VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Rodge

Re: VINNIE - The thread about Colaiuta

Postby Rodge » Tue Feb 14, 2023 2:45 pm

I guess Chick had a contract with The Blue Note Tokyo, he could not avoid the release...
Business over artistic choice, but I'm glad that CD was out anyway, guilty pleasure. :-)
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Thu Feb 16, 2023 7:44 am

Chick actually loses 1 on Tumba and asks Vinnie for it resulting in a big SMASH on 1 soon after. Tumba and Humpty are pretty amazing on there - getting the CD and then the videos back then was FUN!
Paul Marangoni

Postby Paul Marangoni » Thu Feb 16, 2023 8:48 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Tumba and Humpty are pretty amazing on there

That whole record is so good! And I love that he's using a double pedal on an 18" bass drum! :)
Lorenzini

Postby Lorenzini » Fri Feb 17, 2023 11:51 am

Steve Holmes wrote:Chick actually loses 1 on Tumba and asks Vinnie for it resulting in a big SMASH on 1 soon after. Tumba and Humpty are pretty amazing on there - getting the CD and then the videos back then was FUN!

I can’t agree more…. It’s one of my favorite live records ever.
jean krupa

Postby jean krupa » Fri Feb 17, 2023 5:49 pm

I was at Chuck Levin's Washington Music Center today
and bought 3 pr of Vinnie Colaiuta Vater sticks.
They feel very good.....I still saw 1/8" off......I do
that to most of the sticks I buy.
Anyone else ?
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:00 pm

jean krupa wrote:I still saw 1/8" off......I do
that to most of the sticks I buy.
Anyone else ?

Nope.
nomsgmusic

Postby nomsgmusic » Sat Feb 18, 2023 1:40 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:Chick actually loses 1 on Tumba and asks Vinnie for it resulting in a big SMASH on 1 soon after. Tumba and Humpty are pretty amazing on there - getting the CD and then the videos back then was FUN!

When I saw the Acoustic Band plus 2 (Wallace Roney and Bob Berg) the week or month before in NYC, Vinnie was losing EVERYBODY! That was, still to this day, the most "drums" I have ever seen someone play on any (actual) GIG (whether it was musical or not could be debated, and has been.) But Lord God Almighty, was Vinnie playing some amazing drums that week!!! Every musician and drummer in the audience was just shaking their heads in disbelief.

That week makes that trio recording (that I love too) sound like Ahmad Jamal "Live at the Pershing." (HA! I love that record too!)

Weird, years later, I had a couple of long conversations with Chick about that week, and the week of the CD, and "hate" is a strong term. He had some issues with it, but I wouldn't say "hate," (nor did Chick use that word.)

MSG
[url][/url]bluejayrecords.com/drumatic
[url][/url]vicfirth.com/artists/mark_griffith.html
Rodge

Postby Rodge » Sat Feb 18, 2023 2:26 pm

Man, indeed that band with Chick, Wallace, Bob, Patitucci and Vinne, writing this I realise that only Vince and John are still among us, was REALLY SAVAGE !!!

I might have some stuff from that band, it was in january 1993, SAVAGE !!!
I come from Tain, Vinnie, Omar, Jeff, Fish, Stewart, and many more...
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Sat Feb 18, 2023 5:18 pm

nomsgmusic wrote:

When I saw the Acoustic Band plus 2 (Wallace Roney and Bob Berg) the week or month before in NYC, Vinnie was losing EVERYBODY! That was, still to this day, the most "drums" I have ever seen someone play on any (actual) GIG (whether it was musical or not could be debated, and has been.) But Lord God Almighty, was Vinnie playing some amazing drums that week!!! Every musician and drummer in the audience was just shaking their heads in disbelief.

That week makes that trio recording (that I love too) sound like Ahmad Jamal "Live at the Pershing." (HA! I love that record too!)

Weird, years later, I had a couple of long conversations with Chick about that week, and the week of the CD, and "hate" is a strong term. He had some issues with it, but I wouldn't say "hate," (nor did Chick use that word.)

MSG

This video Rodge posted has shaken and stirred some drumming vibes.

Noms you have had some fortunate VC experiences!

I was at the baked potato gig. The place was packed. I was hanging onto one of the pole that goes down to the stage. Carmine Appice was there struggling just to get a view of VC. I was hanging on peoples shoulders just to see VInnie .
Steve Holmes
Site Admin

Postby Steve Holmes » Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:28 pm

Bummer theres no video of the Wallace Roney dates. I only have audio from one show - it's amazing.

Return to “Drumming Chat”