VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Julián Fernández

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Feb 05, 2020 6:00 am

Vinnie walks alone

bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Wed Feb 05, 2020 11:29 am

Juan Expósito wrote:Hi folks, what questions would you do to Vinnie?
Shoot!

With most of the drumming heavies, my curiosity nowadays really lies in how they are interpreting music... what they listen for and their overall concept.

Vinnie, perhaps more than most other drummers, is in a wide array of musical situations often, and outside of touring, those situations are very often "get in and get out" studio environments where there isn't a ton of time spent rehearsing. How does he get inside the music so fluently in time-constrained situations like the studio? Vinnie is well known for single takes and little to no need for punch-ins, so he's obviously developed his ears and musical instincts to a level not many get to. Is this something he deliberately developed, or is it just simply "experience" culminated in those kind of environments? If so, how did he go about developing it? What does he listen to in a demo or scratch track, or look for in a chart, to inform his choices behind the drums? With his facility, he can almost literally play anything he wants... that means there's a thought process involved. That's what I'd like to hear his insight on. It's been touched on before I think, but the conversation quickly moves to Zappa stories, what's Sting really like, why do you like Gretsch, etc.

Also, with regard to the craft, does he practice? A guy that travels as much as he does and plays in so many situations can't have a lot of time for it. At the same time, the level of facility he has surely must require some sort of maintenance, right? Or is it just "there" when he needs to call on it?
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Feb 05, 2020 4:30 pm

Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Feb 06, 2020 8:38 am

bensdrums wrote:
Also, with regard to the craft, does he practice? A guy that travels as much as he does and plays in so many situations can't have a lot of time for it. At the same time, the level of facility he has surely must require some sort of maintenance, right? Or is it just "there" when he needs to call on it?

He practices regularly. Probably more than anyone on this forum.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:03 am

He says everything about it on the interview with Dom, that interview is REALLY a great one.
Vinnie, who's REALLY VERY HUMBLE says at one moment, "and back in the days I was a REALLY GOOD READER, I mean, I was known for that..."
This sentence did SCARING me no joke, because, hey, he's STILL a PHENOMENAL reader right... ;)

bensdrums wrote:
Juan Expósito wrote:Hi folks, what questions would you do to Vinnie?
Shoot!

With most of the drumming heavies, my curiosity nowadays really lies in how they are interpreting music... what they listen for and their overall concept.

Vinnie, perhaps more than most other drummers, is in a wide array of musical situations often, and outside of touring, those situations are very often "get in and get out" studio environments where there isn't a ton of time spent rehearsing. How does he get inside the music so fluently in time-constrained situations like the studio? Vinnie is well known for single takes and little to no need for punch-ins, so he's obviously developed his ears and musical instincts to a level not many get to. Is this something he deliberately developed, or is it just simply "experience" culminated in those kind of environments? If so, how did he go about developing it? What does he listen to in a demo or scratch track, or look for in a chart, to inform his choices behind the drums? With his facility, he can almost literally play anything he wants... that means there's a thought process involved. That's what I'd like to hear his insight on. It's been touched on before I think, but the conversation quickly moves to Zappa stories, what's Sting really like, why do you like Gretsch, etc.

I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
bensdrums

Postby bensdrums » Sat Feb 08, 2020 1:55 am

Thanks Rodge... went back and watched it again, you’re right. Also thanks Paul for your insight as well.
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sat Feb 08, 2020 11:53 pm

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:19 pm

Paul Marangoni wrote:
bensdrums wrote:

He practices regularly. Probably more than anyone on this forum.

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Feb 11, 2020 3:48 am

Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Sun Feb 23, 2020 9:22 pm

Return to “Drumming Chat”