VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

matthughen

Re: VINNIE - Vintage videos

Postby matthughen » Fri Aug 03, 2012 6:25 am

amoergosum wrote:

Nice fast find, amoergosum. That Chaka Khan rehearsal wont stay on youtube forever. Grab it now while you still can, folks!

PS- If you notice the "vinnie colaiuta" signature at the bottom right of the Chaka Khan rehearsal video - that means it came from my Vinnie Solos DVD :geek:
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Sat Aug 04, 2012 8:49 pm

Sorry for the double post, but this belongs in this thread. This was provided to me by drumpal and I put it on Vimeo. If you have any info about the channel, date, venue etc., chime in! I had never seen this before. It is beautiful insanity:

matthughen

Postby matthughen » Sun Aug 05, 2012 11:55 am

Afgter some googling and internetting I have come to the floowing conclusions:
I believe this to be 1993 as that was the time when Gary Thomas was on sax. I believe that be G. Thomas in the video. I also, like Efthimios, believe this to be from Polish TV. So if we have any Polish HOD family out there - start looking!

Funny related anecdote:
http://www.united-mutations.com/c/vinnie_colaiuta.htm
"i attended a concert in -93 in oslo, norway, with "john pattitucci electric band." the band also featured g.thomas on the sax, and john beasley on the piano/keyboards. the concert almost developed into a complete disaster, much because of the lousy sound. the technicians actually went on the stage in the middle of the first set to re-position the drum-mikes. the only sound from mr. vc`s drums we could hear, was coming directly from the stage. the guys onstage got more and more upset abot monitors not working, and so on, and it all culminated in an unreal vent! mr. g.thomas, threw away his soprano right after a solo, and left the stage in the middle of a song! he marched directly towards the sound engineer and lifted his out of his chair! the saxist was furious, and he shook the poor engineer so hard that he left the spot, and did not return.
after that episode (naturally everyone in the audience were more or less shaky..)things got better,until vc's double-pedal broke. he was so upset that he started smoking in the middle of a standard, and yelled to the assistant sound-engineer still left at the mixer. then the band took a break while things got fixed, and jp played a beautiful piece on his acoustic bass "bertha." when the band entered the stage after this it was a ne band! vc played his guts out, and surprised the rest of the band with a couple of out-of-this-world-solos. it was enormous! you could see that the man was throwing some temper off! "
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Tue Aug 21, 2012 4:56 am

Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Aug 21, 2012 12:47 pm

It could have been a great footage, but seeing Vinnie doing thing that you don't hear while watching he video, it's really a shame.
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Rene

Postby Rene » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:23 am

Mayden Voyage is to me one of the more intriguing pieces by Herbie Hancock. Especially the version with Tony, the interaction is mind blowing. So I was curious how Vinnie would interprete this song. He performed this song at the AVO session. I believe it was the same session were Vinnie held plea why not to make any recordings by the audience.

This one was published this August and is still up:

Interesting phrasing at best around minutes 6 to 8 until until the deadly guitar solo starts, not even close to Williams, Hubbard, Hancock, henderson, carter.

"Pic of the day" .....

groober

Postby groober » Wed Sep 26, 2012 11:46 am

That's hilarious ! Wish I had the gall to ask Vinnie for a go on his drums, especially with mallets and that hand technique.

Nice set up though ... what's that a 20" bass drum ?
renardvert

Postby renardvert » Wed Sep 26, 2012 7:15 pm

Very cool pic!!!
Jim Richman

Postby Jim Richman » Wed Sep 26, 2012 9:34 pm

Rene wrote:Mayden Voyage is to me one of the more intriguing pieces by Herbie Hancock. Especially the version with Tony, the interaction is mind blowing. So I was curious how Vinnie would interprete this song. He performed this song at the AVO session. I believe it was the same session were Vinnie held plea why not to make any recordings by the audience.

This one was published this August and is still up:

Interesting phrasing at best around minutes 6 to 8 until until the deadly guitar solo starts, not even close to Williams, Hubbard, Hancock, henderson, carter.

Deadly guitar solo. More like the zombie guitar solo of death. It was a classic buzz killer and turned the song into a salvage mission.
Keith Mansfield rules!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Wed Sep 26, 2012 10:39 pm

Seems Herbie Hancock and Marcus Miller share a taste for crappy guitar players. Go figured?

Return to “Drumming Chat”