Ndugu Ride

Clint Hopkins

Re: Ndugu Ride

Postby Clint Hopkins » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:05 pm

Phil T. wrote:
Clint Hopkins wrote:I want to know if it comes with rubber grommets for vertical mounting?

Or a reinforcement to avoid keyholing?

For the record, I love a lot of the Paiste lines, have played them for over 20 years, and have never cracked one....

:) That's what I meant. Does anyone actual do that? I've used those grommets for work and thought it might work for guys that mount their ride vertically.
kinkymook

Postby kinkymook » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:43 pm

I mount my ride pretty far up and semi-vertical. It feels comfortable that way for me. That said, what grommets are you talking about? Curious.
Also, for what it's worth, I switched my crash cymbals, a 16 and 17 to Paiste 2002 thin's about a year ago and I'm happy as can be. I've used Sabian and Zildjian in the past (still use a Sab 16 HH thin and a Sab 16 AA Medium Thin at the band practice space) but I've found the Paiste 2002's to be VERY durable and not to mention very clear in my recordings via Logic. I used Signatures in the past and yes, IMO, they cracked very quickly. Unbelievably quickly. Not worth the dough I shelled out. The thing with Paiste is this: consistency and clarity. I've worked in drum shops before, frequent Rupps here in Denver, and it's so weird to me that you can go in, hit some Sabians that sound like gongs (even the thinner models), hit some Zildjians (where, in IMO only the 17 A Customs sound like actual musical cymbals) and then walk over to the Paiste crashes and find some that sound like a cymbal sounds on a recording. The new 602's, especially the crashes, sound like they were created by Gawd, and the 2002's especially really do it for me. I just wish I could find a ride and some hats made by them that make me feel the same way. Sonically, I've not found any that have "the sound" I'm looking for. I'm not "that guy" that has to have cymbals on his kit all from the same brand, but I'd like to be said "guy" if I could find the right sounds...Also, the Twenty series are completely overrated and overpriced. Speaking of that: The Paiste Dark Energy Series are also WAY TOO expensive to me. I'm getting to the point looking at cymbal prices thinking that there's nothing out there worth giving my left nut for. It's getting ridiculous.
I mean, what's the list price on this Ndugu?
My current favorite sounding ride cymbal is the Sabian Crossover. I gotta get one of those! Thoughts?
D.
Clint Hopkins

Postby Clint Hopkins » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:52 am

kinkymook wrote:I mount my ride pretty far up and semi-vertical. It feels comfortable that way for me. That said, what grommets are you talking about? Curious.

These things come in several different sizes:

I've often wondered if they make a big one to use as a port hole ring.

Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:01 am

I bought a set of Dark Energies on-line 4 or 5 years ago at Massmusic.net - and got very reasonable prices for them. I trust Paiste to be consistent enough that I can buy off the rack, and I was right. Didn't hear 'em until they showed up at the door. They work perfectly together. The Mark II 22'" ride is a thing of beauty. Use 17, 18, and 19 crashes with it, and 14 hats. Love that set.

Otherwise, I also love some of the Agop Istanbul and Bosphorus lines. I have a kind of random selection of Agops but wound up with a matched set of Bosphorus that I picked out from sound files at Cymbals Only http://www.cymbalsonly.com/. Tony, the Cymbals Only guy, pulled 'em, set 'em up and played 'em to make sure they fit together. We were both surprised how well they all go together. Not a harsh tone or clash anywhere. It was the Traditional series in 14, 16, 17, 18, 22.

The Zildjian Ks are nice but I haven't liked the As in years. Prefer Sabian if comes to that. YMMV, of course.
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Sat Jan 14, 2012 11:29 am

Phil T. wrote:The Mark II 22'" ride is a thing of beauty.

My favourite ride. :)
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Sat Jan 14, 2012 10:02 pm

DSOP wrote:

Yeah, mine too. Ever.

Second place, for all but a needs-old-K-smoky-jazz-vibe, which I also love, would be a 22" Zildjian A that I picked up around 1979 or 1980 at Leo's in Oakland (back in the day when they had a dozen of each cymbal you might be interested in). At the time we didn't measure 'em in terms of grams. I'd guess this one is medium heavy, let's say 2600 grams, maybe. I don't know. A beautiful cymbal. By comparison, why don't Zildjian As sound this good anymore? It's only 30 years old, but I own a classic A. WTF?? And they can't do this anymore? What?
bigbone

Postby bigbone » Sun Jan 15, 2012 7:05 am

Phil T. wrote:
DSOP wrote:

And they can't do this anymore? What?

Not the same metal , not the same machine, not the same cutter blade.......
DeeP_FRieD

Postby DeeP_FRieD » Sun Jan 15, 2012 6:32 pm

Paiste Formula 602 flat ride.

old_K_ride

Postby old_K_ride » Mon Jan 16, 2012 8:11 am

I have 3 Paiste rides to choose from depending on the gig ; 20" Traditional Medium, 21" Dark Energy Mk1, 20" 2002 Ride
They get the job done for me every time...
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:04 am

bigbone wrote:
Phil T. wrote: And they can't do this anymore? What?

Not the same metal , not the same machine, not the same cutter blade.......

We're talking older As and newer As, right? The differences between Paiste and Zildjian are well known. I'm not sure what happened to the As.

Return to “Drumming Chat”