Carlock moves to Grestch

markie04drum

Re: Carlock moves to Grestch

Postby markie04drum » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:23 pm

I would think for a world class musician (Vinnie, Gadd, Carlock, Dennis, etc. level), having gear almost anywhere in the world, having as much supply of heads, sticks, cymbals as they need, would be enough to endorse a company they believe in. Seems like a pretty fair trade. Of course with paid clinics, autograph sessions at NAMM type shows, etc.

That said, I have zero experience myself in the world of endorsements. If I had my choice of gear like some of the A list players you better believe I would do an occasional photo shoot in trade for gear. Gigs, sessions, and royalties pay my bills and my tools are free? Yes, Please, and Thank you.

A friend of my dad has an automotive tv show. Ford and a few tool companies are sponsors. They don't pay him directly, but give him all the tools he could ever need and last year Ford actually gave him a prototype 2012 Ford Boss 302 engine as a gift!

Also, someone mentioned not getting paid for late night (Letterman, Leno, Conan) shows. That is not completely true. I do have a few close friends who have done quite a few and were actually paid.

I know we have some big name pros on here (Peter Erskine, Gavin, Sucherman) that may or may not want to chime in to drop the facts and settle this.

I never understand the arguing and harshness over speculation.

Oh yeah, to the the topic. I am curious to hear Keith on Gretsch. They are both great drums, with very different sounds.
bstocky

Postby bstocky » Fri Jan 13, 2012 7:46 pm

He's going to sound exactly the same.
Henry II

Postby Henry II » Fri Jan 13, 2012 8:30 pm

chris perra wrote:I've never heard from an endorser that they've been paid to use their products..

I know a few A listers for Sonor and Yamaha and while they'll get what they need to perform live or in the studio.. The most they'll get these days is to keep a kit they've used for a tour.. And for most regular level endorsers,.. They might get a free kit, but everything else is at a discount..Around cost or a bit more..

Most of the time when endorsee's are coming up.. They are looking for an endorsement.. The drum brand isn't looking for the artist..
Perhaps if someone is already established.. there might be an incentive to steal an artist for profile..and pay them..

But I think from the endorsees I know it has more to do with the relationships you have with the companies..
People come and go in the industry,.. Products change. Endorsee input level can change.. It's more likely things like that that would make an artist move from one company to another..

FYI, the endorsee is the drum company. The drummer is the endorser.
Ok, ok! My real name is Go F. Yourself Facebook, III
cjbdrm

Postby cjbdrm » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:20 pm

I remember seeing Keith playing his Gretsch drums in '97 with Wayne Krantz- they sounded great.
chris perra

Postby chris perra » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:00 am

Henry II wrote:
chris perra wrote:I've never heard from an endorser that they've been paid to use their products..

I know a few A listers for Sonor and Yamaha and while they'll get what they need to perform live or in the studio.. The most they'll get these days is to keep a kit they've used for a tour.. And for most regular level endorsers,.. They might get a free kit, but everything else is at a discount..Around cost or a bit more..

Most of the time when endorsee's are coming up.. They are looking for an endorsement.. The drum brand isn't looking for the artist..
Perhaps if someone is already established.. there might be an incentive to steal an artist for profile..and pay them..

But I think from the endorsees I know it has more to do with the relationships you have with the companies..
People come and go in the industry,.. Products change. Endorsee input level can change.. It's more likely things like that that would make an artist move from one company to another..

FYI, the endorsee is the drum company. The drummer is the endorser.

Hah ha.. True...
Mark P

Postby Mark P » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:06 pm

I'm a DW endorser and can tell you first hand that NO drummer is paid to play their product. That comes from as high up as it gets at DW.

Product support is more than enough of a reason (besides the love for a product from an endorser - you'd hope!!) to align yourself with a company if you are a professional touring musician, although I can't speak for any other company but DW about financial remuneration for endorsements.

MP
Juan Expósito

Postby Juan Expósito » Sun Jan 15, 2012 1:23 pm

Thanks Mark.
Can someone tell the different levels of support from the companys to the drummers, from the "low profile" to the highest drummer in their line.
I mean, simply speaking:
Level 1: 30% discount
Level 2:...
Level 10: Support everywhere you need it, free drumsets...

On this matter, it has to be some difference between a drummer with low exposure and someone like Mike Portnoy.
drumnhands

Postby drumnhands » Mon Jan 16, 2012 9:34 am

Josiah wrote:Why would anyone publicize any brand at that level for free? That would be just silly.

Hurdy der i'll just expose your brand in front of millions of people, publicly state it's the best, do clinics for your company and all for free!

...right.

And Henry II, GFY

Artists get paid for clinics, not for endorsing that brand. Once an artist has established themselves to the point where they are in demand for clinics, they do get paid a fee that is negotiated and typically split among the companies they endorse. In return for endorsments, they get support when they tour which saves them time, money, and the comfort of being able to play a kit they are comfortable with virtually anywhere in the world." A" cevel artists receive free gear from time to time, and get parts and a very high level of service. It's been proven that paying drummers to endorse doesn't work. There is a company that paid several guys a good chunk to come on board, once the money was gone.....so were they. A paid endorsement is worthless because it means nothing.
Matus

Postby Matus » Tue Jan 17, 2012 7:00 am

Juan Expósito wrote:Thanks Mark.
Can someone tell the different levels of support from the companys to the drummers, from the "low profile" to the highest drummer in their line.
I mean, simply speaking:
Level 1: 30% discount
Level 2:...
Level 10: Support everywhere you need it, free drumsets...

On this matter, it has to be some difference between a drummer with low exposure and someone like Mike Portnoy.

Endorsement numbers aren't the kind of thing I like talking about in public, but yeah, there are different levels, although I don't know the details for each one. I can only talk about my own. In Spain, the most important thing I get from Yamaha (besides a certain discount) is support. So far that's meant clinics, borrowing equipment, kit rental, replacement parts... When you're gigging around/touring that's what really saves your life and there's really no difference for other national artists. We all get the same treatment.
As for Paiste, they're very diverse. Some artists endorse specifically a cymbal line like Alpha or Twenty to give it some extra promotion (Signature and 2002 pretty much promote themselves). Besides that, the higher national deal was full national logistic support, a first cymbal set, a really high discount and basically everything they can do for you promotion-wise. International artists get bigger deals, of course.
facebook.com/carlosexpositooficial
instagram.com/carlosexposito
Robert Bluman

Postby Robert Bluman » Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:50 am

bigbone wrote:NOT one drummer is payed to play a brand of drum, not one drum company pay there endorsee, the only thing
that they sometime promise, is a number of clinic every years, this is were they got ''payed'', by doing clinic,
and free gear when your are on the '' 5 stars'' roster. anything else is Bull.....

Yea, this is not true at all. Otherwise everyone would play Gretsch. I know several drummers being paid. I do know first hand that Weckl and Gadd are on the Yamaha japan payroll. If you think about it, it makes sense. Both of them played Gretsch before they had endorsements. Why wouldn't they still play Gretsch? Yamaha pays. I know that DDrum of all companies pays their top endorsers. I even heard there was financial incentive for Peter Erskine to sign with DW. A handful of top guns do get paid to play a product. Very few, but it does happen. The guys that play Gretsch do so because they love Gretsch. A testament to that sound. If you were a drum maker and Dave Weckl wanted a small salary in addition to gear to play your product, it would be a wise investment. They sell drums.

Return to “Drumming Chat”