VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Odd-Arne Oseberg

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Fri Aug 04, 2017 9:43 am

Gonna sit down and watch the whole thing tomorrow.

It would be nice if it was possible to save this to a computer somehow like Hudson Music or online TV services.
jean krupa

Vinnie @ The Ken Cen tonight- WOW

Postby jean krupa » Tue Aug 08, 2017 7:52 pm

I saw/heard Vinnie from an expensive front seat at Wash DC Ken Cen tonight on the Herbie Hancock Band...................Smoke

Always in good form...Funny how Herbie, such a seasoned musician and composer steeped in 60s post bop now for the past 10 years plays NO straight
ahead tunes....all 1/8 note based.

Herbie announced Vinnie recently Married !!!
[/b][/color]
Gossip Corner: Those in the know, TIME TO SHED SOME LIGHT FOR US.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Thu Aug 10, 2017 6:41 am

Ray.
How was the sound up there where you were sitting?

I was pretty far back in the orchestra pit and the sound was horrible. No ghost notes or sublties. The bass was muddy and the drums sounded like they were mixed for a rock show. None of Vinnie's ghost notes or finesse were present from where I was sitting.

However,I could see that he was playing all the sublties. Someone fire the kennedy center sound man.lol...........The DC crowd didn't give the man any love. Typical stuck up Washingtonian behavior. I was the only one who reacted when Herbie asked if any of his disciples were present. Everyone else sat there cold and unaffected as if Vinnie had to prove to them that he is the man.
There is nothing left to say.
Rudy_Ment

Postby Rudy_Ment » Thu Aug 10, 2017 11:50 am

No drums no life, know drums know life...
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:15 pm

Patrick Tiglao wrote:Ray.
How was the sound up there where you were sitting?

I was pretty far back in the orchestra pit and the sound was horrible. No ghost notes or sublties. The bass was muddy and the drums sounded like they were mixed for a rock show. None of Vinnie's ghost notes or finesse were present from where I was sitting.

However,I could see that he was playing all the sublties. Someone fire the kennedy center sound man.lol...........The DC crowd didn't give the man any love. Typical stuck up Washingtonian behavior. I was the only one who reacted when Herbie asked if any of his disciples were present. Everyone else sat there cold and unaffected as if Vinnie had to prove to them that he is the man.

HI PATRICK,
I REALLY WASN'T UP0 [THERE]. I WAS STAGE LEVEL, MEZZANINE, VERY CLOSE TO THE PLAYERS. PURPOSELY BOUGHT THAT SEAT FOR GOOD OPTICS SEEING VINNIE....GUESS WHAT??
JAMES'S RIG BLOCKED DRUMS.....BUT, I COULD SEE VINNIE'S FACE THE WHOLE TIME AND SOME LEFT HAND WORK.
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN....NOT MANY DRUMMERS ACKNOWLEDGED THEIR PRESENCE FOR VINNIE.
THE FIRST TUNE WAS WORTH MY $90 AND "ACTUAL PROOF" WAS A BONUS !!
I WAS ABLE TO GET A NICE BOOT OF THE WHOLE CONCERT ON MY TASCAM.
I'M SURPRISED HOW DARN HEAVY VINNIE HAS BECOME. WHEN HE RUNS OUT TO PLAY FINALE, CHAMELEON, HE WOBBLES, NOT RUNS.
NO ONE CHIMED IN ABOUT HIS MARRIAGE....STILL WONDERING.
GLAD YOU ENJOYED THE SHOW.
Patrick Tiglao

Postby Patrick Tiglao » Thu Aug 10, 2017 12:51 pm

jean krupa wrote:

HI PATRICK,
I REALLY WASN'T UP0 [THERE]. I WAS STAGE LEVEL, MEZZANINE, VERY CLOSE TO THE PLAYERS. PURPOSELY BOUGHT THAT SEAT FOR GOOD OPTICS SEEING VINNIE....GUESS WHAT??
JAMES'S RIG BLOCKED DRUMS.....BUT, I COULD SEE VINNIE'S FACE THE WHOLE TIME AND SOME LEFT HAND WORK.
I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN....NOT MANY DRUMMERS ACKNOWLEDGED THEIR PRESENCE FOR VINNIE.
THE FIRST TUNE WAS WORTH MY $90 AND "ACTUAL PROOF" WAS A BONUS !!
I WAS ABLE TO GET A NICE BOOT OF THE WHOLE CONCERT ON MY TASCAM.
I'M SURPRISED HOW DARN HEAVY VINNIE HAS BECOME. WHEN HE RUNS OUT TO PLAY FINALE, CHAMELEON, HE WOBBLES, NOT RUNS.
NO ONE CHIMED IN ABOUT HIS MARRIAGE....STILL WONDERING.
GLAD YOU ENJOYED THE SHOW.[/quote]

Herbie said it was his 1st marriage....So this leads me to think that Herbie was joking. But who knows. If he did get married then congrats.

Washington post called VC a rock drummer....Again,typical Washingtonian behavior to categorize someone despite the fact that the person they are describing is beyond categorization. They should have described him as a"drumming legend" or "multi faceted"....to quote ginger baker"not a ****ING rock drummer".

Enjoy your boot . I hope your recording picked up a lot of stuff.
The first jam was awesome. The second drum solo was my fav.

It was a great show despite the shortcomings. Even my girl was blown away.
There is nothing left to say.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Thu Aug 10, 2017 4:38 pm

Patrick,
When Vinnie gave me backstage passes for the Constitution Hall gig in December 1984,
he introduced me to his fiancé, Darlene, who was a former Playboy Bunny.
Vinnie later married her and they stayed together a few short years.

So, yes, this is his 2nd Marriage.
kaide

Postby kaide » Sun Aug 13, 2017 4:20 am

I had a priviledge to see Vinnie with Herbie in Finland 3 weeks ago. Here's Vinnie's introduction video:
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Mon Aug 14, 2017 6:08 am

Used that same "secret weapon" line in Molde.

Here's the latest kit: https://www.instagram.com/p/BXv-BBaA-KS/?taken-by=vinniecolaiuta
Odd-Arne Oseberg

Postby Odd-Arne Oseberg » Thu Aug 17, 2017 10:02 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Teaser for the Live Muse video.

My bass dum vision is clearly not too good. Looks like 18" to me so it must be a 20". :lol:

Return to “Drumming Chat”