VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

timmy

Re: VINNIE - Vintage videos

Postby timmy » Tue Jun 19, 2012 1:06 pm

the its a shame video , see how vinnie is like ''i could play those fills , but lets just play them just for me !''
Rene

Postby Rene » Sun Jun 24, 2012 10:00 am

Wasn't allowed by YT to watch the Joni Mitchell vids in my country due to copyright violations ..... As I read in many comments, Folks just upload it merely to share beautiful music, and not to violate any copyright laws. :?: The entire Refuge of the roads vid is actually worth paying for .... ;-)

Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sat Jun 30, 2012 3:49 am

One more.
Vinnie soloing at 2:20
Please, someone arrest the lights man...
amoergosum

Postby amoergosum » Thu Jul 19, 2012 11:06 am

Vinnie smoking a cigarette during Englishman in New York >>>

french toast

Postby french toast » Sun Jul 22, 2012 12:32 am

This seems new to me.Sound quality is not bad.

robertopeland

Postby robertopeland » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:51 am

Some great memories from the Paul Jackson Jr. video, live in Rome in 2003.
I was the drum tech for Vinnie for two nights for that event.
I tuned the drums in that way and Vinnie was so happy about the sound. The snare is a Ludwig Supraphonic 6.5"x14", the cymbals are mine, and the Gretsch USA Custom set was rented for the gig.
He was in such a great shape and so happy during the gig and during the masterclass he did along with Abe Laboriel Sr. in the afternoon of the second day in Rome. He came straight from L.A. and came directly to the venue from the airport, and played all the gig reading through all the songs. It was funny because the charts were flying down sometimes during the gig, and it was hard for me to understand the order to put them back in place. Obviously, Vinnie never complained about anything. The sound of his monitors was horrible and he asked me to turn it down completely, and he played all the gig without monitors...
It was a real joy to "share" the stage with him and watching him playing some of the greatest things I've ever seen in my whole life.
It was an absolute experience...
You can see me at 4.51 and better at 5.06, right beyond Paul Jackson while he's soloing...
We stayed at my place for dinner and had a lot of fun and we made the interview that you can read on his web site...
We had a real blast for sure...
Just wanted to share with you all...
Big hugs

BOB
http://soundcloud.com/bob-baruffaldi
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Mon Jul 23, 2012 3:14 pm

Thanks Rob !!
Gaddabout

Postby Gaddabout » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:18 am

I'm probably out on my own in the wilderness here, but Vinnie with Herbie has never worked for me, and I think it's because all I've seen of that group is the Headhunters stuff. Call me a heretic, but it's just never been funky for me. It always sounds like Vinnie using it as an excuse to wank, and Herbie seems to have no qualms with it.

Vinnie doing that with Karizma is different because they have songs that have been identifiable with them for 30 years or whatever it's been, and Vinnie's been a part of that from the beginnin. Vinnie doing that over iconic songs from Thrust or Headhunters, it genuinely bothers me, and I'm not easily bothered. Mike Clark and Harvey Mason built their careers on that stuff for great reasons. They've been sampled a bazillion times for great reasons. Vinnie doing the Vinnie stuff over those songs ... it's like reinterpreting the national anthem. Some songs should retain the things that make them ... I dunno ... sacred.
“Let's try some of my songs.” Dave Grohl, top sign drummer will be fired.
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Tue Jul 24, 2012 3:10 am

I love Vinnie with Herbie. For me it's free of dogmatic attitudes and keeps jazz alive.

Don't always dig Lionel so much, though.
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Tue Jul 24, 2012 4:41 am

Damn, Paul Jackon Jr's music sucks BIG TIME !!! :o
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...

Return to “Drumming Chat”