Ndugu Ride

langmick

Re: Ndugu Ride

Postby langmick » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:37 am

I switched to an all 2002 setup and love it, they fit in with guitars in a really pleasing way. The cymbals have held up very well under a lot of pretty hard hits. You can't base fragility on the old 404 line. :o)

Well, those RUDES were fragile POSes...and they sounded like cast iron.

FWIW, it seems to me that for a while European countries didn't have access to Zildijians, this is before the logistics industry was fully developed, so a lot of older recordings had drummers playing Paistes. Ringo, Nick Mason...

Is Joe Morello's Take Five ride a 602?
funkydrummer

Postby funkydrummer » Wed Jan 18, 2012 5:28 am

langmick wrote:I switched to an all 2002 setup and love it, they fit in with guitars in a really pleasing way. The cymbals have held up very well under a lot of pretty hard hits. You can't base fragility on the old 404 line. :o)

Well, those RUDES were fragile POSes...and they sounded like cast iron.

FWIW, it seems to me that for a while European countries didn't have access to Zildijians, this is before the logistics industry was fully developed, so a lot of older recordings had drummers playing Paistes. Ringo, Nick Mason...

Is Joe Morello's Take Five ride a 602?

I heard somewhere that Morello's ride on that song/album is a 602. I've never owned any Paistes, but have played a bunch of them. The 2002's I've always loved. It's a classic sound to my ears, and I liked the way they felt too.
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:36 am

DSOP wrote:
Robert Bluman wrote:That's why I wrote no offense, just my opinion. Not that I think 'drummer's that play Paiste have no taste', that would rule out my favs. Bonham especially. They break real easy and Paiste's creative process is not creative. They don't make their own complex. They are cookie cutter cymbals. It's just how I feel based on the sound and the info I know about their cymbal making process. To each their own.

Not creative? Break easy? Cookie cutter cymbals? Now that is funny.

Umm yea, Abe Jr breaks them constantly. The reasons I say their cymbal making process is not creative is because it's not creative. It's done by machines. Their manufacturing process is unique and quite different. They press their cymbals from industrial alloy sheets that is supplied to Paiste in huge rolls, to their specifications. The same way car panels are stamped out. This process means that they get uniformity right across their range. Even the hammering is mechanical and even. They don't make their own alloy complex like Zildjian or Sabian. They do not make cymbals in the Turkish or Asian Minor Tradition. Personally, I don't like this. There is no creativity there. All of their 20" Signature rides sound exactly alike because of this. I like each cymbal having individuality and depth. I like the process of a company making their own metal rather than buying it in large sheets and cutting cymbals from it. Paiste cymbals ARE cookie cutter cymbals, whether you agree or not, that's how they make them. If you find humor in this, maybe take it up with the swiss embassy lol.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:14 am

DSOP wrote:http://www.paiste.com/e/news.php?menuid=39&actn=det&newsid=1156

Which begs the question, does Ndugu get paid to endorse this cymbal and for Paiste to use his name?
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:18 am

Robert Bluman wrote:That's why I wrote no offense, just my opinion. Not that I think 'drummer's that play Paiste have no taste', that would rule out my favs. Bonham especially. They break real easy and Paiste's creative process is not creative. They don't make their own complex. They are cookie cutter cymbals. It's just how I feel based on the sound and the info I know about their cymbal making process. To each their own.

There is some truth to this. Paiste does make very uniform sounding cymbals. Which means you can buy one online and pretty much know what you're getting, unlike Zildjian for which differing cymbal lines and models are nearly meaningless. Not that that's a bad thing. It just means that I'm always looking/listening for "that" Z.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
DSOP

Postby DSOP » Wed Jan 18, 2012 10:24 am

Robert Bluman wrote:Umm yea, Abe Jr breaks them constantly. The reasons I say their cymbal making process is not creative is because it's not creative. It's done by machines. Their manufacturing process is unique and quite different. They press their cymbals from industrial alloy sheets that is supplied to Paiste in huge rolls, to their specifications. The same way car panels are stamped out. This process means that they get uniformity right across their range. Even the hammering is mechanical and even. They don't make their own alloy complex like Zildjian or Sabian. They do not make cymbals in the Turkish or Asian Minor Tradition. Personally, I don't like this. There is no creativity there. All of their 20" Signature rides sound exactly alike because of this. I like each cymbal having individuality and depth. I like the process of a company making their own metal rather than buying it in large sheets and cutting cymbals from it. Paiste cymbals ARE cookie cutter cymbals, whether you agree or not, that's how they make them. If you find humor in this, maybe take it up with the swiss embassy lol.

Who has a patented alloy? Who first came up with the flat ride? Who can perform magic with B8? As for "being done by machines", you're way off base. I've been to the factory. Those guys use machines, but they control every aspect. There is just as much machinery if not more at the other big manufacturers. Besides, as far as I'm concerned, the end result is superb. If Abe Laboriel Jr. breaks them "constantly" (as you say, although I highly doubt) he could easily switch to any other brand; yet he doesn't. I wonder why?

Your posts are always way off base and on the verge of troll-dom.
Phil T.

Postby Phil T. » Wed Jan 18, 2012 11:53 am

Further to the "they don't make their own [alloy]" comment, note that the late Roberto Spizzichino didn't manufacture his own alloy either. He "merely" hammered and lathed cymbal blanks supplied by others. Yet the results were uniquely Spizzichino and are highly sought after.

Blanket statements get us nowhere.
matthughen

Postby matthughen » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:56 pm

Steve Holmes wrote:I just wanna see some funny photoshops of this.

Last edited by matthughen on Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:11 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kurtis

Postby Kurtis » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:18 pm

^^^ that should have been the first post. nice
Julián Fernández

Postby Julián Fernández » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:03 pm

Who cares how they make their cymbals if they sound right?
Would love to try some Paistes soon... btw, guys raving about those rides should post some clips! :mrgreen:

Return to “Drumming Chat”