Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Nouveau T-rods and lugs

Clint Hopkins

Re: Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Nouveau T-rods and lugs

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:23 pm

DSOP wrote:
Josiah wrote:Given the same size and heads, a birch drum will have a lower end punch, quicker sound/less sustain and a bit more high end slap.

Yes, in theory, but I had a set of Recording Customs years ago and the bass drums NEVER sounded great. Good, but not great. The videos I see online of the new Birch Custom Absolute sound way different from the old Recording Custom (the toms especially). Could be due to different lugs, different edges, different mounts, and whatever else, but I think I like them a lot.

I watched those Memphis Drum Shop videos before I got my kit and loved the sound of them as well.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:34 pm

All above is right.

Recording Customs and Birch Absolutes are very different drums, shell thickness, edges, number of plies, hardware, etc

That said, recording customs have generated some amazing sounds on 1,000's of albums. The Dave Matthews Band 'Before These Crowded Streets' has some pretty unreal drum sounds, RC's of course.
Last edited by Josiah on Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:37 pm

Josiah wrote:recording customs have generated some amazing sounds. Tons actually. Check out the DMB albums for instance.

Yeah, I know. I must have just had bad luck. But weird that BOTH bass drums (which were purchased several years apart) were duds. They recorded fine, but acoustically, nothing special. This new formula seems to be right on though.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Sun Jan 08, 2012 8:42 pm

The absolutes are super cool. If you can find (or order) the ones with composite lugs even better.

Though the PHX's really toast them all ways to whatever day.
circh bustom

Postby circh bustom » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:17 am

One of the advantages of the Absolute series is you can get the birch toms with a maple bass drum and the finishes will match. DSOP, could it be you just may not like birch bass drums?
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:41 am

circh bustom wrote:One of the advantages of the Absolute series is you can get the birch toms with a maple bass drum and the finishes will match.

That's Gadd's configuration.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:49 am

circh bustom wrote:DSOP, could it be you just may not like birch bass drums?

I really don't know. A friend of mine has an old Recording Custom set (from the early 80s) and his bass drum sounds great. The bass drum on my old Maple Custom Absolute set wasn't especially great either (though it was better than my Recording Custom set). I love the bass drum on my current Gretsch kit, but I had a Gretsch kit years ago with two bass drums, and one of those bass drums sounded amazing, the other not so much.
Josiah

Postby Josiah » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:59 am

Drums are organic, and can vary because of that. That's why it's essential to hear an instrument before you buy it. Unless they are Remo drums.

Can take any number of the same any drum, and they'll sound different. Same way with (higher end) acoustic guitars. Or really any instrument made of organic stuff.

I do believe that drums in particular sound better with age, use and their environment (warm, cold, humid, dry, etc)
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Mon Jan 09, 2012 2:37 pm

Josiah wrote:I do believe that drums in particular sound better with age

Definitely.
jem

Postby jem » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:08 pm

Clint Hopkins wrote:
circh bustom wrote:One of the advantages of the Absolute series is you can get the birch toms with a maple bass drum and the finishes will match.

That's Gadd's configuration.

Don't want to be picky here but Gadd has a Maple Custom bass drum (discontinued), not a Maple Custom Absolute :-)

Now, what is the difference between a Maple Custom Absolute and a Maple Custom bass drum? :-)

Return to “Drumming Chat”