mature and established artist. He's the pop artist who's show the real musos will go to and they certaily know the band. Anyone studying music in any way around when Ten Summoners Tales" came out knows Vinnie. Odd time songs being that popular was something new for most and in sold Vinnie to tons of drummers that didn't know who he was before.
Avi_drums

Postby Avi_drums » Sun Sep 11, 2016 6:56 pm

Rodge wrote:
bored at work wrote:

Not to detract from Vinnie's thread, but I saw Josh with his band Xtra Large in the early 90's at Harpos in Victoria BC. He had a unique, fantastic groove/musicality not necessarily apparent in these horrible youtube recordings.

We hung out with Josh for a couple of hours after the gig at the accommodation Harpos provided for touring bands. He spoke highly of the GRP records that Vinnie was on, and how he was going out on European clinic tours. He couldn't have been cooler and more down to earth.

Return to “Drumming Chat”