Vintage HiFi Suggestions?

drumsrdrugs

Vintage HiFi Suggestions?

Postby drumsrdrugs » Thu Nov 11, 2010 8:24 pm

I tend to listen to a lot of vinyl at home (Jazz/ Rock / Blues) and want to build a vintage (70's/80's) HiFi system that is made for this. Currently I'm using a Technics Tuner and some Energy speakers and I'm missing the warmth, wide picture and low end presence from my records. Any suggestions?? I know this is an area you can go deep (I'm thinking around the 500 dollar range for a tuner and speakers). So far I've been told Marantz turners with Acoustic Research or Advent Loudspeakers are a strong combo.
Ghostnoter

Re: Vintage HiFi Suggestions?

Postby Ghostnoter » Fri Nov 12, 2010 8:19 am

Vintage with warmth. If you can go back a bit, try finding a Fisher tube receiver in decent condition with a phono stage of some sort. "Warmth" is so subjective a subject...you could try AR's, Advent, Alison's, KLH's from around that period. I would suggest trying to get a so-called "accurate" speaker. If you don't require a hearing the foundations of music, anything around 40 cycles or below, a good bookshelf speaker will do the trick; something recent will do too. Try Paradigm speakers or something similar in their bookshelf size or slightly larger.

A turntable with a Grado cartridge will bring some "warmth" to the proceedings. Any receivers or integrated amps during that era [70's-80's] would work, that are solid state in nature. Anything recent would do as well!
(Try Best Buy in your area. There Insignia brand gear is REALLY good at the price point below $500. You could get one of their stereo receivers/speakers...get the [single driver model, mid-woofer/tweeter in the center of the mid-woofer driver/ I forgot the model #] for around $90 the pair. EXCELLENT sounding speakers!!) If you already have a table, try that Grado stereo cartridge, not too pricey a model should bring you the warmth. An integrated amp will do the trick, too. You don't really need a tuner section of a receiver to play vinyl. But it MUST have a stereo phono stage to play back thru the amp and speakers. On decent speaker stands (the book shelf speakers) should set you up for the next decade or so! I hope that helps? I'll be glad to offer any more specific suggestions if needed. Oh, try looking for something used/preowned on Audiogon.com. You will have to establish an account IF you decide to get into working with people. You can browse the site without an account, but to contact and interact you do need to establish yourself for all parties protection...short of that, try ebay for used gear that will fit the criteria you seek.
G
PS: Stay FAR away from Bose. Don't get fooled by the hype! The above is my scattered thinking on the fly. [That accounts for me being all over the place. I didn't feel like editing, so there you have it.] I would really try the Insignia gear @ Best Buy..give it a listen, before you buy...You'll be pleasantly surprised!
Drumolator

Postby Drumolator » Sat Nov 13, 2010 7:41 am

I suggest checking out Boston Acoustic speakers. Those are in the tradition of the "east coast" speaker sound of Advent, AR, etc. Onkyo makes great, not too expensive, receivers that are similar sounding to older receivers. Some of the Sherwood receivers are OK too. Marantz is still around and making great stuff, but it ain't cheap.

Buying old speakers is a risk because of woofer rot. I like the sound you are describing, but I prefer to stick with new stuff. That is just me though. Peace and goodwill.
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:28 pm

Hi DrumsRDrugs,

I got partially into the vintage sound thing last year. I say "partially," because only the speakers are vintage: a mint pair of AR-9s I picked up locally for $700. These have two side-firing "15 woofers on each speaker! They sound amazing, but can be hard to find. They also need a LOT of power (I had to get a Krell amp to get the full sound out of those speakers).

One vintage speaker I heard, however, that seems easier to find and really blew me away was the ADS 710s. I've seen these for as low as $250 ($400 is still reasonable of they're in nice shape). A nice integrated amp would sound really great!

A good source of information on this is the Audiokarma forum. You will have a number of answers in the first day:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

I hope that helps.

Steve Michaud
Steve Michaud

Postby Steve Michaud » Wed Dec 01, 2010 5:31 pm

Steve Michaud wrote:Hi DrumsRDrugs,

I got partially into the vintage sound thing last year. I say "partially," because only the speakers are vintage: a mint pair of AR-9s I picked up locally for $700. These have two side-firing "15 woofers on each speaker! They sound amazing, but can be hard to find. They also need a LOT of power (I had to get a Krell amp to get the full sound out of those speakers).

One vintage speaker I heard, however, that seems easier to find and really blew me away was the ADS 710s. I've seen these for as low as $250 ($400 is still reasonable if they're in nice shape). Couple this with a nice integrated amp, and you would have a wonderful set-up!

A good source of information on this is the Audiokarma forum. You will have a number of answers in the first day:

http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php

I hope that helps.

Steve Michaud
drumsrdrugs

Postby drumsrdrugs » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:00 pm

Thanks guys! Steve, the audio karma site has been a huge help. That's a very cool and active community they have. I've narrowed down my choices (based on my budget) I'm going to get a marantz 2230 or luxman 1050 receiver and either JBL L100 or 4312 speakers. The 4312 are studio monitors from the 80's and they sound incredible. My friend just got a pair and he's running them off an old Sansui receiver he got from goodwill for 6 dollars ( average price on eBay 150+). anyway, I'm super stoked and appreciate the feedback!

Return to “Drumming Chat”