VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Julián Fernández

Re: VINNIE - Vintage videos

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:45 pm

Rodge wrote:It could have been a great footage, but seeing Vinnie doing thing that you don't hear while watching he video, it's really a shame.

What´s the deal with that video? Don´t tell me is just some fancy sync lip versions of the album...
electrizer

Postby electrizer » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:08 pm

matthughen wrote:Afgter some googling and internetting I have come to the floowing conclusions:
I believe this to be 1993 as that was the time when Gary Thomas was on sax. I believe that be G. Thomas in the video. I also, like Efthimios, believe this to be from Polish TV. So if we have any Polish HOD family out there - start looking!

HERE!

What about this? You have almost all the info here Matt ->

To complement the missing info, the venue is Sala Kongresowa (The Congress Hall) in Warsaw, between 21 and 24 October.

Source (Google-translated): http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=pl&sl=pl&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Farchiwum.rp.pl%2Fartykul%2F7543_Jazz_Jamboree.html
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:39 am

Odd-Arne Oseberg wrote:Seems Herbie Hancock and Marcus Miller share a taste for crappy guitar players. Go figured?
It's not that he is a crappy guitarist. He really did not have anything to say at that point in time. It's just that I expected a bonfire solo, and I got a wet pack of matches. :lol:
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Sep 27, 2012 4:43 am

I thought that it's just somebody who re-uploaded the Chaka Khan (behind the scens) video clip again but then I
read the YouTube description:

HERE IS ONE THE HIGHLIGHT MOMENTS OF MY CAREER AS A JAZZ TV PRODUCER.
IN 1999, I WAS PART OF THE BEHIND THE SCENES OF BET JAZZ CHANNEL PRESENTS, FOR CHAKA KHAN DVD PRODUCTION. AS WELL FOR THE JAZZ CHANNEL PRESENTS DVD CONCERT SERIES.

DURING THE SOUNDCHECK OF THIS EVENT, JUST A COUPLE OF HOURS BEFORE THE SHOW TIME , I HAD THE PRIVILEGE AND THE UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO ENJOY A QUALITY MOMENT WITH CHAKA'S BAND MEMBERS: VINNIE COLAIUTA, MELVIN LEE DAVIS, AND ANDY WEINER

I ASKED TO MY FRIEND DRUMMER VINNIE COLAIUTA TO PLAY SOME DRUM-LINES FOR MY CAMERA AND HE VERY PLEASE ACCEPTED TO DO IT FOR ME AND MY SHOW AQUI Y AJAZZ. AN EFFOR FOLLOWED BY HIS FELLAS BASSIST MELVIN LEE DAVIS AND PIANIST ANDY WEINER.

I AM 100% SURE THAT YOU EVENT NOT BEEN A DRUMMER OR BASS PLAYER, WILL ENJOY THIS UNIQUE AND RARE VIDEO AS THEY HUMBLY AND SPONTANEOUS PLAY JUST FOR MY CAMERA...

HERE AND AJAZZ, Vinnie Colaiuta, MELVIN LEE DAVIS, ANDY AND WEINER

So I guess if you have any questions or if you want to leave a comment you can do it here >>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmpH_hMxMk
Old Pit Guy

Postby Old Pit Guy » Thu Sep 27, 2012 1:36 pm

amoergosum wrote:I thought that it's just somebody who re-uploaded the Chaka Khan (behind the scens) video clip again but then I
read the YouTube description:

HERE IS ONE THE HIGHLIGHT MOMENTS OF MY CAREER AS A JAZZ TV PRODUCER.
IN 1999, I WAS PART OF THE BEHIND THE SCENES OF BET JAZZ CHANNEL PRESENTS, FOR CHAKA KHAN DVD PRODUCTION. AS WELL FOR THE JAZZ CHANNEL PRESENTS DVD CONCERT SERIES.

DURING THE SOUNDCHECK OF THIS EVENT, JUST A COUPLE OF HOURS BEFORE THE SHOW TIME , I HAD THE PRIVILEGE AND THE UNIQUE OPPORTUNITY TO ENJOY A QUALITY MOMENT WITH CHAKA'S BAND MEMBERS: VINNIE COLAIUTA, MELVIN LEE DAVIS, AND ANDY WEINER

I ASKED TO MY FRIEND DRUMMER VINNIE COLAIUTA TO PLAY SOME DRUM-LINES FOR MY CAMERA AND HE VERY PLEASE ACCEPTED TO DO IT FOR ME AND MY SHOW AQUI Y AJAZZ. AN EFFOR FOLLOWED BY HIS FELLAS BASSIST MELVIN LEE DAVIS AND PIANIST ANDY WEINER.

I AM 100% SURE THAT YOU EVENT NOT BEEN A DRUMMER OR BASS PLAYER, WILL ENJOY THIS UNIQUE AND RARE VIDEO AS THEY HUMBLY AND SPONTANEOUS PLAY JUST FOR MY CAMERA...

HERE AND AJAZZ, Vinnie Colaiuta, MELVIN LEE DAVIS, ANDY AND WEINER

So I guess if you have any questions or if you want to leave a comment you can do it here >>>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hLmpH_hMxMk

Shame. Guy must've hit the text limit before the Nigerian address.
Pocketplayer

Postby Pocketplayer » Wed Oct 03, 2012 12:37 am

For a guy who hates being filmed...well, there is a lot of him on film!
Surprised he hasn't had his posse shut this thread down.

The toms on the Chaka gig sounded HORRIBLE

The JR clips are vintage VC ala BR II days of radical abandonment.
That was an era we will not see again...clearly the best TV band ever.
They let the tiger out of the cage on that gig.

Ten Summoner's Tales 1993 / Full Version is simply amazing footage.
Sting = Star...talent personified. I could watch an hour of that rainstorm clip.
Jeff Porcaro Groove Master
http://jeffporcaro.blogspot.com
LinearDrumma

Postby LinearDrumma » Fri Oct 05, 2012 6:15 pm

matthughen wrote:
amoergosum wrote:

Nice fast find, amoergosum. That Chaka Khan rehearsal wont stay on youtube forever. Grab it now while you still can, folks!

Without a doubt some very inspirational footage....so cool seeing a master drummer relaxed and just having fun!

But why all the drama showing this footage? I don't get it!
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:08 pm

LinearDrumma wrote:But why all the drama showing this footage? I don't get it!

Because Vinnie usually has it taken down pretty quickly. We love it; he hates it....
deseipel

Postby deseipel » Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:45 pm

it's a control thing. Which is totally fine. To a degree. Try to imagine a ton of stuff that you've performed being uploaded to the Internet and people commenting on it and dissecting it. There's a threshold of tolerance that anyone would have for that sort of thing (regardless of the artistic value or merit) and beyond that threshold is what you have with 'the digital age'. Everything is uploaded, nothing lives in our memories. There are things on youtube that used to only exist in trading circles. Now that the rarity is gone and ubiquity is king, a little bit of the magic is gone. What's the impact? What's the big deal? I would hypothesize that the impact is this: the constant and consistent flood of videos like this will end up causing a decline in the innovation in the art form. I'd be interested to see what the impact of recorded music, as a technology, in the early 20th century, on the innovation of drumming. So, the question might be, 'does the availability of something have a negative impact on the originality of an emerging artist?' and 'would that artist have gone in another direction, having not had access to such technology?'

I'm probably thinking way too much about it, but ....
gretsch-o-rama

Postby gretsch-o-rama » Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:02 pm

This.is.the.central.scrutinizer. I think it ridiculous when people try to psycho-analyze Vinnie. Or any celebrity for that matter not having a clue what they might be like in real life. Are you a psychiatrist desiepel? Cause Ive got this pet peeve. it's called passive aggressive....
"Ding ding da ding." Apollo teaching Rocky how to Jazz.

Return to “Drumming Chat”